Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

NOUO: This seems wildly impossible

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
rst599

NOUO: This seems wildly impossible

Post by rst599 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:12 pm

The Commission has been stepping up its enforcement on unlicensed operations in the FM broadcast band. I peruse the notices of unlicensed operation just to see what people are trying to get away with, but this one seemed wildly impossible. If you do the calculations, in order to get 1.3 volts/meter at 5 km from the transmitter, which is what the notice states was measured, you'd have to be running approximately 900 kilowatts ERP.

There is a tower at the site and a CP issued for a quarter kW translator on another frequency on that tower but that kind of power into a typical translator antenna would incinerate it.

The maximum allowed field strength for a Part 15 device in the FM band is 250 microvolts per meter at 3 meters, which equates to about 10 nanowatts (0.00000001 watts) into a dipole. Heck, a typical Ethernet switch radiates more RF power than that.

I'm kind of curious as to what sort of measurement technique was used to obtain a reading like that, and what was going on at the site.

audiophile

Re: NOUO: This seems wildly impossible

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Probably meant 4.995 Meters...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:47 am

Or maybe 1.3 millivolts/meter at 5 km?

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 am

Either FedUp's or Rich's determination above me is the likely answer; I suspect no one technical proofread the document when it was completed. I've done some searching and not found a correction yet; after a couple of weeks you would think there would be one.

That said, depending upon the program material:

I observe a reticence......at best 'slowness'......to act against "protected class" violators, i.e. (alleged....certainly not a minority in many areas) 'minority' races, certain "protected" "immigrant" groups, and the like.

A white kid playing rock music from his 20 watt TX in his bedroom will get shut down in hours or at best days with black helicopters, federal marshals, and lots of news coverage.......a station playing Malcolm X rants or salsa music will go on for months or years.

Kind of a microcosm of how crime in general is viewed.
Last edited by Plate Cap on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:05 pm

I google earthed to the site and there is a 90 ft tower there, looks like a small time used pickup truck sales yard. actually in Jacksonville, AR just N.E. of Little Rock. See a top mounted antenna and one side mount just below the top and another side mount about a third of the way down. Can't see much detail of what they are. Interstate 40 is about 5KM south of the site mentioned and I wonder if there was a missing decimal point like 1320.691 microVolts?
The field vehicle from the FCC was probably driving down the interstate while taking the readings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic