Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

AM skywave reception almost non-existent tonight

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bmw

AM skywave reception almost non-existent tonight

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:45 pm

I was driving home, about an hour after dark, and I was flipping through the AM dial and the stations that I can normally get after dark were non-existent. In fact, the whole dial was pretty dead.

So then I went to a local station (1480 WIOS) which is normally OBLITERATED more than a few miles from Tawas starting about a half hour before dark, and it was coming in loud and clear from 20 miles away with daytime-like reception. In fact, most groundwave reception was very similar to daytime.

This is the first time I've ever experienced this. What kind of atmospheric conditions kill skywave reception after dark allowing groundwave to come through?

SolarMax

Re: AM skywave reception almost non-existent tonight

Post by SolarMax » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:36 am

There has been an ongoing Geomagnetic storm all day, from G3 to G5 levels, due to solar wind from a coronal hole. That usually will suck the life out of any expected propagation.
spaceweather.com and NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center have info on such events, among dozens of other sites with similar info.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:30 pm

SolarMax- appropriate name of the responder- yes, might even be some Northern Light activity with the geomagnetic storm.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Here, in the Tampa Bay area, MW reception was pretty decent last night. I heard WCBS, WBM, and WSM.

rst599

Post by rst599 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:47 pm

As you get farther from the auroral oval, you'll notice less of an impact on ionospheric propagation, so the southern states most likely won't notice as much disturbance.

Indeed, with an A index of 40 and K index of 5 as this is written, HF is going to be dodgy. Last night 40 and 80 meters were far deader than normal. That impacts MF (AM broadcasting) as well, but to a lesser extent. If the sky were to be clear, you might see aurora down to about 42 degrees latitude.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Turkeytop wrote:Here, in the Tampa Bay area, MW reception was pretty decent last night. I heard WCBS, WBM, and WSM.
Yep, those solar disturbances can mess up MW and SW signals.
WBM ? Not a known callsign... is that the station they listen to in the rest room ? Maybe it was WBBM on 780 from Chicago or WBZ from Boston on 1030? Those cover most of the eastern US and Canada.
The few times I have visited FL, it was hard to hear some of the regular night time sky wave stations that I hear in Detroit !

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:24 pm

k8jd wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:Here, in the Tampa Bay area, MW reception was pretty decent last night. I heard WCBS, WBM, and WSM.
Yep, those solar disturbances can mess up MW and SW signals.
WBM ? Not a known callsign... is that the station they listen to in the rest room ? Maybe it was WBBM on 780 from Chicago or WBZ from Boston on 1030? Those cover most of the eastern US and Canada.
The few times I have visited FL, it was hard to hear some of the regular night time sky wave stations that I hear in Detroit !

Oops. Typo. I meant WBBM.

Radio Chili

Post by Radio Chili » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:09 pm

I live in central FL most of the year now and the only I-A & I-B's that I'd say you can actually 'read' at night down here anymore reliably would be WLW, WKYC and KMOX.

Second stringers would be, say WPTF, WSCR, WGN, 740-Toronto, WJR, WABC WBBM, WBAP, WHAS, 860-Toronto, WWL, WCBS WLS, KDKA, WBT, WOAI, WLAC and WCKY but ONLY when their massive Spanish speaking co-channel competition from the islands are not propagating well. Otherwise these 'seconds' get hammered into submission, which is MOST nights! They might get a chance to be heard here roughly one out of every ten nights on average.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:04 pm

Just curious, a few days late, after the solar flare or whatever disturbed the AM skywaves, Took a spin across the dial. Listening here near Detroit.
1210, Phila, S9+20 dB
1140, Richmond +20
1120 St Louis S9
1040 Des Moines +10
1030 Boston +10
1000 Chi +10
880 NYC +10
870 New Orleans S9 with Interfering signals
840 Louisville + 10
830 MInneapolis S9

Things seem normal here tonight.

jm

Post by jm » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:07 pm

A little off topic, but so dared what time WTCM AM goes to daytime power. Tuesday is was almost not receivable at 8:30 just about 70 miles away. Also, Monday (actually just after midnight Tuesday) there seemed to be another station on 106.9 with a music format. I know I was getting WOOD just before midnight. This was about 20 miles north of GR.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:28 pm

http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/puba ... 298826.pdf

I am surprised that it would be 8:45 AM this week in November due to still being on EDT.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

jm

Post by jm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:47 pm

A good reason why Michigan should Stay on eastern standard time year 'round. I've read that a bill was introduced in the legislature, but apparently is going nowhere.

jm

Post by jm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:18 am

I believe the signal I heard on 106.9 early Tuesday (11/1) was Spring Arbor. WOOD must have gone off.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:27 pm

jm wrote:I believe the signal I heard on 106.9 early Tuesday (11/1) was Spring Arbor. WOOD must have gone off.
It may have been either the 106.9 from Milwaukee or the 106.9 on the Door Peninsula (which does a number to WOOD-FM's signal on its northern fringe) if not Spring Arbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm

Post by jm » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 pm

This morning (Tuesday, Nov. 8) around 7:30 am, before WTCM went on daytime power, I heard WCHS in Charleston, WVa.

jm

Post by jm » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 pm

This morning (Tuesday, Nov. 8) around 7:30 am, before WTCM went on daytime power, I heard WCHS in Charleston, WVa.

schmave

Post by schmave » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:06 pm

When there's an aurora, WJR is barely detectable here in Columbus. It's extremely weak if anything, but WLW sounds tremendous from 90 miles away because the groundwave is enhanced. The Chicago and New York flamethrowers usually are nowhere to be found, either, nor is WTAM.
That stronger-than-usual groundwave at night usually is how I can tell if an aurora is ongoing - that is, if I haven't discovered first that a 50K station I'm trying to hear is totally absent.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:28 pm

My experience is that the groundwave is not stronger with the Aurora, but the interference is zero to much less than average. The one time I predicted a visible Aurora, over the course of a 6 hour trip, there was an Auroral wipe out followed by recovery about four times. 1500+ kHz (WLAC, WWKB, WCKY, KXEL, etc.) recovered first, eventually recovering to below 1000 kHz each time, with some fairly strong WFDF and WWJ skywave returns. When I got out of the car in Northern Michigan, I looked up and immediately saw the Auroral display. It was not spectacular, but as always impressive. Usually I see it when it is NOT predicted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic