Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

14 Year Old Electrocuted When Cell Phone Falls In Bathtub

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Fingerboard Corners

14 Year Old Electrocuted When Cell Phone Falls In Bathtub

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:04 pm

Different theories on this. Some say this could only have happened if there was an extension cord to the charger, even if plugged into a ground fault interrupter. This type of thing only used to happen when old plugged in radios, especially tube radios, fell into the bathtub.

http://www.statesman.com/news/national/ ... UNBf5pLsL/

craig11152

Re: 14 Year Old Electrocuted When Cell Phone Falls In Bathtub

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Very sad. My guess is there was no GFIC outlet in the bathroom. If its a slightly older home it wouldn't have been required. I think 1975 is when GFIC became code for bathrooms.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Fingerboard Corners

Re: 14 Year Old Electrocuted When Cell Phone Falls In Bathtubt

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:40 pm

This risk could also be eliminated with a small rechargeable Lithium battery unit/Car Starter like a Halo Bolt or similar devices. In my experience, it is much more useful as a USB power device, as it won't start a completely dead, old car battery, only a newer one run down by lights or the car radio repeatedly turned back on. Lead acid devices like this often weigh 25 pounds. Ideally, don't talk on the phone in the bathtub. But if your kid is likely to do stuff like this, it's probably worth the investment and training on use.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 am

If you buy replace charger make sure they have CE or UL as well as FCC, doesn't mean they are legit, but I have found many without that and the those destroy radio reception. Better to find an OEM one in good condition, even if used.

There was a teardown of knockoff chargers and they are horribly constructed...dangerous.
http://www.righto.com/2016/03/counterfe ... rdown.html
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 am

Uses a few blue words to describe the krappy quality:

Last edited by audiophile on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 am

This shows a real vs a fake:

It is hard to tell from outside...

But WOW the inside is very different..

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:40 am

Look how a cheap power supplies kill AM reception:

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 am

I've been pondering this since I seen it on the news.
I kept wondering how could she get electrocuted off a 3V device?
I think Fingerboard's original post sounds better. She got hold of 110 and a good path.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:13 am

They need to make insulated selfie-sticks perhaps? Can't people leave their phones away from them that long? That's why there's voicemail. Sad, sad deal. Rodney Dangerfield used to say his bathtub toys from his parents was a toaster. GFCI's are a pain, and seem to turn to crap, but a must near water.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 am

Sad for the family and the first responders. It's never a pretty sight or an easy job.

Lack of proper instruction; water and electricity are something that should be covered very early by parents. Some parents seem to overlook the fact that their primary purpose on earth, above every other thing, is providing life skills and safe environment for the children. Nothing else matters.

Separation from technology is difficult for many, and will be increasingly so as time goes on. When widespread outages occur, and they will, I think we will see a lot of melted-down younger people.

A 14 year old should know better, but there is that invincibility and "I know" thing going on. That said, as I get older, I catch myself doing stupid things I don't recall doing when I was younger..............or maybe I did do them and was just lucky.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic