Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NMI Tropo Tonight

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
TVC_DX5678

NMI Tropo Tonight

Post by TVC_DX5678 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:52 pm

While the winter is mainly a dead zone for DX, right now I'm getting some decent tropo. It's the usual stuff, but with local WWMN off-air, M106.3 out of GR is coming in like a semi-local, as well as B103.9 Big Rapids overtaking WCMW, and 102.3 Big Rapids as well. Again, it's nothing special, but still nice to have during a DX drought.

Turkeytop

Re: NMI Tropo Tonight

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:38 pm

TVC_DX5678 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:52 pm
While the winter is mainly a dead zone for DX, right now I'm getting some decent tropo. It's the usual stuff, but with local WWMN off-air, M106.3 out of GR is coming in like a semi-local, as well as B103.9 Big Rapids overtaking WCMW, and 102.3 Big Rapids as well. Again, it's nothing special, but still nice to have during a DX drought.

Right after you posted, I had to take the car out to pick up something. I took a quick scan of the dial while I was out. There were a few unexpected stations, but I didn't stay with anything long enough to get an ID.

I stopped my scanning when I hit upon an ICI french language station on 89.9. They had a good program of jazz music going. ICI is a lot like Radio II used to be until they flipped it to the their all garage band format. We don't have an ICI transmitter here locally. I wish we had.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Tropo has mostly calmed down here from earlier this afternoon and evening. Not a lot more of interest here in Fremont, or at least not that I've bothered to pay attention to.

Earlier, very strong tropo to Fort Wayne (170 mi., especially 98.1, 89.1, etc. which are usuals), Windsor yet barely Detroit (89.9 CBC in with classical), some from the north, some Wausau, etc. Not as strong as last week's 5-day opening to Detroit, Toledo, Dayton, Columbus, etc. but just enough to pay attention to it.

Turkeytop, it's surprising you got Paris on 89.9. That doesn't get out well into Michigan with 100kw CBC in the way usually, except into the Thumb area. What is your location? I don't really think ICI has changed since it was Premiere Chaine. Just different branding. CBC Music is the one that has changed since its Radio 2 days. CBC Music plays a lot more indie and mainstream side by side compared to what they used to play as Radio 2 (more classical-heavy than they are now).

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:37 pm

cckadlec wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 pm
Tropo has mostly calmed down here from earlier this afternoon and evening. Not a lot more of interest here in Fremont, or at least not that I've bothered to pay attention to.

Earlier, very strong tropo to Fort Wayne (170 mi., especially 98.1, 89.1, etc. which are usuals), Windsor yet barely Detroit (89.9 CBC in with classical), some from the north, some Wausau, etc. Not as strong as last week's 5-day opening to Detroit, Toledo, Dayton, Columbus, etc. but just enough to pay attention to it.

Turkeytop, it's surprising you got Paris on 89.9. That doesn't get out well into Michigan with 100kw CBC in the way usually, except into the Thumb area. What is your location? I don't really think ICI has changed since it was Premiere Chaine. Just different branding. CBC Music is the one that has changed since its Radio 2 days. CBC Music plays a lot more indie and mainstream side by side compared to what they used to play as Radio 2 (more classical-heavy than they are now).

My location is London ON, about 40 miles from Paris.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic