All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Old cable lineups

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by mtburb » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Continuing on the topic of old lineups for Ontario systems...to go along with the 1998 listings from various Metro Detroit cable systems that I posted in this thread a while ago, here's a November 1998 lineup from Windsor.

Shaw Cable Windsor headend, November 21, 1998 (source)
2-CICA (TVO)
3-CIII (Global, Toronto)
5-WDIV (NBC)
6-CHWI (NewNet)
7-WJBK (Fox)
8-WXYZ (ABC)
10-CBET (CBC)
11-community channel
12-CBEFT (Radio-Canada)
13-CKCO (CTV, Kitchener)
14-Much Music
15-WWJ (CBS)
16-YTV
17-CBC Newsworld
18-The Weather Network
19-Vision TV
20-TFO
21-CTV News 1
22-The Movie Network
23-The Movie Network 2/Treehouse TV
24-The Movie Network 3
25-The Movie Network 4
26-MoviePix
27-Women's Television Network
28-TNN
29-A&E
30-CNN
32-TSN
34-Showcase
35-The Discovery Channel
36-TLC
37-CMT
38-Bravo
39-Life Network
40-CNBC
43-History Television
44-Comedy Network
45-Teletoon
46-HGTV
47-TBS Superstation
48-Food Network
49-Speedvision
50-BET
51-Space
52-Family Channel
53-Golf Channel
54-CTV Sportsnet
55-Prime TV
56-Outdoor Life Network
57-Much More Music
58-home shopping
59-CHCH (Independent, Hamilton)
60-WKBD (UPN)
61-CITY (Independent, Toronto)
62-WDWB (WB)
63-CFMT (Independent, Toronto)
64-WGN (WB, Chicago feed, Chicago)
65-WSBK (UPN, Boston)
66-KTLA (WB, Los Angeles)
67-WTVS (PBS)
68-Headline Sports
70-house of commons
71-WTOL (CBS, Toledo)
72-WTVG (ABC, Toledo)
73-WNWO (NBC, Toledo)

It's interesting that a cable headend adjacent to Detroit carried Toledo commercial stations around this time yet the closest American location to Detroit that had them at the time was Huron Township in Downriver Wayne County. (I'm not counting MATV installations)
Last edited by mtburb on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.


For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:30 pm

mtburb wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 pm
Shaw Cable Windsor headend, November 21, 1998 (source)
2-CICA (TVO)
3-CIII (Global, Toronto)
5-WDIV (NBC)
6-CHWI (NewNet)
7-WJBK (Fox)
8-WXYZ (ABC)
10-CBET (CBC)
11-community channel
12-CBEFT (Radio-Canada)
13-CKCO (CTV, Kitchener)
Of course, the left channels 4 and 9 blank, due to signal egress issues due to WDIV and CBET, respectively, yet they placed TVO on 2 and WJBK on 7, where they suffered egress from WJBK (on 2) and WXYZ, respectively.

I've stayed at a motel in Windsor around this time, and found that TVO and JBK were unwatchable, due to egress.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:30 pm
mtburb wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 pm
Shaw Cable Windsor headend, November 21, 1998 (source)
2-CICA (TVO)
3-CIII (Global, Toronto)
5-WDIV (NBC)
6-CHWI (NewNet)
7-WJBK (Fox)
8-WXYZ (ABC)
10-CBET (CBC)
11-community channel
12-CBEFT (Radio-Canada)
13-CKCO (CTV, Kitchener)
Of course, the left channels 4 and 9 blank, due to signal egress issues due to WDIV and CBET, respectively, yet they placed TVO on 2 and WJBK on 7, where they suffered egress from WJBK (on 2) and WXYZ, respectively.
I suppose that's what was going on down here in Toledo as well with 11 and 13 (they solved that issue by sticking bulletin board and shopping channels there for a long time). Must've sucked living in a an area with more VHF stations like that.
I've stayed at a motel in Windsor around this time, and found that TVO and JBK were unwatchable, due to egress.
I remember being in a Holiday Inn in Windsor around '95 or so, though I don't recall what the channels were liked as we didn't have too much time for it.



User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by mtburb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 am
I remember being in a Holiday Inn in Windsor around '95 or so, though I don't recall what the channels were liked as we didn't have too much time for it.
I could help you fill in on that.

Shaw Cable Windsor headend, August 26, 1995 (source)
2-CICA (TVO)
3-CIII (Global, Toronto)
5-WDIV (NBC)
6-CHWI (independent)
7-WJBK (Fox)
8-WXYZ (ABC)
10-CBET (CBC)
11-community channel
12-CBEFT (Radio-Canada)
13-CKCO (CTV, Kitchener)
14-Much Music
15-WGPR -> WWJ (CBS)
16-YTV
17-CBC Newsworld
18-The Weather Network
19-Vision TV
20-La chaine francaise
21-Family Channel
22-The Movie Network
26-MoviePix
27-Women's Television Network
28-TNN
29-A&E
30-CNN
32-TSN
34-Showcase
35-The Discovery Channel
36-TLC
38-Bravo
39-Life Network
43-CITY (Independent, Toronto)
44-WXON (WB)
45-CFMT (Independent, Toronto)
46-TBS Superstation
47-WGN (WB, Chicago feed, Chicago)
48-WSBK (UPN, Boston)
49-KTLA (WB, Los Angeles)
50-Broadcast News
51-WTVS (PBS)
53-WKBD (UPN)
54-CHCH (Independent, Hamilton)
55-WTOL (CBS, Toledo)
56-WTVG (NBC -> ABC, Toledo)
57-WNWO (ABC -> NBC, Toledo)
58-home shopping


For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

ChrisKun2K5
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:53 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm

WTVS also played both nations' anthems at signoff, or at least they did in 1992. Which made sense given how the station was not only viewable over the air in southwestern Ontario but carried on cable across Canada. The voice during the signoff is that of the late Paul Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ybkWAsAbQ



User avatar
RingtailedFox
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am

WTVS went 24/7 sometime around 1993 if I remember... but they did play both our nations' anthems when they shut off their aging and failing analog transmitter on UHF 56 for the final time on April 16, 2009 (instead of June 12). They get a *H**** chunk of their donations from across Canada, thanks to covering Windsor with its transmitter, and on various cable and satellite services (via CANCOM) throughout Canada and elsewhere.

I also remember VHF 4 always being a TV Listings type of channel. still is, to this day. 9 was always the real estate channel, too. CBC was/still is on 10, and WDIV is on 5.


~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by mtburb » Fri May 11, 2018 9:11 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am
I also remember VHF 4 always being a TV Listings type of channel. still is, to this day.
Was this ever branded Prevue Guide/Channel in the past (until 2002 in Canada, of course)?


For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
RingtailedFox
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri May 25, 2018 3:01 pm

mtburb wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:11 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am
I also remember VHF 4 always being a TV Listings type of channel. still is, to this day.
Was this ever branded Prevue Guide/Channel in the past (until 2002 in Canada, of course)?
I'm not 100% on this, but i'm pretty sure it was.


~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

organman95
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by organman95 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am
I also remember VHF 4 always being a TV Listings type of channel. still is, to this day. 9 was always the real estate channel, too. CBC was/still is on 10, and WDIV is on 5.
I think most put the guide on channel 4. Not sure why. The funny thing in Northern MI, is anywhere that WTOM was carried, it was moved to Ch. 7 with Guide on ch. 4. But if the lineup had WPBN (OTA 7), WPBN was put on Channel 4, with the guide on Channel 7. Not sure why the headends did this.



User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by rugratsonline » Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am
I also remember VHF 4 always being a TV Listings type of channel. still is, to this day. 9 was always the real estate channel, too. CBC was/still is on 10, and WDIV is on 5.
I think most put the guide on channel 4. Not sure why. The funny thing in Northern MI, is anywhere that WTOM was carried, it was moved to Ch. 7 with Guide on ch. 4. But if the lineup had WPBN (OTA 7), WPBN was put on Channel 4, with the guide on Channel 7. Not sure why the headends did this.
As I mentioned earlier, signal egress issues. On cable, channels 2 to 13 uses the same frequencies as VHF. As a result, if channel 7 was carried on cable 7 in areas close to its transmitter, ghosting and other interference issues would occur. The farther away from the transmitter, the least likely that signal egress would occur.



ftballfan
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Manistee, MI

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by ftballfan » Sun May 27, 2018 1:13 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am
I also remember VHF 4 always being a TV Listings type of channel. still is, to this day. 9 was always the real estate channel, too. CBC was/still is on 10, and WDIV is on 5.
I think most put the guide on channel 4. Not sure why. The funny thing in Northern MI, is anywhere that WTOM was carried, it was moved to Ch. 7 with Guide on ch. 4. But if the lineup had WPBN (OTA 7), WPBN was put on Channel 4, with the guide on Channel 7. Not sure why the headends did this.
In Grand Rapids, WWMT, WOOD, and WZZM were on their OTA channels as far back as the TCI days



User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by mtburb » Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 am
I also remember VHF 4 always being a TV Listings type of channel. still is, to this day. 9 was always the real estate channel, too. CBC was/still is on 10, and WDIV is on 5.
I think most put the guide on channel 4. Not sure why. The funny thing in Northern MI, is anywhere that WTOM was carried, it was moved to Ch. 7 with Guide on ch. 4. But if the lineup had WPBN (OTA 7), WPBN was put on Channel 4, with the guide on Channel 7. Not sure why the headends did this.
WJBK, WDIV, WXYZ and CBET have always been on their OTA channels in Wyandotte ever since their cable operation began in 1983.


For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

organman95
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by organman95 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 am

Found this, thought I'd screenshot it and share, Cablevision in Ludington/Pentwater/Manistee, 1986

Back when Playboy was on expanded basic and fairly easily decoded LOL
Cable Vision 1986.jpg
Cable Vision 1986.jpg (162.45 KiB) Viewed 403 times



User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by mtburb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 pm

This is, I believe, one of the newest cable lineups in this thread. This is from the second-most-recent Toledo Blade to have been archived by Google. This is probably incomplete though.

Buckeye Cablesystem Toledo headend, December 30, 2007 (source)
2-CNN
3-ESPN
4-USA
5-WT05 (CW)
6-WLMB (Ion (possible error?))
8-BCSN
9-WGTE (PBS)
10-WNWO (NBC)
11-WTOL (CBS)
12-WUPW (Fox)
13-WTVG (ABC)
14-Lifetime
17-ESPN2
19-E!
21-Nickelodeon
22-Cartoon Network
23-Discovery
24-A&E
25-The History Channel
26-Disney Channel
27-TV Land
28-TBS (very early in it's life as a basic cable channel)
29-FSN Detroit
33-AMC
34-Animal Planet
37-Spike
38-VH1
39-MTV
40-BET
42-CNBC
43-Fox News Channel
45-Comedy Central
46-FX
47-HGTV
49-Hallmark Channel
50-WKBD (CW, Detroit)
51-WXYZ (ABC, Detroit)
52-WJBK (Fox, Detroit)
53-Telemundo
54-WDIV (NBC, Detroit)
57-WBGU (PBS, Bowling Green)
58-WMNT (My Network TV)
59-CBET (CBC, Windsor)
60-Superstation WGN
61-Sci-Fi Channel
64-TLC
68-Bravo
77-Showtime
80-The Movie Channel
82-HBO
85-Cinemax
103-Game Show Network
106-We
107-Turner Classic Movies
108-Golf Channel


For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:53 pm

mtburb wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 pm
This is, I believe, one of the newest cable lineups in this thread. This is from the second-most-recent Toledo Blade to have been archived by Google. This is probably incomplete though.

Buckeye Cablesystem Toledo headend, December 30, 2007 (source)
2-CNN
3-ESPN
4-USA
5-WT05 (CW)
6-WLMB (Ion (possible error?))
8-BCSN
9-WGTE (PBS)
10-WNWO (NBC)
11-WTOL (CBS)
12-WUPW (Fox)
13-WTVG (ABC)
14-Lifetime
17-ESPN2
19-E!
21-Nickelodeon
22-Cartoon Network
23-Discovery
24-A&E
25-The History Channel
26-Disney Channel
27-TV Land
28-TBS (very early in it's life as a basic cable channel)
29-FSN Detroit
33-AMC
34-Animal Planet
37-Spike
38-VH1
39-MTV
40-BET
42-CNBC
43-Fox News Channel
45-Comedy Central
46-FX
47-HGTV
49-Hallmark Channel
50-WKBD (CW, Detroit)
51-WXYZ (ABC, Detroit)
52-WJBK (Fox, Detroit)
53-Telemundo
54-WDIV (NBC, Detroit)
57-WBGU (PBS, Bowling Green)
58-WMNT (My Network TV)
59-CBET (CBC, Windsor)
60-Superstation WGN
61-Sci-Fi Channel
64-TLC
68-Bravo
77-Showtime
80-The Movie Channel
82-HBO
85-Cinemax
103-Game Show Network
106-We
107-Turner Classic Movies
108-Golf Channel
Can't remember if we already had channels up past 108 or not by then, but this is pretty much what I remember at the time.



Inundated
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by Inundated » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm

I think WLMB did carry some Pax programming, though I am pretty sure that ended before Ion.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:38 am

Inundated wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm
I think WLMB did carry some Pax programming, though I am pretty sure that ended before Ion.
Yes it did, it only lasted a few years when they first started the channel (I suppose they needed something to play for part of the day and PAX had already started when they did so that was the best we had, we just didn't get PAX entirely).



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic