Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Post by mtburb » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 am

Reconstruction of a thread of the same name by Splouge that was lost in yesterday's collapse, using as much as I can pick up from the Wayback Machine. Here's the original post as archived from the Wayback Machine:
Splouge wrote:I'd like to know the furthest south, north, west, and east points where Detroit stations were carried. No stations are disqualified, not even WTVS, which I know is carried in Vancouver.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

RingtailedFox

Re: Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:06 pm

well, WDIV is carried in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador and parts of the Caribbean (thanks to CANCOM/Shaw Broadcast Services)...there were even conflicting reports on whether or not it was carried in parts of Ireland across the atlantic...

I know WKBD was carried throughout nearly ALL of michigan (all except for Benton Harbor and Saint Joseph) until 1993-1994 and was carried as far south as Bowling Green and Lima, Ohio until about a decade ago... i know until roughly 1993, CBET (CBC Windsor) was carried on cable in Grand Rapids Findlay and I think Bowling Green as well..... now it's just in Ann Arbor, Detroit, East Lansing, Flint, Toledo, and Port Clinton...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:21 pm

CBET stopped being available in the immediate Grand Rapids area in the mid 80's.

For a brief time in the early 90's, the GR Community College access station on channel 20 would carry CBC programming during prime time hours. However, this programming did not come from CBET. It actually came from CBC Newfoundland!

We didn't have New York's WOR-TV on cable in GR, either. That sucked!!! Some systems in the Holland, MI area carried it, though.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 pm

I stand corrected. thanks for the accurate info, MW!

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:15 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:06 pm
well, WDIV is carried in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador and parts of the Caribbean (thanks to CANCOM/Shaw Broadcast Services)...there were even conflicting reports on whether or not it was carried in parts of Ireland across the atlantic...

I know WKBD was carried throughout nearly ALL of michigan (all except for Benton Harbor and Saint Joseph) until 1993-1994 and was carried as far south as Bowling Green and Lima, Ohio until about a decade ago... i know until roughly 1993, CBET (CBC Windsor) was carried on cable in Grand Rapids Findlay and I think Bowling Green as well..... now it's just in Ann Arbor, Detroit, East Lansing, Flint, Toledo, and Port Clinton...
Ludington and Manistee never had 'KBD to the best of my knowledge. Both likely had WVTV Milwaukee at some point, and Whitehall/Montague had WVTV until 2006 (due in part to the GR market never having a full-time WB affiliate).

In the mid 1990s, then-WGKI replaced WKBD at least briefly on most systems outside of the Detroit market ('KBD would return in some Lower Peninsula areas, especially in markets that didn't have a UPN affiliate; WGKI/WFQX would remain on most UP systems until the launch of WMQF in 2003)

CBET is carried (and in HD to boot) in Sandusky, Ohio.

Pine River Cable (long defunct) carried WJBK, WDIV, and/or WXYZ on several systems in rural northeast Michigan (mostly those in the Alpena market).

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:25 am

Back in the early to mid 90s, WDIV and WKBD were available on a cable system known as Triax or Tryax, (not sure of the spelling) west of Toledo in cities such as Swanton, Delta, Wauseon, Napoleon, etc. I lived in Delta at the time and thought it was cool that they had those two Detroit stations without any network non-duplication or syndex restrictions. They also had WJBK for a short time, but that station was dropped when WJBK switched from CBS to Fox. In addition, we got CBC, from CBET for a while, then "CBC North" which was a much clearer signal, probably from satellite.

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 pm

I know at one time the Detroit TV network stations were available to Barrow, Alaska via Cancom (Shaw Broadcast)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic