Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WCXI New CP moving again?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
k8jd

WCXI New CP moving again?

Post by k8jd » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Does Birach still have some claim to the swamp land west of Wixom Road, north of Maple Rd? I know they were going to relocate WPON out there and then gave it up. Now I see they are going to have 15000 W and 125W at night with a DA2 antenna. It shows 1160 as the freq but I wonder if they are going to reinstate 1460 somehow. I believe 1160 will have more coverage even with WYLL fulltime 50 kW from Joliet !
1460 was on the first CP for that site.
Anybody got the insider info on this ?

?

audiophile

Re: WCXI New CP moving again?

Post by audiophile » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 pm

They have until 5/15/18 for WPON.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:02 am

What is WCXI's power now? They not moving CXI, are they? I wish that they had classic country on there, but that's just me.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:43 am

Yes WCXI is moving to same site as WPON. WCXI is 1 kW now.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:32 pm

It's the same location. I thought it might be different because it's part of some kind of Park area now. Best indication online of what the real conductivity is there would be the WDEO proof radial in that direction on the WMVP application. It may be swampy, but it is fresh water, and the soil under the swamp is sandy and gravelly, and the skin depth in poor conductors like fresh water and soil goes down tens of feet. A swamp in the New Jersey Meadowlands would have a lot of salt in the water, making it a good conductor and less skin depth.

http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/files/gro ... length.pdf

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Yes WCXI is moving to same site as WPON.
Hell will freeze over before WCXI's "new facilities" ever see the light of day. That thing will NEVER get built, at least not under current ownership.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:22 pm

I think it will happen, eventually. It's not rocket science.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:30 am

Anyone heard anything more about the WMFN 640 Peotone, IL facility being built? I heard about a year ago that the towers were up.

Just looked at the 16 degree DA Proof of Performance radial for WDEO 990 Ypsilanti from 1997. From 4 km to 34 km, the measurements most closely match the 4 mS/m curve. It's actually probably a little less than 4, because only a couple of points are above the curve. Most of them are below. So from about 2.5 miles to about 21.2 miles, the conductivity is no better than about 4 mS/m. So if we overlay this on a map from the near Clark Rd. TL site, it will extend the 16 degree radial into Oakland County. Clark Rd. is at about -4 Mile Rd., so +8 Mile Rd. is about 12 miles. So the 16 degree radial goes about 9 miles into Oakland County, to about the equivalent of 17 Mile Rd. The WCXI site is about 16 mile and the extension of the Wayne Washtenaw County line, about Charms Rd. It is about 19.8 miles at about 10 degrees true. So this radial passes fairly close to the site. The WUFL 270 degree Proof of Performance radial from 1988 also passes close by and matches the same 4 mS/m curve near there. That radial would pass around the equivalent of 18 1/2 Mile Rd.

I have a copy of the WDRQ/WUFL Proof of Performance Map somewhere, given to me by Mr. Wright, the GM back then. The contours pulled way in to the Northwest, even compared to the 270 degree radial.

jry

Post by jry » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I think that there was some kind of hiccup, there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic