Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Old cable lineups

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
ftballfan

Re: RE: Re: Old cable lineups

Post by ftballfan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Inundated wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:38 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:If i remember correctly... before the US Digital Transition in 2009, CBET was carried on Time Warner Cable as far south as Findlay and Bowling Green (and at one point was available in Grand Rapids as well), and WKBD was also carried there and as far south as Lima, Ohio... oh, how times change. :P
CBET is still carried today on the Time Warner-now-Spectrum system in Port Clinton, and was on some of the other TWC systems in that area until just a few years ago. I have no idea why CBET survived in Port Clinton.

A quick lineup check shows CBET on channel 20 in Port Clinton.

Of course, it is still on Buckeye in both Toledo and Sandusky.
CBET likely puts a good OTA signal into Port Clinton (but not into BG or Findlay). Speaking of CBET, they were the YUGE winner of the WNWO vs. Buckeye dispute in 2014.

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Old cable lineups

Post by Inundated » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Inundated wrote:
RingtailedFox wrote:If i remember correctly... before the US Digital Transition in 2009, CBET was carried on Time Warner Cable as far south as Findlay and Bowling Green (and at one point was available in Grand Rapids as well), and WKBD was also carried there and as far south as Lima, Ohio... oh, how times change. :P
CBET is still carried today on the Time Warner-now-Spectrum system in Port Clinton, and was on some of the other TWC systems in that area until just a few years ago. I have no idea why CBET survived in Port Clinton.

CBET likely puts a good OTA signal into Port Clinton (but not into BG or Findlay). Speaking of CBET, they were the YUGE winner of the WNWO vs. Buckeye dispute in 2014.
Yes, I remember that! I think that was what brought CBET in HD to Buckeye...

Some Guy from Toledo

Re: RE: Re: Old cable lineups

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 am

Inundated wrote:

I'm sure that'll never change for a while.
Inundated wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 pm
Yes, I remember that! I think that was what brought CBET in HD to Buckeye...
Even if a few of us still complained that 'our team' wasn't getting much exposure anyway! :rollin

mtburb

Re: Old cable lineups

Post by mtburb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Anyone who may have lived in or visited central Ohio in the late 70's may remember QUBE, which spawned several elements now common in modern cable systems and also helped lay the footprint for what is now Charter Spectrum.

QUBE, Columbus headend, December 1977 (the entire P tier was the predecessor of The Movie Channel)
T-1-program guide
T-2-WOSU (PBS)
T-3-reserved for signals of out-of-market affiliates when Columbus network affiliates preempted network programming
T-4-WCMH (NBC)
T-5-WTTV (Independent, Indianapolis)
T-6-WTVN (ABC)
T-7-WXIX (Independent, Cincinnati)
T-8-WOUB (PBS, Athens)
T-9-WUAB (Independent, Lorain)
T-10-WBNS (CBS)
C-1-Columbus Alive
C-2-consumer information
C-3-Pinwheel (predecessor of Nickelodeon)
C-4-news updates
C-5-sports news & scores
C-6-stocks & business news
C-7-religious programming
C-8-time & weather
C-9-selected audience programming
C-10-Live and Learn
P-1-free program previews
P-2-First-Run Movies
P-3-Movie Greats
P-4-Performance
P-5-Better Living
P-6-sports
P-7-special events
P-8-QUBE Games
P-9-College at Home
P-10-adult films
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:17 am

mtburb wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 pm
Anyone who may have lived in or visited central Ohio in the late 70's may remember QUBE, which spawned several elements now common in modern cable systems and also helped lay the footprint for what is now Charter Spectrum.

QUBE, Columbus headend, December 1977 (the entire P tier was the predecessor of The Movie Channel)
T-1-program guide
T-2-WOSU (PBS)
T-3-reserved for signals of out-of-market affiliates when Columbus network affiliates preempted network programming
T-4-WCMH (NBC)
T-6-WTVN (ABC)
T-8-WOUB (PBS, Athens)
T-10-WBNS (CBS)
C-1-Columbus Alive
C-2-consumer information
C-4-news updates
C-5-sports news & scores
C-8-time & weather
C-10-Live and Learn
P-2-First-Run Movies
P-3-Movie Greats
P-4-Performance
P-5-Better Living
P-6-sports
P-7-special events
P-8-QUBE Games
P-9-College at Home
P-10-adult films
Someone who had worked for QUBE has been kind enough to share much of what came out of there!
https://www.youtube.com/user/88bigbear

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 pm

From Wikipedia, a QUBE remote for the Cincinnati area from the early-1980s. Note that it carried every station from Cincy and Dayton, plus QUBE's interactive services plus the usual cable standards (including QUBE graduates MTV, Nick and The Movie Channel):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QUBE#/med ... Remote.jpg

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 pm

[quote=mtburb post_id=553116 time=1493084035 user_id=13667]

[b]QUBE, Columbus headend, December 1977[/b] (the entire P tier was the predecessor of The Movie Channel)
T-1-program guide
T-2-WOSU (PBS)
T-4-WCMH (NBC)
T-6-WTVN (ABC)
T-8-WOUB (PBS, Athens)
T-10-WBNS (CBS)
C-1-Columbus Alive
C-2-consumer information
C-4-news updates
C-5-sports news & scores
C-8-time & weather
C-10-Live and Learn
P-2-First-Run Movies
P-3-Movie Greats
P-4-Performance
P-5-Better Living
P-6-sports
P-7-special events
P-8-QUBE Games
P-9-College at Home
P-10-adult films
[/quote]

The Qube channel list kind of sounds like The Code for DNA,(UCAG, Science was always kind of a hard subject for me so I wish I could explain it better.)

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 pm
The Qube channel list kind of sounds like The Code for DNA,(UCAG, Science was always kind of a hard subject for me so I wish I could explain it better.)
And I thought Buckeye Cable's "A/B" line-up was confusing to explain!

I only wish the Warner's had licensed the QUBE tech. to other outlets or Buckeye could've tried this too!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 am

My Mistake. I think this is the DNA Letter Code:

A - Adenine
G - Guanine
C- Cytosine
T - Thymine

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:18 am
BTW. I remember someone once talked about seeing a weather channel that used a crude means of a camera panning across dials and other things to show its reports on. Someone uploaded a segment of CBS' "60 Minutes" from 1970 that talked about early CATV setups during that time. About 3 and a half minutes in, they showed this baby!

I'm guessing the camera was stationary while a mirror slowing moved back and forth across this platform while the camera displayed what was reflected on the mirror (I suppose they'd have to reverse the image the camera took in before it went out to the viewers.

To see more of this, check out this clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd7-NXesr8s
Here it is in action, from around Christmas 1975 in Nashville (with WSM-FM in the background):

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/index.php?c=4491

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:26 pm
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:18 am
BTW. I remember someone once talked about seeing a weather channel that used a crude means of a camera panning across dials and other things to show its reports on. Someone uploaded a segment of CBS' "60 Minutes" from 1970 that talked about early CATV setups during that time. About 3 and a half minutes in, they showed this baby!

I'm guessing the camera was stationary while a mirror slowing moved back and forth across this platform while the camera displayed what was reflected on the mirror (I suppose they'd have to reverse the image the camera took in before it went out to the viewers.

To see more of this, check out this clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd7-NXesr8s
Here it is in action, from around Christmas 1975 in Nashville (with WSM-FM in the background):

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/index.php?c=4491
Thanks for showing this, that is pretty fascinating how that was done. I do wonder if Buckeye's was the same outfit, though the way this ad touts color sides, it sounds like they had something a little fancier.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Also courtesy of American Radio History, this was the earliest lineup for what is now Comcast's Taylor headend that I could find.
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2 ... evision%22

Curiously they appear to have dropped KTVU and WGN while adding WOR, all between 1980 and 1983.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon May 01, 2017 11:38 am

Looked up 1983 in Manistee and they had the following cable channels: USA, MTV, CNN, Nickelodeon, ESPN, CBN, WTBS, WGN, WOR along with HBO, Cinemax, and The Movie Channel (which was pretty impressive for that era).

Here is the Toledo page: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2 ... 2toledo%22

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon May 01, 2017 5:33 pm

In another page hosted on ARH, in 1994, right before Comcast bought them out, Maclean-Hunter's Taylor headend had 56 channels, including HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Disney Channel and Playboy.

This is the cable box that they had at the time, since they happened to list that too:

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:38 am
Looked up 1983 in Manistee and they had the following cable channels: USA, MTV, CNN, Nickelodeon, ESPN, CBN, WTBS, WGN, WOR along with HBO, Cinemax, and The Movie Channel (which was pretty impressive for that era).
Well they were lucky, Toledo didn't get a few of these until later (Cinemax would pop up around the turn of the century as the last I suppose).
Nice they give off the channel numbers too! I guess 8-B was the so-called "University of Toledo Channel" they had set up. It wasn't really used much at all and the best they could get out of it was sticking in The Learning Channel for a number of years.
mtburb wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 5:33 pm
This is the cable box that they had at the time, since they happened to list that too:
Damn, nothing like the simpler boxes Buckeye used, this looks like something you'd connect to one of those metal shelving units.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:09 am

Here's another recently-unearthed early-90's Detroit-area vintage cable lineup for you to drool over. Taken from the Downriver Things That Are Not There Anymore! Facebook group.

United Cable Woodhaven headend, 1991-92 (last lineup right before this headend was acquired by TCI, but at this point this system was already owned by United Artists)
2-WJBK (CBS)
3-Local Origination
4-WDIV (NBC)
5-Prevue Guide
6-Sneak Prevue
7-WXYZ (ABC)
8-QVC
9-CBET (CBC)
---basic lineup ends here---
10-HSN
11-ESPN
12-CNN
13-TNT
---premium lineup begins here---
14-Encore
15-Action Pay-Per-View
16-Pay-Per-View I
17-Pay-Per-View II
18-HBO
19-Showtime
20-PASS
21-Disney Channel
22-Cinemax
---premium lineup ends here---
23-USA Network
24-American Movie Classics
25-The Discovery Channel
26-Lifetime
27-Comedy Central
28-The Nashville Network
29-VH1
30-MTV
31-A&E
32-Nickelodeon
33-Mind Extension University (a network I've never heard of before, has anyone heard of this network before?)
34-TLC
35-CNBC/FNN (shared)
36-The Weather Channel
37-CNN Headline News
38-E!
39-The Family Channel
---basic lineup continues here---
40-WNWO (ABC, Toledo)
41-C-Span I
42-C-Span II
43-TBS
44-Public Access
45-WXON (Independent)
46-WGN (national feed, Chicago)
47-Woodhaven/Gibraltar/Trenton/Riverview/Lincoln Park Government
48-Woodhaven-Brownstown/Gibraltar/Trenton/Riverview/Lincoln Park Schools
49-WGPR (Independent)
50-WKBD (Fox)
51-WTVS (PBS)
52-CICA (TVO)
53-WGTE (PBS, Toledo)
---basic lineup ends here---
54-KEC63 audio (NOAA Weather Radio)
55-Prevue Guide
56-Sneak Prevue
57-CTND/ACTS (shared; ACTS is another network I never knew existed, has anyone heard of the ACTS network before?)
---premium lineup continues here---
58-The Movie Channel
61-Spice Pay-Per-View/Travel Channel (shared)
---premium lineup ends here---
62-TBN

Gibraltar had this same lineup; Lincoln Park, Trenton and Riverview had almost the same lineup but without a couple of channels, WNWO among them.

Back then, this headend could be reached at 382-1500 or 675-8300 and pay-per-view could be ordered at 675-8301...all of this, of course at this time, in area code 313.
Last edited by mtburb on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm

That is one weird lineup. Why wasn't "BASIC" all one set, then "PREMIUM" after?

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:31 pm

organman95 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm
That is one weird lineup. Why wasn't "BASIC" all one set, then "PREMIUM" after?
I don't have the slightest clue, perhaps that's just how the system's owner, United Artists Cable, set it up.

Thankfully by the time TCI took over, they did some reshuffling to make it feel less weird (including finally moving WKBD to the perennial channel 5 slot) but still retaining that weird package setup.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic