Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Big8radio.com - Online Tribute Radio Station

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
blizzard

Big8radio.com - Online Tribute Radio Station

Post by blizzard » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:04 pm

iloveblackpeople

Re: Big8radio.com - Online Tribute Radio Station

Post by iloveblackpeople » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 am

Isn't CKWW essentially that already?

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:07 am

Are you listening to Big8Radio.com? Former CKLW/CKWW jock and PD Charlie O'Brien is the guy behind this one.

They've never played an 80's or 90's song any time I've listened. All 60's and 70's with some 50's mixed in. Some great CanCon rarities, and CKLW airchecks.

There is another unrelated station on TuneIn called "The Big 8".

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Not all the CanCon was worth skipping. I recall the evening show “On The Edge” in the early 80’s, and besides playing about the first 2 minutes of each song before starting another one, there were some opportunities to hear acts like Payola$, Prism, The Kings, Chilliwack, Red Rider, Loverboy, Rough Trade, April Wine and even early Bryan Adams before he went Hollywood.

I’ve liked the Big 8 radio site. Former CKLW jock Super Max has his own site as well. He does a morning show there weekdays, but his has some more recent 80’s music, plus he’s supporting Veterans (he’s one himself) through efforts on the online station. http://supermaxradio.com/

Perhaps you could spearhead an online revival of Q-Sky radio? I’m not sure if Laura Coe or Eric Swan would be up for it, but I’m sure there’s a lot of people who would like the sounds of the station where they “never come down to earth”.

ascher2

Post by ascher2 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 pm

I truly enjoy Big 8 Radio. It's like driving around in my car in the 60's listening to all the hits, all the time. Charley O'Brien has done a great job of recreating the sound many of us grew up with. He also hosts request shows and special programming that I really enjoy.

Tune in!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:24 am

I once worked for a man who had been a PD at WIXY 1260. He let me listen to (and I have a cassette copy of somewhere) some WIXY ID’s he’d worked on - I recall the year was mentioned, followed by “WIXY rememberers!”

Fans of CKLW may have seen this film, but I haven’t bought my copy yet - still plan to. I’d met some of the classic jocks in the 70’s and 80’s, and saw the studios, but it’s only my part of the experience - the film has a lot of great insight into that era:

http://radiorevolutiondvd.com/about.html

The Q-Sky staff from “FM” were led by a character played by Michael Brandon. They don’t go into as much of his story in the movie as in the book based upon the screenplay. It expands on the script and presents it in novel form. I found that book at the time:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/810439.FM

and the film itself was just released on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4PBTC4/re ... oDbW2TJZH9

So we can relive our memories with Q-Sky, both figuratively and literally, in a couple of different media options. Jeff, were you included in the interviews?

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 am

Then I’ll assume Michael Brandon’s part covers your recollections of the era.

Is Dick Biondi heard on the WCFL site? I got to hear him speak once at an event in the 80’s, after he’d returned to Chicago.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:43 am

WLS and WCFL had quite the war back in the 70's.......when Lujack was the morn guy at CFL.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 pm

I started a separate thread about this, but I'll post the link here:

http://worfm.com

This is a site dedicated to the glory days of New York's WOR-FM and its successor WXLO. Plenty of airchecks ranging from WOR-FM's early days as a Progressive Rock station, to the Bill Drake "More Music" era, to the Top 40 days of 99X. The site also features a comprehensive history of the station, including promotional materials of the day.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:36 am

This guy has a great YouTube channel dedicated to classic Top 40 airchecks, mainly from the 70's:

https://www.youtube.com/user/indychauffuer/videos

Every once in a while he runs into a snag where the RIAA gets YouTube to block the audio on random unscoped airchecks. He appeals to YouTube based on the fact that the airchecks are posted for historical purposes and not intended to encourage piracy (like someone is actually going to pirate music from a 45 year-old AM mono recording), and gets the blocks lifted. After a while the RIAA comes back and wants another unscoped aircheck blocked, starting the whole process again. The channel owner once compared it to a game of Whack-a-Mole.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:33 pm

Join the Big8Radio Hallowe'en Special Sunday night at 7pm ET.
We'll play the three hour Ted Richards Hallowe'en Show from 1974 - but sadly only the edited version exists.
Plus, plenty of Hallowe'en classics!
Brush off those cobwebs and join in Sunday night at 7pm
streaming at www.big8radio.com
:hat

Deleted User 15688

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:05 pm

Big 8 radio.com is a poor recreation of the original Big 8. The Big 8 certainly didn't play 80's music so why in the hell is this tribute station doing 80's in the playlist. Here's a much better station www.sf70s.com or www.wknrfm.com kick back and enjoy.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:48 pm

I still prefer hearing music on the Airwves and not so much on the internet. Prefer AM since FM is nearly all HipHop and "urban" themes . Dont get me wrong, I love R&B and MOtown music, but this "modern" stuff is NASTY.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic