Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Second Owned Station

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
sfpcc

Second Owned Station

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 am

It is common kmowledge the WGPR Channel 62 was the first black owned station in the US. Does anyone out there know what was the second ? I'm not counting BET vwhich is a Cable Network not a local station.

k8jd

Re: Second Owned Station

Post by k8jd » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm

I believe WJLB and WCHB were black owned stations

SolarMax

Re: Second Owned Station

Post by SolarMax » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:00 pm

WGPR-TV was the first U.S. black-owned television station. Dr. Banks and the International Free and Accepted Modern Masons already owned WGPR-FM, purchased from Ross Mulholland in 1964.
WCHB 1440 Inkster was Michigan's first black-owned and operated radio station (1956)
WERD in Atlanta was the first black-owned radio station in the U.S. (1949)
WJLB was not minority owned, though I believe Evergreen, which was a holding partner for a while, may have been.
Don't know who was the second TV, though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic