Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

CBC radio 2 Disc Drive

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
1027BrianFM

CBC radio 2 Disc Drive

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 am

CBC radio 2 for the most part plays this pop sounding rock now most of the time. I miss the classical music and I used to enjoy the show disc drive. Sort of a mix of classical, jazz, and world music. I don't remember the hosts name but it was quite enjoyable.

SolarMax

Re: CBC radio 2 Disc Drive

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 pm

DiscDrive was hosted by the wonderful Jurgen Gothe. The show's last broadcast was in late August of 2008. Gothe passed away in 2015. Radio 2 still airs substantial blocks of Classical.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:02 pm

And when you heard Rameau Fanfarinette you then knew the Vivaldi Works were open.
Many a relaxing drive home from work listening to Jurgen.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:21 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 am
CBC radio 2 for the most part plays this pop sounding rock now most of the time. I miss the classical music and I used to enjoy the show disc drive. Sort of a mix of classical, jazz, and world music. I don't remember the hosts name but it was quite enjoyable.

This is CBC Radio II. Musical jingle (All garage band all the time ♫ ♫)

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Shift with Tom Allen is enjoyable.
He starts the show with some light classical and migrates to more recent kinds of music. He uses his knowledge of music to explain some facts and hidden twist that can change what we're listening to.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 am

It is Garage rock all the time now, I miss the classical music all the time. I believe they air the garage rock most of the time.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Do you people really know what "garage band"/"garage rock" is? It sure ain't what CBC R2 plays, pretty much ever.
So yes, there is a lot of Canadian "country" (whatever that is), and CanCon pop, but each are contained in specific shows that feature them. Many of the non-classical shows, like Tom Allen's, are quite eclectic, so, just maybe, a "garage" track might be played to serve a purpose. If you take the time to actually look at the program schedules, there are still significant blocks of classical programming, plus the weekly opera, and jazz, and blues. Not "garage" music by any stretch or definition.
If you're going to paint with a broad brush, use the right color (colour) and the right brush.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:30 pm

When CBC flipped Radio II, they explained that their new mandate was to give exposure to Canadian performers who can't get air play on commercial radio, Sounds like garage band to me.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Most of the times when I tune in CBC Radio 2, I hear a lot of singer/songwriter AAA type stuff.

Not much at all in the way of guitar oriented rock, with the exception of one show that airs on either Saturday or Sunday Night (The Strombo Show).
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic