Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WXON Thriller Double Feature (Whole Lotta Love)

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
sfpcc

WXON Thriller Double Feature (Whole Lotta Love)

Post by sfpcc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:16 am

During the 70's and 80's Channel 20, WXON aired the Thriller Double Feature on Saturday Afternoons. Its theme was the middle section of Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love. My question is did WXON have any trouble from Led Zeppelin's publishing company, (Flames Of Albion), BMI, ACSAP, Etc? I know that their music was so difficult expensive to license that you never really heard any of it until circa 1998. Maybe it just never came up or the segment was just short enough to avoid trouble.

sfpcc

Re: WXON Thriller Double Feature (Whole Lotta Love)

Post by sfpcc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am

[quote=sfpcc post_id=562057 time=1506957367 user_id=4168]
During the 70's and 80's Channel 20, WXON aired the Thriller Double Feature on Saturday Afternoons. Its theme was the middle section of Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love. My question is did WXON have any trouble from Led Zeppelin's publishing company, (Flames Of Albion), BMI, ACSAP, Etc? I know that their music was so difficult expensive to license that you never really heard any of it until circa 1998. Maybe it just never came up or the segment was just short enough to avoid payment.
[/quote]

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 am

Sorry for the repeat.

BeerMan

Post by BeerMan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:53 am

I'm guessing it was the times. Licensing wasn't a big deal back then and it was harder for the music industry (which was not the H*** juggernaut it is today) to track down. WXON was hardly a major broadcast force and therefore received little notice from outside the local area. Someone would have had to report them for anyone to know.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:26 pm

I've read Hammer Of Of The Gods and have seen The Song Remains The Same, so I just have this image of Peter Grant and his cronies, (or Henchman) making a visit to Walled Lake and doing some real damage. That guy was pretty ruthless.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic