Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan's priorities

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan's priorities

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Now that we have elected a moderate as governor who can work with either party, what do you feel Michigan's priorities should be?

My list off the top of my head:
Eliminate any Line 5 deal
Affordable Housing
Fix Flint Water issues
Roads (not much of a problem in Northern Michigan)
Stabilize ACA
Auto insurance (again, not a big issue in Northern Michigan)

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Michigan's priorities

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:07 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm
Now that we have elected a moderate as governor who can work with either party, what do you feel Michigan's priorities should be?

My list off the top of my head:
Eliminate any Line 5 deal
Affordable Housing
Fix Flint Water issues
Roads (not much of a problem in Northern Michigan)
Stabilize ACA
Auto insurance (again, not a big issue in Northern Michigan)
Nobody lives in Northern Michigan in case you haven’t noticed...

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 am

With state senate districts being redrawn (perhaps less favorably - prop 3?) before the next election AND several moderate republicans in the house, Whitmer may get more done then I thought she would. Her big challange may not be splitting her own party like she may do by passing auto insurance reform with mostly republican votes.

I am surprised at how many healthcare industry people she has surrounded herself with. Her moderate campaign was not show, rather reality. Her olive branch to Duggan was brilliant, as the above poster implied, SE Michigan is half our state, Duggan matters.

Her top two issues are pension reform (both Republican and Democrat primary voters are OBSESSED with this) and roads.

Pension reform may clear the house... senate is a toss up, republicans have to win a primary first and shafting private pension plans risks tea party type candidates. Extending the tax cut to private (401k/403b) plans would get almost every Republican vote in the legislature, but would split Democrats at the $1billion hole in the budget.

Roads... There are so many options that I couldn't cover them all. Whitmer was MASTERFUL in her winning strategy. If the legislature won't give her the $, she'll put it on the ballot. Snyder did this, it lost badly and he gave Michigan the 'birthday tax'. Maybe she punts, focuses on healthcare while putting a bi-partisan road funding plan she knows most republicans will reject. If voters reject, it doesn't cost her anything, and if they approve it doesn't hurt her with republicans since they helped craft it.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:11 am

Michigan is the new California expect to have to pay high registration fees soon so we can fix the damn roads just wait and see the only way the roads will be taken care of is if they take the cash from us.Witmer has a plan that everyone will have pay for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic