Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Local News

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14896

The Local News

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:23 am

This is sort of a rant. After reading about the Pledge of Allegiance thing in Florida, I decided to start a thread.

Part of the whining about WXYZ and this thing in Florida is, to me anyway, laziness.
More and more, the local stations seem to rely on satellite feed to fill the hour. Every 10 minutes, something about Donald.
Every 20 minutes, something about the fake mugging in Chicago, the latest this Florida allegiance thing.
Heck, it's seems that's all WXYZ does for a half hour. Come back from commercials, tell us something going on out of state, then go back to a string of commercials.

Even though I'm not in the business, I think we can all agree it's easier (and lazier) to just go to satellite and read the script that came with it. Easier than sending someone out to cover something local. Easier than a local editor writing script.

I see people talk on here about how viewership for Today and GMA is declining.
My thought is, why would someone that has been watching 4 or 7 want to not change channels at 7am and watch the same news items they just saw on the local station? If you take away what the local stations already covered, GMA is just GMNY.
Is this one of the reasons Fox2 is most watched after 7am?

Should WDIV even call itself "Local 4" if half the stories are out of state?

borderboy653659200

Re: The Local News

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Oxlong,Donald tweets or says something dumb or offensive every 10 minutes,thus WXYZ reports his stupid ramblings .

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Oxlong,Donald tweets or says something dumb or offensive every 10 minutes,thus WXYZ reports his stupid ramblings .

jsf

Post by jsf » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:39 pm

I think we all know which way our out of country scribe thinks about our politics, he seems to be an expert on everything. While I agree on the Networks and their slanted news stories I agree that ABC is the worst at doing this. This might explain why the ratings are down for some of these channels. The same can be said of ESPN who for the last few years has been going down because it's aiming for a certain group of viewers instead of trying to appeal to a more broad based group. The American viewer I think is smarter than these networks give them credit for.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 pm

These local stations aren't just "being lazy". Corporate is making them do this. That is not new.
"Local news" is not locally owned you know.

The same news stories are heard across the country, with the exact same script being read

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:26 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 pm
These local stations aren't just "being lazy". Corporate is making them do this. That is not new.
"Local news" is not locally owned you know.

The same news stories are heard across the country, with the exact same script being read
Exactly.
So talk longer from the Boat Show or the Art Fair or the live shot at The Mother of All Potholes.
Or let whoever is cooking in the kitchen finish what they are doing.
Or someone playing music in the studio, let them finish the song.

Every time they have something like above going on, after about 3-4 minutes, they start saying "We gotta go, we gotta go". And then the next thing they show is something I consider lame off a satellite.
Sometimes it's Washington, sometimes a viral video, or news from Hollywood.

So many times I see this, and I think "This is what they bum rushed the local content off for?"

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Life is better with a boat,though Cowboy might doubt this .

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:04 pm

National news is too biased and too liberal. That’s the issue. I believe that’s why some turn to local news. Fox 2 News Morning is all local, all morning lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic