Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

What's wrong with local AM radio ?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
k8jd

What's wrong with local AM radio ?

Post by k8jd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Yesterday I found 1600 kHz vacant, WAAM seemed to be off the air, today it's back loud and cear but I can't hear anything on 1200, dead , no carrier even. Can't hear anytning on 1340 now from WEXL or whatever they call it now. Flint's 600 WSNL seems to be gone.
It doesn't seem to be my receivers or antennas causing trouble, I just tuned WSPD in Toledo OK, went to 1190 and can hear the carrier and some voice on WOWO and tuned in some airport beacons In Detroit, Windsor, Wiarton and Kitchner, on longwave and that works ok.
Was there some bad storm and lightning damage to those stations. The big storms all have missed Commerce this summer.
Any one out there hear any news ?

rst599

Re: What's wrong with local AM radio ?

Post by rst599 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:28 pm

WCHB (1200) is under a silent STA filed August 4th while the new owners install studio gear at the transmitter site. The STA application said it would take more than 30 days. Not sure about the rest of them.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:31 pm

I had trouble across the board last night on the AM band; thought it was an antenna problem; could be, but could be weird atmospherics from this horribly high dew point that nearly begs for a tornado and had we had a lot of sun to percolate the clouds this morning we would be in big trouble by now.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:49 pm

I believe WCHB was still using the old studios With WMKM down in the "new center" area down the street from the golden tower of the Fisher building :D

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:31 pm
I had trouble across the board last night on the AM band; thought it was an antenna problem; could be, but could be weird atmospherics from this horribly high dew point that nearly begs for a tornado and had we had a lot of sun to percolate the clouds this morning we would be in big trouble by now.
I saw those dark frequencies both in daylight and at night. Home with the BIG radio and on the road in my old Ford Focus and F-150/with the fancy HD radio

rst599

Post by rst599 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:55 pm

I could copy WEXL (barely) today out in the far west suburbs, mixing with another station, possibly Hillsdale. Bad Axe is directional to the north and farther away.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic