Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Timothy Alan Dick, Harry Rodger Webb Callsigns, Funny Physics

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
CK-722

Timothy Alan Dick, Harry Rodger Webb Callsigns, Funny Physics

Post by CK-722 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:11 pm

I had to look up the callsign KK6OTD that I found last Night after "Last Man Standing". I thought I had the wrong one when the name Dick, Tim came up.

As was brought up in another forum, people who have names which are in whole or part crude terms for important anatomical features, usually do change them, especially in radio and TV. The first person I ever met by that surname, introduced himself by his surname, in the way Johnny Cash introduced himself as Sue, "my name is blank".

There were some other callsigns for Dick, Timothy A. I couldn't figure out if they were his former callsigns, or callsigns for the resulting progeny.

Paul Revere of Paul Revere and the Raiders was also a, er, Paul Revere Dick. Larry Lujack was a close personal friend of Paul's and didn't reveal that surname name for years. He always just said he knew Paul Revere in Idaho. For a long time, I thought Revere was a made up name like Lujack, but Revere truly was Paul's middle name.

Sir Cliff Richard's real name (Oh Oh not again) is Harry Rodger Webb, and had the amateur callsign W2JOF (Not again). I feel like James Bond when he said "I Must Be Dreaming", in "Goldfinger".

Let's just leave Paul Purtan's true middle name alone for this discussion. We'll leave that for another day, along with where he once worked.
Last edited by CK-722 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Ben Zonia

Re: Timothy Alan Dick, Harry Rodger Webb Callsigns

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm not touching this topic.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

CK-722

Re: Timothy Alan Dick, Harry Rodger Webb Callsigns

Post by CK-722 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Next week, we'll discuss the device first used to investigate the Higgs Boson, first postulated by Peter Higgs. The jokes just go downhill from here, and tend to write themselves. Remember to use spell check if you post questions about this device.

k8jd

Re: Timothy Alan Dick, Harry Rodger Webb Callsigns, Funny Physics

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 pm

How does this thread fit into the "Engineering and DX" topic ???? (Other the aside about Peter Higgs and his Boson) :shock:
Last edited by k8jd on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 pm

How ?
Last edited by k8jd on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 pm

OK. If MW wants to move it to Chatterbox, that's fine.

The first post discusses two famous amateur radio operators, Tim Allen and Cliff Richard. I thought we had a post about Tim Allen (Tim Alan Dick) before, being a radio amateur like you are. As I researched it, I guess it got further afield with the discoveries made and parallels made.

I guess it got a little far afield, into humor mainly. I thought it was carefully crafted so as to not be inappropriate, maybe borderline in places.

As far as the Dick Purtan CKLW joke reference, Dick Purtan made the joke himself at one radio reunion, about one of the managers.. Another similar joke was made by an area station owner, about a certain area DJ's surname, which was posted on another radio forum.

As far as Physics jokes being over the line, do a Google Search on "Funny Physics", and you'll find much more over the line jokes. And I've heard material similar to this on AM and SSB groups on 80 meters in Michigan.

But have been ill and I am taking a lot of pharmacological agents and supplements, all legal I might add. Maybe my timing is off.

I will take it on advisement. On what level(s) are you offended, may I ask? Post specifics.

Look up KK8OTD in the meantime on one of the many search engines. The callsign shown on the show is NOT his actual callsign. It just hit me funny I guess. I never knew his given name.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 pm
...Look up KK8OTD in the meantime on one of the many search engines. The callsign shown on the show is NOT his actual callsign. It just hit me funny I guess. I never knew his given name.
Tim is KK6OTD ( not 8 ).
His fictional call on the show as Mike Baxter is KA0XTT. The very well-equipped shack, which used to be set up in his home but is now at his "Outdoor Man" workplace, gets an occasional few seconds on the show. Last week, "Mike" (Allen) was finishing up a QSO as someone walked into his office.
The hams on the show's production crew often put the station on the air a few hours before the show's Tuesday tapings, with club call KA6LMS (Last Man Standing). If you're on Facebook, the "Mike Baxter" page announces times and frequencies in advance. A successful contact earns one a nifty actual physical QSL card.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:38 pm

He got the 6 right in the first post. Maybe he was thinking about his Seaholm and Kazoo days.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:10 pm

Did anyone ever see the K8OWM set up? Saw it on a home tour a number of years ago. Most Awesome Shack/Dormer I've ever seen.

-Author Unknown

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:27 pm

I actually was a morning engineer at WXYZ a few days each week (crazy split shifts for us) when Dick Purtan was on the air on the other side of the glass. Don't recall hearing his REAL first name mentioned. Too many years went by :D

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Purtan did occasionally do some salty humor. Maybe CK-722 wanted to leave him out of the discussion because Dick's wife passed recently after a long battle with cancer.

That was a funny joke about his relative contribution to his daughters' births. And his analysis is more consistent with human physiology, whether we like it or not. People are always trying to change normal.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic