Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Which Metro Detroit cities are declining and which are improving?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

Which Metro Detroit cities are declining and which are improving?

Post by Splouge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:12 pm

This was inspired by the Marysville city council thread.

Here's my opinion

DECLINING
Lincoln Park
Romulus
Taylor
Livonia
Westland

IMPROVING
Melvindale
Hamtramck
Southfield
Garden City

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

SixPlusOne

Re: Which Metro Detroit cities are declining and which are improving?

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:34 pm

What does this have to do with Michigan Radio and TV?

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:46 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:34 pm
What does this have to do with Michigan Radio and TV?
Nothing, but neither does the thread about the Marysville city council candidate.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:31 pm

What are you basing these judgements on? I'm going to add Hazel Park to the improving list and Roseville to the declining list. I actually think Taylor is improving.

It seems like a good time to look at the Judgemental Map of Metro Detroit and see how the area has evolved in 5 years.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:19 pm

Hazel Park was a cheaper, working class town that now has a growing arts and culinary scene spilling over from Ferndale that has repurposed old buildings and brought higher education and income levels into the city.

Ferndale itself continues to grow and change into a more modern and more expensive city.

Mount Clemens is slowly getting there but the neighborhoods bordering Clinton Twp need work.

Eastpointe is declining. Stretches of 9 mile have gotten pretty shabby and I believe crime rates have risen while most cities were seeing decreases.

Southfield and Oak Park have seen crime rates go lower than the national average, but the neighborhoods have gotten old and run down. The housing is in dire need of updating. Also, the commercial areas have aged poorly and Southfield has struggled with bad roads.

Pontiac is both. They keep developing new areas with nice houses and improving certain areas, but the bad areas just get more abandoned and left behind.

I think Auburn Hills will decline soon. Too much industrial land and no more room for new developments. Very limited emphasis on residential. The Palace is done, Chrysler was bought out, and now theres an overabundance of hotels. I see that city going downhill in the near future due to overdependence on unstable industries and non-residential development.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:31 pm
What are you basing these judgements on? I'm going to add Hazel Park to the improving list and Roseville to the declining list. I actually think Taylor is improving.

It seems like a good time to look at the Judgemental Map of Metro Detroit and see how the area has evolved in 5 years.
From what the cities and their neighborhoods look like, and for Melvindale and Lincoln Park, personal experience, I live in Melvindale and used to live in LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Hamtramck is improving? REALLY?!?! You mean it actually used to look WORSE than it does today?!?!

Parts of Hamtramck look like Honduras.

The only reason people are moving to Hazel Park is because it's close to Royal Oak, Ferndale and downtown Detroit and because there is plenty of housing stock under $150k. Young couples have been priced out of Royal Oak and Ferndale. Madison Heights, too, unless you want to live in the shitty area near and south of 11 Mile Rd that looks even worse than Hazel Park. Hazel Park's two main thoroughfares look terrible. The streetscape looked FAR NICER a decade ago than it does now.

Area communities that look worse now than fifteen years ago:
- Pontiac
- Westland
- Eastpointe
- Warren (a lot of the commercial property along Dequindre Rd is a total eyesore! The center of the city along Van Dyke is very stale and loaded with functionally obsolete commercial property.)
- Waterford (no reason at all to live there unless you live on a lake)
- Hazel Park
- Auburn Hills (losing the Palace was a big blow)
- Mt. Clemens (their downtown is completely dead)
- Lincoln Park

Area communities that look better now than fifteen years ago:
- Troy (already damn good; getting better)
- Berkley
- Wyandotte (perhaps my favorite downriver community)
- Taylor
- Shelby Twp

Special mention:
Shout out to the Grosse Pointes, whose home values on a price per square foot basis have failed to kept pace with most other suburban communities that have (i) low crime and (ii) at least decent schools. It is stunning how affordable some of the real estate stock in the Grosse Pointes has become. On a price per square foot basis, Royal Oak, Troy, and especially Huntington Woods are far more expensive.

I guess people don't want to deal with fish flies, I-94, and mediocre shopping options!

Special mention #2:
Word to Ferndale - get rid of those hideous, oversized billboards along Woodward! They make your downtown look tacky.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Well, with Hamtramck, there's no where to go but up. Besides, I've heard it's actually improving, maybe not appearance-wise.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Hamtramck is heavily "ethnic". Immigration has resulted in a higher population/tax base. It went from 18k to 23k people and the ethnic community is slowly buying and repopulating old buildings for things like halal food centers. Also, hipster/starving artist/musician types are moving in due to dirt cheap rent and proximity to bars. Yeah, it looks like crap. But new demographics are pumping new life into it and successfully reversed population decline. The old polish families leaving or dying off really put the place in jeopardy and right now there is a sign of new life.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:28 pm

As far as the Pointes, I think its viewed as too "stuffy", "old money", and old fashioned. Younger generations with that kind of money are buying in new subdivisions out in Oakland Twp or Novi/Commerce. They are also buying in Birmingham, where a majority of the neighborhoods have been transformed via demolition and replacement.
People dont seem interested in spending big dollars on 1930s houses unless they plan on replacing it with a new build.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:00 pm

I feel sorry for Grosse Pointe residents who had to open up that passage that was blocked to Detroit.Good luck to them, Im sure the realestate market will be busy.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm

Fun fact about Berkley, it has the highest number of TV employees per capita of any city in Metro Detroit. A very large number of employees from 2,4 and 7 as well as televised sports PxP technicians are Bears.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:30 am

Hamtramck is a dump. It was bad 15 years ago, but I can’t say it’s improving.
Lincoln Park has plenty of empty retail. I don’t know too much about the residential areas, but from what I have see it looks OK.
Pontiac has been bad for at least 30 years and isn’t changing.
Ferndale has really improved. In the 90s it was awful, but then again Royal Oak was bad in the 80s. The hot place was Birmingham back then- the trends move down Woodward.

Berkley has always been a decent small city.
I agree about Warren, but it has been on a slow decline for years.
Hazel Park looks about the same.

My additions:

Worse- Monroe, Inkster (it has been bad for years), Romulus, Harper Woods, Highland Park (they keep declining), Marine City

Better- South Lyon, Richmond, Flat Rock (slight improvement)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 am

I forgot to name one for my improving column: Clawson.

Here's another one for my declining column: Canton.

Hell, I'll add Sterling Heights to the "declining" list, too! South end of the city is looking a little rough. Van Dyke thoroughfare isn't what it used to be, and if Lakeside Mall becomes the next Summit Place, the north end is really going to be in trouble.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 am
I forgot to name one for my improving column: Clawson.

Here's another one for my declining column: Canton.

Hell, I'll add Sterling Heights to the "declining" list, too! South end of the city is looking a little rough. Van Dyke thoroughfare isn't what it used to be, and if Lakeside Mall becomes the next Summit Place, the north end is really going to be in trouble.
I considered Sterling Heights due to the condition of the older neighborhoods. Lots of updates needed. Bad paint, old fixtures like garage doors, faded aluminum siding, etc. Same as Southfield. Except Sterling Heights hasnt leveled off. Its still growing. New buildings are still going up.
A lot of the apartment complexes look dirty and old, totally not worth the rental prices. But I think thats true for a lot of places.
Theres a complex on 14 Mile near Ryan that says "luxury apartments". They sure dont look it.
But, a lot of Sterling Heights is better maintained and the growth made me decide not to label it "declining".
If anything, Clinton Twp is closer. Particularly the older areas off 14 and 15 Mile.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic