Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

New rules for short towers

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
phillyb

New rules for short towers

Post by phillyb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:08 am

http://www.thebdr.net/articles/steel/tw ... erRule.pdf

In short, many towers 200 feet or shorter will have to be painted (but not lit) just like taller towers are painted in aeronautical red & white.

Many stations will be affected by this rule.

I can remember when the FCC required painting and lighting of WKJR's towers which were 160 feet tall. This requirement was dropped in the mid or late 1970s. The FCC has not required such painting for short towers since then, except in rare situations, IIRC.

k8jd

Re: New rules for short towers

Post by k8jd » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 pm

so If you are on 1700 kHz, a 90 degree tower is only 138 Ft tall and you have to paint it red and white>?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Also, I read something in Radio World that said that there is a way to put up a set of very short towers, and your signal will be all groundwave and you don't have to worry about night time skywave, and that would work on all the graveyards channels with great success. Anyone else heard of this? If true, it sounds like a great way to fix all (NON-clear-1a) local stations to avoid skywave at night? Comments?

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:16 am

Might be for a PARAN antenna. See the following:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/158669/?reload=true

I think this involves a minimum of four towers, possibly more, all short.

More stations don't use this because it's more expensive than just putting up a quarter-wave single tower. Not sure if PARANs can be directional or if they are all nondirectional in their patteerns.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic