Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Look at all the NOAA Wx Radio stations in FL & GA that are off the air...

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Look at all the NOAA Wx Radio stations in FL & GA that are off the air...

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 pm

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/

There have got to be close to a dozen transmitters in Florida and S. Georgia that are completely off the air.

Beaumont, TX and Victoria, TX are still off the air from HARVEY.

Not at all a good look for the National Weather Services folks who keep trying to push these radio receivers as vital units in an emergency, no-power type situation.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

KeenerGold

Re: Look at all the NOAA Wx Radio stations in FL & GA that are off the air...

Post by KeenerGold » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 am

The entire Upper Peninsula is off the air. Way to go, NWS!

Plate Cap

Re: Look at all the NOAA Wx Radio stations in FL & GA that are off the air...

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Sigh.

I don't understand what the "special bone" is for the NWS radio system here on the board. Did someone from the NWS weather-radio people insult someone's mother once?

I've built some of the NWS base stations, and I've built a LOT of cellular base stations.

NWS systems are reasonably robust, sometimes have a standby TX but sometimes not, and rarely a standby antenna. Maintenance is 'meh' but not nonexistent. Coverage from a good site is easily 30 miles, sometimes 50. Funding is about zilch, which is the real problem. Want to fix that? Elect people who don't want to give your money to people who won't work, and instead fund actual and reasonable government-run missions.

Cellular works great in blue-sky, everything-is-fine scenarios. It is getting better, but is not mission critical at all. NWS facilities are much more mission critical.

Further, and perhaps most important, the NWS people at the forecast office 'push the button' and monitor the systems when possible. With cellular, the actual activation mechanism is much less direct.

We all have our shiny I-don't-know-much phones, and figure since they are so neat they can do so much, they can do ANYTHING. Some putz I know thinks they can replace marine radios. Most people think they can do everything right up to curing smelly feet. I love to watch people pull out their little phones, look up their own super-secret-special weather site, and argue with each other if it's going to rain in 20 minutes or 30.

Bottom line is that cellular sometimes works fine, but tends to fail when things are bad, and the alerts over it are pretty okay but still not terribly consistent. I've seen incidents where people with different carriers get weather warnings 10 minutes apart. Assuming the NWS system is there and working, cellular cannot BEGIN to compare to a $40 radio, monitoring constantly and without operator input, and going off on an alarm.

I know the NWS people are (insert all the over-the-top, nasty, insulting, and black-or-white adjectives used here on the board), but properly designed and operating, it's a viable system.... more reliable than cellular when properly operating, and can feed unlimited inexpensive, no-subscription, single-purpose receivers placed strategically. It is certainly an important tool to have in the box.

No one tool is the answer, unless you yourself are a "tool" for thinking that.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic