Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Governor Whitmer declaring state of emergency

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 8570

Re: Governor Whitmer declaring state of emergency

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:53 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:27 pm
I fully support the emergency declaration for the reasons stated above.
Agreed. I also support the decision to close offices on Monday and Wednesday, but not tomorrow. I'm fine with schools being closed tomorrow, but the state government should be open.
Radiohead wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 am
Just fix the damn roads...
She is already jockeying for more money. Get ready to open your wallet. Her MDOT lackey is carrying some water for her: https://amp-freep-com.cdn.ampproject.or ... 9679002%2F
I didn’t see anything horrifyingly objectionable... I did see a lot of talk about innovating to do more with less. I didn’t see “hey we need to hike your stuff again” anywhere in that article... it also sounds like the 1951 road funding law is the root of the issue and that they want to fix that problem too... all decent things...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

This is very simple. Remove the 6% sales tax from gasoline and increase the per gallon fuel tax. Rely on bonding to raise a quick $2 billion to give our roads a "shot in the arm" given the decades of deferred maintenance. Increase the general sales tax to 6.5%. Reduce auto insurance rates by reforming or scrapping no fault.

At the end of the day, roads would see a lot more money, schools would see somewhat more money, our insurance rates would fall significantly, and for 90%+ of taxpayers, the impact on our pocketbooks would either be neutral or in our favor. Five years from now, the net benefit to taxpayers would grow. Car repairs would be less frequent and our vehicles would last longer!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm
This is very simple. Remove the 6% sales tax from gasoline and increase the per gallon fuel tax. Rely on bonding to raise a quick $2 billion to give our roads a "shot in the arm" given the decades of deferred maintenance. Increase the general sales tax to 6.5%. Reduce auto insurance rates by reforming or scrapping no fault.

At the end of the day, roads would see a lot more money, schools would see somewhat more money, our insurance rates would fall significantly, and for 90%+ of taxpayers, the impact on our pocketbooks would either be neutral or in our favor. Five years from now, the net benefit to taxpayers would grow. Car repairs would be less frequent and our vehicles would last longer!
I always thought it odd that Michigan charges sales tax on gasoline...basically we are charged 3 different taxes on gas including state and federal tax. Either A. Remove the 6% sales tax on gas. Or B. Dedicate that 6% sales tax to roads only. IMO, any taxes at the pump should go towards roads. Face it, we have a LOT of catching up to do. Further, I think we should be getting more back from the federal gas tax. I'm not sure what the current rate is but I think we're giving more than we are getting back.

I'm just not sure about raising the states sales tax. But doing something with no fault insurance would be a plus.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:55 pm

They closed the post office at 3 pm today - the lady working there said in her 30 years that this was a first. USPS also didn't do their daily pickup at our business today.

This is ridiculous, IMO. It was cold, but it got up to about +7 degrees F today here and only bottomed out at minus 5 last night.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:55 pm
They closed the post office at 3 pm today - the lady working there said in her 30 years that this was a first. USPS also didn't do their daily pickup at our business today.

This is ridiculous, IMO. It was cold, but it got up to about +7 degrees F today here and only bottomed out at minus 5 last night.
With the wind chill it would have felt well below zero.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 pm

We also need to get our truck weight limits in line with other states. We have freeze/thaw issue already, no need to compound it. Michigan is no longer the industrial state it once was.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:55 pm

The wind chills are making it difficult to be outside at all... my 4 in St Ignace felt like negative 30 this afternoon... the wind is brutal. Asking someone to walk house to house or do any physical work outside is crazy if you can hold it off a day. Keep in mind that you are in a more favored spot in Tawas... the southern half of the state and especially the southwestern portions are in rough shape as is the U.P.... you can’t look outside your door there and assume everything statewide is great...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 pm

It's currently 14 below here in Novi.
🐧

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Governor Whitmer has asked residents statewide to turn it down to 65 or less to conserve natural gas after a utility issue...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:15 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 pm
Governor Whitmer has asked residents statewide to turn it down to 65 or less to conserve natural gas after a utility issue...
Wasn't that the entire point of his rant thread in the other forum ?
😆

Music is my life.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 pm

If I recall correctly, the truck weight limit in Michigan is just more than double of the neighboring states. Definitely needs addressed.
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 pm
We also need to get our truck weight limits in line with other states. We have freeze/thaw issue already, no need to compound it. Michigan is no longer the industrial state it once was.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 pm
I just got the emergency alert on my phone

Music is my life.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 am

Once again, the USPS has suspended services in much of Michigan today.

I'm sorry, but I stand by my opinion that this is ridiculous. Winds today, while breezy, aren't as high as yesterday and temperatures, while very cold, aren't quite as cold as yesterday across the state. I'm certain the post office has remained fully up and running in worse weather than this many times in the past.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 am

I'm sorry, but I stand by my opinion that this is ridiculous. Winds today, while breezy, aren't as high as yesterday and temperatures, while very cold, aren't quite as cold as yesterday across the state. I'm certain the post office has remained fully up and running in worse weather than this many times in the past.
I don't remember it being this cold in the past. Ann Arbor broke a 108-year record for cold temperature yesterday: https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/01/ann- ... ecord.html

I remember not having school one day in the 90s in Saginaw when the wind chill was about -20. I was obviously in school, so I was only monitoring if I didn't have school at the time, but I don't remember the state or USPS closing before.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:42 am

It's probably more than the extreme cold at play. And with all the school closings too I am guessing the back roads aren't in good shape yet.
bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic