Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

All area weather forecasters suck!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

All area weather forecasters suck!

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Congrats on being off by a mile on two of three days this holiday weekend!!!

Saturday - forecast high in upper 70s to near 80. Actual: 87. Muggy.

Sunday - forecast was for a mix of sun and clouds and a scattered shower with highs in the low to mid 70s. Actual - across much of metro Detroit, the afternoon saw multiple hours of rain with temps in the 60s.

Monday - forecast was low 70s with a mostly cloudy afternoon. Actual- sunny morning with partly cloudy afternoon and temps in the mid 70s.

Today was the closest forecast of the three days, but overall they did a pretty crappy job.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: All area weather forecasters suck!

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 pm

I should add - it was fun watching Dave Rexroth do his chicken little routine on 7's 6PM newscast this evening. The fact the station led with the storm threat (which is nothing to write home about for the vast majority of their viewing area) as its top story over Dan Gilbert is laughable.

The severe weather threat is pretty much along & south of I-80.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 pm

I blame the high-pressure front. Never can trust mother nature.

Reminds me of the time there was an earthquake in Italy, and they arrested the geologists.

Since our government is going fascist too maybe we can get these forecasters arrested.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/ ... emns-court

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 27, 2019 9:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 pm
I should add - it was fun watching Dave Rexroth do his chicken little routine on 7's 6PM newscast this evening. The fact the station led with the storm threat (which is nothing to write home about for the vast majority of their viewing area) as its top story over Dan Gilbert is laughable.

Take it easy on Dave, MW. Remember, he's a fireworks safety advocate first and a meteorologist second.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 pm
I blame the high-pressure front. Never can trust mother nature.

Reminds me of the time there was an earthquake in Italy, and they arrested the geologists.

Since our government is going fascist too maybe we can get these forecasters arrested.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/ ... emns-court

That’s what happens when you get far left Democrats- fascism.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 am

Matt wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Take it easy on Dave, MW. Remember, he's a fireworks safety advocate first and a meteorologist second.
Ouch..... I’m sure that DR never meant to have the accident with the fireworks. However, the fact that we put that much “faith” in (any of) the weather guys/gals who is/are on the tv/radio is amazing.

(How many more slashes / can I get in this post- lol)

I think they all have more computer models nowadays and they are the persona of the station that just delivers what the weather supposedly will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 am

Rexroth is always keeping his eyes....errrr....eye...open for severe weather.

ascher2

Post by ascher2 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:03 pm

PAUL GROSS knows weather!

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Tue May 28, 2019 2:08 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:47 pm
Congrats on being off by a mile on two of three days this holiday weekend!!!

Saturday - forecast high in upper 70s to near 80. Actual: 87. Muggy.

Sunday - forecast was for a mix of sun and clouds and a scattered shower with highs in the low to mid 70s. Actual - across much of metro Detroit, the afternoon saw multiple hours of rain with temps in the 60s.

Monday - forecast was low 70s with a mostly cloudy afternoon. Actual- sunny morning with partly cloudy afternoon and temps in the mid 70s.

Today was the closest forecast of the three days, but overall they did a pretty crappy job.
Maybe you can go get an atmospheric science degree and do better!!

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue May 28, 2019 5:32 pm

I just want to know what that chick on WJBK is wearing on her ankle.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue May 28, 2019 7:42 pm

Maybe channel 4 should bring back that guy with the barking dog. I have forgotten his name.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 pm

Maybe you can go get an atmospheric science degree and do better!!
Some of the folks doing TV weather on-air in Detroit do not even have meteorology degrees, believe it or not.

The staff at WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids does it right. They take long-term climatological trends and knowledge of Michigan's quirky weather into account when making forecasts, especially long range forecasts.

Unlike the National Weather Service and their parrots at MLive and at TV stations across the state, the fine staff at News 8 in Grand Rapids correctly predicted a cooler than average spring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic