Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

105.5 audio

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ed Joseph

105.5 audio

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue May 02, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm doing some tweaking on my fleazapper, getting it set up where I can just connect it to my system and power it up if I want music outside. While I was dialing dialing around watching the meters on my reel deck, I had 105.5 punched up. The peaks literally pin my VU meters while the average level is well below zero. Right now, it sounds like it's straight from the console to the TX. My thought is, as horrible as it was sounding a couple weeks ago, perhaps the electrons finally fled their proc in a toxic waste-scented mushroom cloud. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like that on every radio. It could be anything with that Cume-U-Less bunch. Sometimes, I wonder if anyone from the station listens when they're not standing in front of the board!
I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

WOHO

Re: 105.5 audio

Post by WOHO » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 am

Ed, referring to QQO in T-town? Their HD-2 sounds like a 1972 tuner tuned-off frequency by 100KHz- it truly sounds analog- absolutely horrible, but I think they only have one Cumulus engineer to share between Toledo and Detroit, so they are SOL on their signals.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Fri May 05, 2017 11:03 am

I think he means WWCK-FM 105.5, another Cumulus station.

Also, I just realized that the two Jones Boys stations, WTRX and WGLN...WQQO are now coowned by Cumulus. And that John Records Landecker (aka Dow Jones) worked at no fewer than four present day Cumulus stations-WTRX, WOIA...WWWW-FM, WLS, and WLS-FM.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 05, 2017 8:44 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 am
Ed, referring to QQO in T-town? Their HD-2 sounds like a 1972 tuner tuned-off frequency by 100KHz- it truly sounds analog- absolutely horrible, but I think they only have one Cumulus engineer to share between Toledo and Detroit, so they are SOL on their signals.
Don't most HD-2's sound like that?

The other thing the level and Eq difference between Analog and HD. Very annoying switching back and forth...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat May 06, 2017 1:28 pm

There are so many stations on each of the "Clss A" freqs you have to specify what one you are commenting on.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sun May 07, 2017 9:13 am

k8jd wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 1:28 pm
There are so many stations on each of the "Clss A" freqs you have to specify what one you are commenting on.
Before WBMI West Branch came on the air, you could hear WWCK-FM 105.5 all the way up to Harrisville and Higgins Lake on a good Sony portable and/or outside antenna and receiver. You could even hear it in Jackson, and on the North side of Apartment Buildings in Ann Arbor, whereas the South side and ground level favored WGLN...WWWM...WQQO.

WWCK-FM is actually a 25 kW Class B1 now, but is directional to protect the then phantom 105.5 allotment in Chatham. When WQQO and WBMI went to the equivalent of 6 kW, it limited the effective service area a lot.

Fascinating History of WQQO on Wikipedia. Mike Ryan, the inventor of the Jones Boys, is from Toledo, but started it at WTRX before moving the concept to WGLN...WQQO as manager in 1968.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WQQO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic