All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Cartoons on Channel 9

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
mtburb

Cartoons on Channel 9

Post by mtburb » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Anyone remember when CKLW/CBET actually ran real cartoons back in the day? You probably remember Popeye, but he wasn't the only one.

Back between 1958-1962, CKLW brought Windsor and Detroit the Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw and Yogi Bear Shows, which were among Hanna-Barbera's first cartoon shorts made specifically for television. They all occupied the 6:30 slot on three consecutive days Tuesdays through Thursdays.

Here are newspaper ads for each courtesy of newspapers.com (subscription required to see larger versions):
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/97928033/
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/98338666/
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/98361380/

There's also a decent blog covering these more in depth, though I've heard that it'll be coming to an end soon.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

sfpcc

Re: Cartoons on Channel 9

Post by sfpcc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 pm

I remember they showed Tales Of The The Wizard Of Oz. It was made by Crawley Films / Videocraft which later became Rankin Bass. It first ran in the early 60's but I remember it being on channel 9 around 1976. The theme song was the most memorable part about it. Also, it looked a lot different than your average Hannah Barbara product. Alas, I didn't like it as much a Rocky & Bullwinkle or Underdog.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:11 am

mtburb wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 pm
Anyone remember when CKLW/CBET actually ran real cartoons back in the day? You probably remember Popeye, but he wasn't the only one.

Back between 1958-1962, CKLW brought Windsor and Detroit the Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw and Yogi Bear Shows, which were among Hanna-Barbera's first cartoon shorts made specifically for television. They all occupied the 6:30 slot on three consecutive days Tuesdays through Thursdays.
Watched 'em every day! :D I got a kick out of some of the regional commercials which would end with a local voice-over disclaimer: "Not available in Canada." My six year-old self would be thinking, "Why the hell not?". :lol

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:11 pm

I remember watching The Raccoons on Channel 9 in the 1980s and 1990s (hence the inspiration for my username)… I missed when they used to air animation like that which appealed to viewers of all ages... nowadays, theonly animated fare is mostly of the stuff you'd find on PBS or TVO...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Also, I vaguely remember seeing an animated version of Around The World In 80 Days on channel 9.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Channel 9 CKLW TV also was the home of the 1966 Marvel Superheroes cartoons for Detroit.I was 3 yrs old at the time and remember vividly watching Capt.America and the Hulk in B/W on Ch9.........here's the opening to Capt.America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVU4HURKEXs

Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:11 am
mtburb wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Watched 'em every day! :D I got a kick out of some of the regional commercials which would end with a local voice-over disclaimer: "Not available in Canada." My six year-old self would be thinking, "Why the hell not?". :lol
HA! :rollin

Reminded there were several Simpson commercials done for KFC's in Canada that also carried a similar statement captioned on the screen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90GTdS_PwY

I recall looking into listings in The Toledo Blade and found out they aired Astro Boy on CKLW, one of the first Japanese animated programs to air stateside. Not sure if other Japanese shows found their way to Channel 9 or not back then.
RingtailedFox wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:11 pm
I remember watching The Raccoons on Channel 9 in the 1980s and 1990s (hence the inspiration for my username)… I missed when they used to air animation like that which appealed to viewers of all ages... nowadays, theonly animated fare is mostly of the stuff you'd find on PBS or TVO...
The irony of Americans that could get CBC freely over the airwaves (or on basic cable) is getting to WATCH The Raccoons without paying extra as we had to via The Disney Channel when it first aired! The same also could be said for Fraggle Rock as well!
windsor wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:31 pm
Channel 9 CKLW TV also was the home of the 1966 Marvel Superheroes cartoons for Detroit.I was 3 yrs old at the time and remember vividly watching Capt.America and the Hulk in B/W on Ch9.........here's the opening to Capt.America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVU4HURKEXs
CKLW would've been home to all the Krantz Films productions given their "Canadian Content" involved (Max, the 2000 Year Old Mouse, Rocket Robin Hood, etc.)

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 am

How 'bout "Jerry Booth's Funhouse" on CKLW,Channel 9 ? I ALWAYS watched that cartoon,and Mr. Booth,along with former Keener 13 DJ Frank "Swingin' " Sweeney died last year .

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 pm

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 am
How 'bout "Jerry Booth's Funhouse" on CKLW,Channel 9?
Watched it EVERY afternoon after school! He showed my drawing of Clyde Casual the purple moose (actually a deer buck from the prop room, but this was black & white TV). "UH-HUH!!!"

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:48 am

My favorite on Channel 9 was The Friendly Giant.

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:47 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:48 am
My favorite on Channel 9 was The Friendly Giant.
"Look up, WAAAAY up...." :D
Talk about chill for hyperactive sugar-soaked kids. Loved that show!

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic