Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Seven tower array

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Mega Hertz

Seven tower array

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:26 pm

I saw seven towers west of 23 between Michigan Ave and Willis road in Pittsfield Twp (roughly Ann Arbor) while driving for work today. Does anyone know what station that is? I'm not very good at this kind of research.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Robert Faygo

Re: Seven tower array

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:38 pm

WAAM
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:05 pm

While it looks like a jumble of towers, it's actually two four tower in line arrays, one for Day, one for Night, with one tower in common to the two. The Day is aligned along a 351 degree azimuth, the Night along a 3 degree azimuth, so the maximum directions are 12 degrees apart. This allows WAAM to put a large lobe to the East and West Days, as well as the major lobe to the North. At Night, it can only go North without many restrictions.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:19 am

Awesome. Thank you guys!
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:36 pm

The first time I saw the array in 1975, I thought the same thing, a jumble of towers.

A brilliant student two years ahead of me at my high school, Chris Olson, was the CE when they built it. I went out there to see if he still worked there. I scared the Electrifying Mojo when I came from behind the transmitter. I asked if Chris still worked there, he said he had left WAAM, showed me to the door, and slammed and locked it behind me. Not as cordial as Wolfman Jack!
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:36 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:36 pm
The first time I saw the array in 1975, I thought the same thing, a jumble of towers.

A brilliant student two years ahead of me at my high school, Chris Olson, was the CE when they built it. I went out there to see if he still worked there. I scared the Electrifying Mojo when I came from behind the transmitter. I asked if Chris still worked there, he said he had left WAAM, showed me to the door, and slammed and locked it behind me. Not as cordial as Wolfman Jack!
I thought it was WTKA. It was pounding in. Where is their tower? Off Eisenhower?
-TurkeyTop

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:15 pm

In York Twp about 5 miles SE of WAAM's array. It's on the east side of US-23 off Stony Creek Rd. south of Willis Rd.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:50 am

The WPAG...WTKA 1050 3 tower array used to be near Eisenhower Parkway, over near the Shopping Center complex. Maybe that's what you are thinking of.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/ ... r_id=66094

-Author Unknown

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:31 pm

WTKA is far enough from any major road , it's difficult to spot.
I see 4 towers at WTKA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic