Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kevin Dietz supporters push back

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
lovinlife101

Re: Kevin Dietz supporters push back

Post by lovinlife101 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:10 pm

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:24 pm
I don't blame Dietz' supporters,as Dietz' joke referenced the difficulty in bringing needed diversity to TV news . (And other forms of journalism .) The African-American reporter wasn't offended,and while perhaps Dietz should have been suspended for a week for violating company policy re. possibly racially insensitive remarks,firing him was far,far out of line. I hope Dietz sues WDIV and wins a major settlement .
The joke referenced the difficulty of hiring minorities, but said the black reporter needed cropped out of the photo? Isn’t that the opposite of what he’s trying to say? That makes no sense!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:15 pm

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:55 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:10 pm
borderboy653659200 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:24 pm
I don't blame Dietz' supporters,as Dietz' joke referenced the difficulty in bringing needed diversity to TV news . (And other forms of journalism .) The African-American reporter wasn't offended,and while perhaps Dietz should have been suspended for a week for violating company policy re. possibly racially insensitive remarks,firing him was far,far out of line. I hope Dietz sues WDIV and wins a major settlement .
The joke referenced the difficulty of hiring minorities, but said the black reporter needed cropped out of the photo? Isn’t that the opposite of what he’s trying to say? That makes no sense!
It makes no sense because we don't have the full context of what was said because we were not there when it was said, and we don't know the working relationship of those involved.

My suspicion is that this was an inside joke among those present meant to slam newsroom management.
Dietz tried to explain it as saying there’s not enough black people in the biz so he said to have the black guy cropped out of a photo. Yep. Get that shovel! He’s digging himself deeper. No wonder he quit.

It’s like someone saying, “I hate fags!” Then someone calls them out on it and that same person saying, “Oh, uh, I was pointing out how people call members of the LGBTQ+ community names. And how that’s, uh, wrong. I had to, uh, use strong language to get people’s attention. Yeah.”

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:53 pm
I share your skepticism with regard to Dietz's explanation. In Detroit, African Americans have held prominent news anchor & reporting positions for several decades.

I think he probably had a drink or two and made a crude, ill-advised joke out of thin air.
He likely was intoxicated and didn’t even remember what he said.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:12 am
There needs to be a War on Zero Tolerance Policies of any kind. We have to reinstate COMMON SENSE into stupid Human Resources procedures.
Intelligence is hard work. Zero Tolerance policies require no intelligence or effort. That’s why HR departments have them.

Logic, reason, and common sense: “Individuals and circumstances are different so they should be handled uniquely.”

HR: (paints on blackface) “Ain’t nobody got time fuh dat!”

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:39 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:23 am
Not to mention that Human Resources tells outright lies, in addition to being intractably inflexible.
Touche’

They’ll railroad out loyal employees while the lazy and ignorant get promoted. So glad I don’t have to rely on traditional income anymore.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:30 am

screen glare wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:38 am
Sounds like management wanted him gone for another reason and are using this excuse instead. Real reason could be his age? Longtime prominent employees in any industry usually make more money. Replacing with a person who will work for less is common. Or maybe his health isn’t good? Illness of addiction or some other malady? All common reasons that are covered with some other excuse. Par for the course. Especially if there’s no union.
Management wants everyone making more than minimum wage to quit and replace them with people making minimum wage.

If management fires someone, that employee could sue them, so they lazily keep them on the payroll with hopes of them quitting soon or getting caught up in a scandal which justifies termination.

WDIV doesn’t care if Dietz goes to the competition because there is no competition any more. They’re all just trying to survive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic