Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Any Scanner Enthusiasts Here?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
In The Bleachers

Re: Any Scanner Enthusiasts Here?

Post by In The Bleachers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:08 pm

I see a heck of a no-no. You buried the coax. Burying coax that isn't designed to be buried will attenuate your receive signal BIG time.
If you want to keep that setup for your TV's, etc, that's up to you.
But as for the scanners, get the length of the feed line cut down as much as you can. Possibly get a 10' pole, mount it next to the house, maybe on a gate post with hose clamps. Make a VHF quarter wave outta an SO-239, and use some better coax. I think you'll find an appreciable better signal on all the bands.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:22 pm

syntheticexctasy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 am
I've got a slightly overkill setup, all thrown together with rg59 that was laying around.

Antenna's on the garage on a rotator about 30' agl, fed into a dist amp, which feeds buried rg59 to the house, where it's split off in several directions to different rooms. I've done my best to keep the "important" stuff on the lowest loss feeds (my FM dx tuner, a couple TVs and a feed to the room with the SDRs). All in, there's probably:
~+40db from the amp
~-10.5db from splitters
~100' of RG59 from the antenna terminals to the furthest point (currently, my SDRs)
You had me SMH at RG-59 (of any length) for 800MHz. Above low VHF or so you might as well be using a lossy wet noodle, regardless of how much preamplification is ahead of it. Splitters and all the attendant extra connectors don't help matters either. Put up antennas resonant on the chunks of spectrum you want to monitor, each with its own low-loss cable feedline, rated for direct burial, if that's how you have to do it, or in conduit.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for the input guys. The RG59 I used only because I am a cheapskate, and it's what I had laying around :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic