Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 4-29-2017 at 10:00a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Mary Tyler Moore On Detroit TV

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
sfpcc

Mary Tyler Moore On Detroit TV

Post by sfpcc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:40 am

Mary Tyler Moore died yesterday. That leads to this Question; Did channel 50 ever rerun The Mary Tyler Moore Show? I remember seeing it on channel 9, (along with Dick Van Dyke) but not on 50.

(I know WKBD showed Bob Newhart. I remember watching it at a Christmas party with a friend of the family close to my age. She mentioned that Bob Newhart kind of looked like my dad.)
Last edited by sfpcc on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

rugratsonline

Re: Mary Tyler Moore On Detroit TV

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Not related to Detroit, but I recalled seeing MTM repeats on WJRT channel 12 when they went into syndication in 1977 -- kind of fitting, as WJM-TV also "broadcasted" on channel 12.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:05 am

MeTV has been running the MTM-produced shows on Sunday nights.
I usually watch the Bob Newhart Show which is followed by the Mary Tyler Moore show around midnight.
Other MTM shows on MeTV have included Taxi and maybe Hill St. Blues.
Still waiting for them to run WKRP in Cincinnati!

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:14 am

WOHO wrote:Other MTM shows on MeTV have included Taxi and maybe Hill St. Blues.
Taxi wasn't produced by MTM and Hill Street Blues is currently on sister network H&I, though I dunno if it aired on Me TV at one point.

Speaking of MTM and Detroit, there was this one episode centered around an awards ceremony and mentioned a television station with the calls of either WJR or WWJ.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:02 am

While it's possible they use WJR or WWJ as the name of a fictional detroit-area station, they might be referring to the equally-fictional station mary tyler moore worked at in her eponymous series: WJM-TV Channel 12.

It's very sad that she's gone, because the world's lost a very talented actress an a true giant in the comedy world. I like to think that the "great triumvirate of comediennes" was composed of Mary Tyler Moore, Vicki Lawrence (Mama's Family), and Carol Burnett. I always enjoyed Moore's material and even the other shows she produced, too (like Saint Elsewhere, the 80s medical drama series, which aired on NBC if i remember correctly)... I'm sure wikipedia has a list of which shows Moore and her production company made.

I do think WKBD aired The Mary Tyler Moore Show back in the early 1990s in the evening or late nite, though i don't have any TV Guides from that era to confirm it (though i'm sure one could find proof on the all-knowing google).
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:41 am

rugratsonline wrote:Not related to Detroit, but I recalled seeing MTM repeats on WJRT channel 12 when they went into syndication in 1977 -- kind of fitting, as WJM-TV also "broadcasted" on channel 12.
I have always suspected and have heard rumors that WJM-TV was a conflation of WJIM-TV and possibly WJRT-TV, which would have been WJR-TV if the FCC had allowed it then. That would probably have had to have been someone from the area on the show creators' staff. Flint native Barton Dean WAS associated with MTM, writing, directing and producing early episodes of "Newhart" and creating other shows like "Down Home" based in the fictional town of "Hadley Cove" and "Carlton Your Doorman". I always suspected that the Sue Ann Nivens character was at least partly based on Martha Dixon from WJIM-TV. Of course the legal disclaimer would argue that this was purely coincidental.
"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:12 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:I always enjoyed Moore's material and even the other shows she produced, too (like Saint Elsewhere, the 80s medical drama series, which aired on NBC if i remember correctly)... I'm sure wikipedia has a list of which shows Moore and her production company made.
Here you are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTM_Enterprises
mtburb wrote:
Taxi wasn't produced by MTM...
Taxi was a Paramount production, though many of the principals that worked on MTM's series helped create and produce Taxi.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:25 pm

When MTM left the air in 1977, WJRT (ABC 12) in Flint, MI showed the reruns Monday thru Friday at 7:00 in the evening starting in September of 1977 till probably around 1979.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:26 am

I remember the Mary Tyler Moore Show reruns airing on CBET circa 1979.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:I remember the Mary Tyler Moore Show reruns airing on CBET circa 1979.
Image Image Image Image

bjmcdevitt

Post by bjmcdevitt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:12 pm

mtburb wrote:
Taxi wasn't produced by MTM and Hill Street Blues is currently on sister network H&I, though I dunno if it aired on Me TV at one point.

Speaking of MTM and Detroit, there was this one episode centered around an awards ceremony and mentioned a television station with the calls of either WJR or WWJ.
The Lou Grant character had a stint in Detroit.
Saying a synonym for large = bad. Starting threads to attack other users = A-okay!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 am

Does anyone out the know if Ted Baxter is based on anyone?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:20 am

sfpcc wrote:Does anyone out the know if Ted Baxter is based on anyone?
My understanding is that Ted was a compilation of various personalities.

As with any comedic character, the idea is to take subtle traits and blow them out of proportion.

The best part about the Ted Baxter character was the paradox of how someone with such a big ego could be so insecure. In reality, most people with big egos do lack true self-esteem. At the same time, Ted Knight managed to portray Baxter's humanity in a way that made him likable. He pulled it off very well.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
sfpcc wrote:Does anyone out the know if Ted Baxter is based on anyone?
My understanding is that Ted was a compilation of various personalities.
It's better than to be sued by that one person you've imitated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic