Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

14K will Be Let Go from GM

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: 14K will Be Let Go from GM

Post by audiophile » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:04 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:44 pm
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/27/general ... mpany.html

At least he is trying...

:rollin :rollin

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 pm

audiophile wrote:

At least he is trying...
he's doing more than trying, he's doing a fine job of demonstrating he has no idea how government works.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:11 pm

audiophile wrote:

At least he is trying...
His steel and aluminum tariffs played a large role in GM deciding to do this... he has no idea what he is doing and bullying GM is a fools errand... so his “trying” caused the problem in the first place... the tariffs are probably what will trigger the next recession...

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:34 pm

I'll bite.

If i were to buy a GM product, it would it would be a pick up truck. Same with Ford or Chrysler. They got the pick up trucks down good and some SUV's, I've always had a thing for Jeep Grand Cherokees . My Mom had a early 2000s Mercury mountaineer that was nice. Domestic passenger cars,no. For that it's Honda Civic/Accord or Toyota Camry/Corolla . My foray into having domestic cars wasn't good, they were sour lemons.

I had a GMC Sonoma, that seemed to have build quality issues. It seems like everything on the inside of that little truck broke. One of the better Vehicles I actually owned was a 2008 Kia Rio, 8 years and the only thing that went wrong was a coil pack one time. I never put a set of brakes on that car, it never needed them. I sold it at 100k, I was just bored and wanted something else. Loved my 97 Accord, that V-6 could haul some ass.

I do agree that, I think once you get a bad reputation, it's hard to shake it. The clunkers GM put out in the 80s and 90s are still stuck in peoples minds. Even though, those models are long gone. Also, the self entitled UAW Attitude turns me off.

The New Buick's are actually appealing, not grannys car at all but there overpriced for what they are. For a New Lacross, for a little more I could have an entry level Lexus or an Audi.

I have a feeling Buick will get the axe sooner or later. Honestly, who can afford a new car anymore? if you make under 50k a year? A new car for me would be close to what my freakin house payment is. Not to mention depreciation on new cars.

My thing is, why can't I just get a basic car? Roll down windows, basic radio, Rear defrost, and thats about it. My 95 Civc DX was like that as was my 08 Kia Rio. I loved that! very little to go wrong. A set of tires was like 200$, for 14in wheels.

I am clearly in the minority on that one but I like simplicity.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:00 pm

They should sell a basic car and let the customer purchase only the options they want. Instead, they sell everything in packages. If you want something like satellite radio, you have to take a package that includes aluminum wheels, cruise control, blue teeth connectivity, heated seats, power mirrors etc.

Adds thousands to the price of the vehicle.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:22 pm

right. I can understand on high end models or brands, but for a Ford Focus, a Honda Civic, or a Toyota Corolla. See, I don't want any of that stuff mentioned. Only thing I ask is the radio have an AUX plug for my MP3 player.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:57 am

102.7 wrote:Only thing I ask is the radio have an AUX plug for my MP3 player.
Your 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix awaits.
I hope you're kiddin' there Bri. Cuz its all Bluetooth now.

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:00 pm
They should sell a basic car and let the customer purchase only the options they want. Instead, they sell everything in packages. If you want something like satellite radio, you have to take a package that includes aluminum wheels, cruise control, blue teeth connectivity, heated seats, power mirrors etc.

Adds thousands to the price of the vehicle.
You figure out how to do that with production and make money at the same time and you'd have the highest paying job at GM.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:30 am

I get it. You make more profit if you can sucker the guy into the $5000 "Customer Preferred Package, " than if you just sell him the $200 radio.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:56 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:30 am
I get it. You make more profit if you can sucker the guy into the $5000 "Customer Preferred Package, " than if you just sell him the $200 radio.
Plus having to assemble each car differently on the line sort of takes the efficiency out of it...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:54 am

Isn't Trump using the bully pulpit?

I doubt steel tariffs had any role in their decision.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Trump absolutely should NOT be interfering in companies' employment decisions or production decisions unless it involves exportation of jobs outside of the country.

For him to attempt to strong-arm GM's strategic planning decisions is outrageous. I didn't realize we were the United States of China. Actually, a comparison to Argentina or India might be more apt here.

GM's bloated nature is what drove them to bankruptcy a decade ago! They should be encouraged to operate lean.

This is all about Trump pandering to his factory rat voter base. He is behaving just like an old-school Democrat politician controlled by Big Labor.

If Obama were attempting such a tactic, Sean Hannity and Mark Levin would be having conniption fits. I wonder if those two ding-a-lings will say even a peep about this? (If they do, they'll probably support Trump's behavior!)

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I usually don't care if a politician applies pressure by saying what they think - actual regulation is another thing however.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:30 pm
I usually don't care if a politician applies pressure by saying what they think - actual regulation is another thing however.
So you’re ok with only empty threats? Because pulling funding is a form of regulation... not that we subsidize GM anymore... that stopped a while ago...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:02 am

I just wanted to highlight the fact that Ford will still make the Mustang and Some variants of the Focus and GM will still make the Buick Regal, Chevrolet Bolt, Camaro and Malibu as well as the Cadillac CTS and ATS... Ford and GM will still make cars...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic