Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is Bill McAllister voicetracking mornings at 106.7 Fake Wheels?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Is Bill McAllister voicetracking mornings at 106.7 Fake Wheels?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 am

The guy talks a grand total of four to five minutes an hour. He back sells the last song played or front sells the song about to play, and at times, reads a note card briefly discussing a current contest or the next live remote.

He plays a song playlist that is pre-loaded into a computer developed by iHeart's corporate programming staff and doesn't take listener requests.

There is no news, no sports, and no cross-dialogue with the traffic lady. Zero discussion of current events.

If he's getting paid to sit on his ass every morning and read cue cards with zero ad-libbing, I want that job! :hat

Instead, I suspect he's tracking each morning's show the day before, probably over the course of 30 minutes, which means - he's getting paid squat.

Can anyone shed light on this? I'm hard-pressed to believe the current state of affairs is 106.7's long-term strategy for mornings.

Mega Hertz

Re: Is Bill McAllister voicetracking mornings at 106.7 Fake Wheels?

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:16 am

Well, they post videos of him in the studio in the morning, they seem live, but even those could be pre-recorded.

I have to believe they're "keeping the seat warm". There's no way they leave THAT as a morning show. Unless Bill becomes their "man in the studio" during the syndicated show they start airing.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:38 am

I dont know if Bill is VT'ed but listening to Trudi it sounds like she is.Sometimes the background music is louder than her voice and hard to distinguish what she said.

When they hired Trudi I first thought that she would be joining Bill morn. down the road.That was there long range plan.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

deadend

Post by deadend » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Bill McCallster? The same asshole that was on 97.1? 🤮 how’d he get another job in radio, let alone in this market??? Well, thanks for the heads up. I now know when to avoid that station.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:02 am

I mean, come on. You're gonna leave mornings and middays to people who probably never, if ever, actually DJed? Bill was on a talk station, and Trudi was news on a morning show. No way it stays this way.

-TurkeyTop

hmtb44

Post by hmtb44 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:54 am

I think they are both in studio. Tried calling in to win tickets. And whoever answered the phone sure sounded like bill and Trudi

Won tix from Bill and if it sure sounded like him on the other end of the phone taking my info.
But I could be wrong.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:01 am

If he's live - that's rather incredible. He does next to NOTHING on the air. Sometimes, 45 minutes or more pass without him saying a single word.

Trudi was a midday jock at 105.1 up north for all of six months (maybe a little longer) - voicetracked, of course. I believe that is her only prior music daypart experience.

The station is filled with WRIF cast-offs yet is using the "WLLZ" and "Wheels" branding. Hilarious!!!

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 am

Trudi Daniels does a MUCH better job hosting middays on Wheels than Juline Jordan does on CSX...CSX is the most boring "classic rock" station I've ever heard. Are you on Beasley's payroll, MW? lol

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:17 am

No, MW isn't a H*** fan of WCSX these days. He just mentioned "inane chatter" in another thread recently.

I, personally, would love to see a return of a station that makes it about the music. I was once told that "everything that can be said about classic rock has been said". I disagree. It's the same logic of "We play "Don't Stop Believing" constantly because there's always someone hearing it for the first time". Well, in that sense, someone might hear for the first time that Van Halen demoed "Beautiful Girls" under the name "Bring on the Girls". Little tidbits. Or mention if an album was released on this day in whatever year, or set up a teaser about it for an upcoming song.

Enough with these formatics:

*Hotel California fades out*

"94.7 WCSX, I just farted in the studio, it smells like baby food in here. I think I may have to go take a dump. Even though I took a dump an hour ago."

*Commercial starts*

Between Dahmer and JT, I'm about ready to take them off my presets. WMMQ is quickly becoming my first choice for classic rock, followed by 103.9 the Fox. Jeremy Fenech, who I worked with many years ago, sounds great. I was really enjoying his break before I even heard his name. I'm really starting to prefer small/medium market stations to shit like I posted above.

I used to get it pounded into my brain when I was at Magic 105.1 also that the music is secondary. We were a "lifestyle" station. I guess I can understand that at an AC station, but classic rock? Maybe I just don't get it. That's why I loved Kostan so much. Dude knew his music and wasn't afraid to make it a centerpiece of his show. I'm so tired of car dealership reads or "A Florida man..." or other useless junk. Small wonder why people are flocking to Spotify and Pandora and YouTube.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Mega is correct.

Lest there be any doubt - I absolutely loathe the fact Dave Dahmer handles afternoon drive, and Jerry Tarrants at night - the guy who hired Dahmer - is a no-talent bore.

I actually like Juline Jordan's on-air work, but Donielle Flynn (who handles weekends) would sound better in that daypart.

The fact Steve Kostan was ever fired from WCSX is an outrage. I agree with your opinion of Kostan 100%, Mega!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:01 am
If he's live - that's rather incredible. He does next to NOTHING on the air. Sometimes, 45 minutes or more pass without him saying a single word.

Trudi was a midday jock at 105.1 up north for all of six months (maybe a little longer) - voicetracked, of course. I believe that is her only prior music daypart experience.

The station is filled with WRIF cast-offs yet is using the "WLLZ" and "Wheels" branding. Hilarious!!!
You may want to study your history here. The original Wheels was heavily staffed with former WRIF talent. Some jumped ship, others were, as you say, cast-offs. So it's not that big of a stretch to see it happen again.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:27 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:01 am

You may want to study your history here. The original Wheels was heavily staffed with former WRIF talent. Some jumped ship, others were, as you say, cast-offs. So it's not that big of a stretch to see it happen again.
Can you clarify? I don't know much about WLLZ prior to roughly 1988 or so, but aside from JJ and Calvert, who else was there between 1980 and 1995?

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 pm

Of the current staff at 106.7 Fake Wheels, only ONE individual (!!!) ever worked at the real WLLZ. That would be Doug Podell.

Yes, I'm full aware of the fact Ken Calvert worked at both WRIF & WLLZ, Jim Johnson, George Baier, and probably others. NONE of those people are involved with the current incarnation of WLLZ.

I understand your point, though. During the 80's multiple people moved back & forth between WRIF and WLLZ, and the current state of affairs in some respects is similar to what occurred then.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:19 pm

...and WABX and W4. Most jocks worked at 3 of the 4. Kostan was never at WLLZ; neither was Savelly. I think Calvert and Podell were the only ones to work all all of the "Big 4" of classic Detroit rock stations. Penhallow, of course, was at WRIF his whole tenure. O'Leary never did WRIF, Jerry Lubin did a stint at WLLZ in the mid 80s.

-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 am
The guy talks a grand total of four to five minutes an hour. He back sells the last song played or front sells the song about to play, and at times, reads a note card briefly discussing a current contest or the next live remote.

He plays a song playlist that is pre-loaded into a computer developed by iHeart's corporate programming staff and doesn't take listener requests.

There is no news, no sports, and no cross-dialogue with the traffic lady. Zero discussion of current events.

If he's getting paid to sit on his ass every morning and read cue cards with zero ad-libbing, I want that job! :hat

Instead, I suspect he's tracking each morning's show the day before, probably over the course of 30 minutes, which means - he's getting paid squat.

Can anyone shed light on this? I'm hard-pressed to believe the current state of affairs is 106.7's long-term strategy for mornings.
You've just described the behavior of every iheart dj

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic