Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

My endorsements for City of Warren primaries

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

My endorsements for City of Warren primaries

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Even though I haven't lived in Warren for the past 33 months, I've taken notice of the candidates who are running for citywide office.

I am 100% convinced that the clandestine audio recordings of Mayor Jim Fouts disparaging African Americans, the mentally disabled, and certain females and former staff members are 100% authentic.

I'm also convinced - from years of observing Fouts' conduct at council meetings that he chaired and his bizarre attacks against individuals he perceives as foes - that the man is mentally unstable.

These traits are unfortunate, because from a fiscal management perspective, Fouts has done a solid job of managing city government.

His character flaws make him unfit to continue to serve, however.

There is one candidate running against Fouts who is more than qualified to successfully manage city government and restore dignity to the mayor's office, and that candidate is KELLY COLEGIO.

Ms. Colegio has been active in Warren community organizations for many years and is completing her second term on city council. In her first year in office, she was instrumental in aiding recovery from August 2014's devastating floods. She mobilized various non-profit organizations, including the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief - whose volunteers were still serving in Warren many months after the actual disaster occurred.

She has conducted herself with professionalism on council and evaluated all proposed ordinances based on their merit, not by who supported or didn't support such legislation. She bravely & forcefully spoke out against Mayor Fouts' conduct on the audio recordings even though she was initially allied with him when she first ran for city office. Sadly, others who were part of the "Fouts Team" offered unwavering support for the Mayor or were simply too scared to confront him (*cough* Ron Papandrea *cough*).

I am convinced Colegio would make a fine mayor.

The next candidate I endorse is DONNA KACZOR CAUMARTIN, who is running for City Clerk. Ms. Caumartin served with distinction on city council about a decade ago, and was arguably one of only two councilmembers who didn't get caught up in the Steenbergh v. Fouts feud that bitterly divided council for years.

On matters such as tax abatement requirements and rezoning variances, Caumartin displayed an impressive knowledge of technical details, asked insightful questions, and treated her fellow councilpeople, residents, and all parties petitioning council with sincerity & respect. She always displayed solid attention to detail and is a highly organized individual, and likely would prove to be an effective city clerk.

This is not to say the current interim city clerk is doing an inadequate job; I simply am not able to form an opinion of Ms. Buffa's performance since I have no prior familiarity with her and no longer reside within the city.

Keith Sadowski, longtime councilman who is term limited, is running for the city clerk's job and probably would handle the office well. However, I think Caumartin is the superior candidate. The one candidate for that office who should be avoided like the bubonic plauge is Joseph M. Hunt, who is a protege of disgraced county clerk, weirdo and alleged elder abuser Karen M. Spranger.

Y M Ionhere

Re: My endorsements for City of Warren primaries

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 am

The chances of that NOT being Fouts voice on the recordings are very slim.
Warrens racial demographics are quickly changing, too, so that likely wont bode well for him.
I wonder, if Fouts loses, will he accept it? He doesnt seem the type to just give up. And am I wrong in feeling as if he is also the type who might try to rig an election?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Sadly, I think Fouts will win easily.

There are no statewide or federal races on the ballot. That means turnout will overly consist of Caucasian senior citizens. Most of those folks adore Fouts and cannot reconcile what they hear on those tapes with the man they think they know.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Where do the candidates stand on development and the interests of property owners? In Ann Arbor, we have a 7-4 majority of sensible council members who don't approve every awful developmental and respect property owners. Unfortunately, the mayor is in the minority and it takes 80% to overturn his childish vetoes.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Well, when I lived in the city, I saw several poorly conceived site plans spring to life.

To Jim Fouts' credit (as much as I hate to give that man credit), as a city councilman, he vocally spoke out against the hideously configured residential portion of the Heritage Village project near 12 Mile & Mound Rd. Numerous zoning variances were allowed to be disregarded because that farkakte project was approved as a Planned Unit Development.

He also opposed the lavish amount of funds spent on the Warren City Hall - $75 million. For that price, a new city hall and a new court house probably could've - and should've - been built.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:53 pm

He is cleaning out the trailer park. The park on 8 Mile from the Eminem movie is now almost fully abandoned and virtually all remaining units have condemned stickers.
Only problem is, where are all the poor people going to go? This may sound like a joke, but its not. Affordable housing is at a shortage. Hazel Park is being repopulated by hipsters and artists which drove up values.. Madison Heights is now overpriced. Roseville isnt big enough to house all of them. Fouts' determination to attack trailer parks and clear them out is an attack on the poor, who have fewer and fewer places to go and as far as im concerned, it seems like he is going hard on privately owned property. He is forcing the evacuation of privately held housing communities serving the most needy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic