All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Radio Stations IDed in Movies

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
ZenithCKLW

Re: Radio Stations IDed in Movies

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:10 pm

"Hot 97" in Seinfeld. Kramer pretending to be MoviePhone sponsored by Hot 97.

"Froggy 101" in The Office.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm

matt1 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:02 pm
The Bugaloos had KOOK Radio in 1970 during NBC Saturday morning.
KOOK and KOOK-TV were in Billings, MT. I think the term KOOK having a negative connotation was the reason for dropping the call letters. It would be a good set of calls for Pacifica if available.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Who was the Newsperson at WJJD whose son worked in Grand Rapids for a long time?

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:06 am

WNYX News Radio (on the tv show NewsRadio) - on AM frequency 585.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 pm

WRNW Briarcliff Manor NY, WCCC Hartford, W4 Detroit, DC 101 Washington, and WNBC 66 New York in Howard Stern's movie, Private Parts (1997).

WRIF Detroit in The Upside of Anger.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Though not a movie most here may have seen before, in the Japanese animated feature, "Macross: Do You Remember Love", a billboard for San Francisco's KMEL was seen during one particular street scene. Supposedly this was because someone who worked on the film had been in San Francisco for a while and listened to them a lot.
Last edited by Some Guy from Toledo on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Here's another one: from the 1960's Batman TV series, KGC (AM and TV) and KGOM, which are all awkward as Gotham City is east of the Mississippi River.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 am

It wasn't in the movie version, but the novel of "The Help" contains a reference to WJDX in Jackson, MS (in the context of the station running a Patsy Cline marathon after her fatal plane crash).

Some early episodes of "You Can't Do That on Television," when it was a local show in Ottawa, included tie-ins with local radio stations like Top 40 CFGO-AM and AOR CHEZ-FM.

As far as fictional radio stations, there was "K-BLUFF" in the Nickelodeon TV series "Doug."

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 am

mtburb wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 pm
Here's another one: from the 1960's Batman TV series, KGC (AM and TV) and KGOM, which are all awkward as Gotham City is east of the Mississippi River.
I wonder if that was some kind of shoutout to KGO radio and TV in San Francisco, since Batman was an ABC show and the KGO stations were ABC affiliates.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am

Channel Ocho The Simpsons, (home of the Bumblebee man who we haven't seen in a while.)
Channel 84 King Of The Hill, (which is odd because UHF only went up to 83 and that ended a long time ago.)

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:06 pm

WLNO Channel 112 on Home Improvement, home of Tool Time. This is a bit strange since, during the 90's, Royal Oak (which I believe where the show was set) was using a dual A/B switch for their cable system, which was at the time owned by TCI, and a channel 112 may not have been possible with such a dual system.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm

It was never really definitive that Gotham City was east of the Mississippi River. The best basis for that statement is the Gotham City was a stand in for New York which is west of The Mississippi River.

What is really awkward is figuring out how a person changes clothes by sliding down a pole.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:05 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm

It was never really definitive that Gotham City was east of the Mississippi River. The best basis for that statement is the Gotham City was a stand in for New York which is east of The Mississippi River.

What is really awkward is figuring out how a person changes clothes by sliding down a pole.

tc

Post by tc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:53 am

KJCM (fictional station on "Night Caller" TV show).

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:56 pm

KRML "Play Misty for Me"

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:04 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:56 pm
KRML "Play Misty for Me"
This is a good example because it is also a real radio station.

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=KRML&c ... atd=&lond=

Wasn't Clint Eastwood also once the Mayor of Carmel?

http://tenwatts.blogspot.com/2010/10/cl ... -krml.html

"Play Misty For Me" was reportedly based on a an incident where a female fan tried to stab Jean Shepherd, the real life Ralphie from "A Christmas Story".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yqbnLs0FF4

At the beginning of this excerpt, there is an equation that sounds like something out of the NAB Engineering Handbook or Electricity and Magnetism Textbook. SQRT(3), I (Current), j (SQRT (-1), an imaginary number that figures into reactance and impedance calculations).

j was invented for Physics E & M and Electrical Engineering formulas so as not to be confused with I (Current), as i is the traditional Mathematical symbol for the imaginary number SQRT (-1). I knew they used j and i but didn't realize that it was specifically invented to avoid confusion.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-mathematic ... r-the-same

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

format this

Post by format this » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:30 am

sfpcc wrote:Here's another one: from the 1960's Batman TV series, KGC (AM and TV) and KGOM, which are all awkward as Gotham City is east of the Mississippi River.

It was never really definitive that Gotham City was east of the Mississippi River. The best basis for that statement is the Gotham City was a stand in for New York which is west of The Mississippi River.

Then explain legendary KDWB Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:48 am

It took awhile for anyone to mention the biggest low hanging fruit of radio in stations in movies?!?!

WNnnnnnnnnnnNBC!... From the autobiopic on Howard Stern.
But, Marcus got it.

Here's more real ones...

WJR Tiger Town
WSM Coal Miner's Daughter
WEEI In The Bedroom
WKQI Beverly Hills Cop 3
WKNR Major League
WJET, KMPC That Thing You Do
WINS The Paper, Goodfellas, Big
WTMJ Mr. 3,000
WJLB Out of Sight
KGO Zodiac
KCBS Milk
WABC Mad Men

ce1337

Post by ce1337 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am
Channel Ocho The Simpsons, (home of the Bumblebee man who we haven't seen in a while.)
Channel 84 King Of The Hill, (which is odd because UHF only went up to 83 and that ended a long time ago.)
Also on The Simpsons is the KBBL-AM/FM/TV triad. Channel 6 (which has Kent Brockman and Krusty the Clown) is KBBL-TV, while Bill and Marty are on the AM and FM versions of the station. Also, a more recent episode had a Spanish version called "Que BBL"

As for King of the Hill, even as a kid it bothered me that the channel was 84 as I knew that OTA TV only went up to 69 during the 90's/00's. I guess these are the things you notice when you grow up without cable.

Some other ones off the top of my head:
-Frasier - KACL 780 AM
-Hey Arnold - MJAZZ (a bit odd that they didn't use a K or W)
-Spongebob - KRUD (all of your personal "you won't get away with stealing my car!" hits)
-The Drew Carey Show had Cleveland's actual ABC affiliate, WEWS
Last edited by ce1337 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 pm

We're into fake stations and nobody has mentioned WKRP in Cincinnati?!?! Nor its rival WPIG.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic