Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, August 10 at 8:00a ET have been activated.  

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:06 pm 

Grand rapids bandscan, 11:45am on march 31st In Grand Rapids Near Leonard And Walker on top of a hill, didnt have my camera so no video

88.1- WYCE- Wyoming- LOCAL
88.5 WGVU- Allendale- LOCAL
88.9- WBLU- Grand Rapids- LOCAL
89.3 WGNB Zeeland+LOCAL
89.9 WAYG- Grand Rapids+LOCAL
90.1- WMBI- Chicago
90.3 WBLV- Twin Lake+LOCAL
KAWZ Translator- 90.7 Walker
WDCB- 90.9- Glen Allyn, IL (WSLI Underneath)
WCSG 91.3- Grand Rapids-LOCAL
WMCQ 91.7- Muskegon
WDPW 91.9- Greenville
WGHN 92.1- Grand Haven
WPWX- 92.3 Chicago, Bleeding Into 92.5
WVYN 92.7 Holland
WJZQ 92.9- Cadillac
WMPA 93.1- Grand Haven
WLDB 93.3- Milwaukee
WBCT 93.7- Grand Rapids-LOCAL
WLIT 93.9- Chicago
WWKR 94.1- Hart
WJKL 94.3- Glendale Hts, IL
WTNR 94.5 Holland-LOCAL
WLS 94.7 Chicago
WYGR- 94.9- Wyoming
WIIL 95.1- Union Grove, wi
WLHT 95.7 Grand Rapids
WMAX 96.1- Holland+LOCAL
WBBM 96.3- Chicago
WKLH 96.5- Milwaukee
WSSR 96.7 Joliet- Interference from WLAV
WLAV 96.9- Grand Rapids-LOCAL
WDRV 97.1 Chicago
WRNW 97.3 Milwaukee
WWSN 97.5 Whitehall
WMLQ 97.7- Manistee
WGRD 97.9 Grand Rapids-LOCAL
WLKN 98.1 Sheboygan
WCCQ 98.3 Crest Hill, IL
WFGR 98.7 Grand Rapids+LOCAL
WMYX 99.1- Milwaukee
WJQK 99.3- Zeeland+LOCAL
WUSN 99.5 Chicago
WUGN 99.7- Midland
WILV 100.3 Chicago
WTRV 100.5- Grand Rapids+LOCAL
WKKV 100.7 Milwaukee
WBFX 101.3- Grand Rapids+LOCAL
WMRR 101.7 Muskegon
WTMX 101.9 Skokie, IL
WLUM 102.1 Milwaukee
WYBR 102.3 Big Rapids
WIOG 102.5 Saginaw
WVAZ 102.7 Oak Park
WFUR 102.9 Grand Rapids+LOCAL
WKFR 103.3- Battle Creek
WKSC 103.5- Chicago
WXSS 103.7 Milwaukee
WVGR 104.1- Grand Rapids+LOCAL
WSNX 104.5 Muskegon+LOCAL
WDDW 104.7- Sturtevant, WI
WOJO 105.1- Evanston, IL
WHTS 105.3 Coopersville- LOCAL
WSRW 105.7- Grand Rapids+LOCAL
WGLM 106.3- Lakeview
WVFM 106.5- Kalamazoo
WOOD 106.9 Muskegon+LOCAL
WBBL 107.3 Greenville+LOCAL
WGCI 107.5 Chicago
WVCY 107.7 Milwaukee
WMUS 107.9- Muskegon

Last edited by 48125er on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:56 pm 

Most impressive IMO:
No WLAW or WYVN
All the stations first adjacent to locals (especially those running IBOC), especially Class As
With all the Milwaukees and Chicagos coming in, I thought WZDR Sturgeon Bay would kill WUGN
WLUM over WMUK (WLUM never reaches Manistee, even when most other Milwaukee stations make the trip)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:10 pm 

im surprised too i didnt get WZDR Or WPFF since i was getting cadillac and manistee stations, WLAW was underneath Power 92, you could distantly hear it and WVYN was coming in, i forgot to note it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:30 am 

Looks like a pretty typical bandscan for this time of year with favorable lake conditions. Before WLAW went on the air, Power 92 used to always be in like a local at my location in Fremont and would often cover up West Bend on 92.5. Power 92 has that perfect NW Indiana location at the bottom of the lake just as 99.7 has the perfect location jutting out into the top of the lake. Can't say how many times 99.7 has come in strong even into South Bend and Power 92 far to the north.

As for the Sturgeon Bay stations, they're not very common in Grand Rapids because they need to hop over the moraines in Oceana County and then another set of moraines in Sparta, and by that time, they're all but wiped out. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it's a lot rarer than, say, in Fremont, where they're very common when Green Bay starts booming in around the third week of August.

Nice bandscan! Even though I'm living 6,400 miles away, I'm still working on posting a webpage version of my complete home bandscan from Fremont, including all the normal enhancement and tropo stations, color-coded :).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:08 pm 

cckadlec wrote:
Looks like a pretty typical bandscan for this time of year with favorable lake conditions. Before WLAW went on the air, Power 92 used to always be in like a local at my location in Fremont and would often cover up West Bend on 92.5. Power 92 has that perfect NW Indiana location at the bottom of the lake just as 99.7 has the perfect location jutting out into the top of the lake. Can't say how many times 99.7 has come in strong even into South Bend and Power 92 far to the north.

As for the Sturgeon Bay stations, they're not very common in Grand Rapids because they need to hop over the moraines in Oceana County and then another set of moraines in Sparta, and by that time, they're all but wiped out. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it's a lot rarer than, say, in Fremont, where they're very common when Green Bay starts booming in around the third week of August.

Nice bandscan! Even though I'm living 6,400 miles away, I'm still working on posting a webpage version of my complete home bandscan from Fremont, including all the normal enhancement and tropo stations, color-coded :).

what are moraines, the far edge of the silver lake sand dunes is a good dxing spot for sturgeon bay and way far over.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:38 am 

Moraines are just small hills left when glaciers receded. Some good examples are driving on M-37 north of Grand Rapids, US-31 through the southern part of Oceana County (New Era, Shelby, Hart), or I-94 through Jackson, etc. While they're not large and typical tropo is rather unaffected by them, tropo over the lake is greatly affected by them because the inversions are at lower elevations and the stations come in at lower angles and are prone to bounce off those hills, which can be as much as 500 feet high in some places. On the other hand, the same stations can be really intense if you're parked at the base of one of the hills, such as along the beach in Grand Haven (technically a sand dune in that location) where Grand Rapids locals can be entirely blocked on some days by stations as far as Madison.

And totally, Silver Lake Sand Dunes at the beach, including the lighthouse (both the beach level and atop the lighthouse) is a great location. It's one of my regular DXing sites, as seen here:

http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/dx_bandscan_dunes.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:15 am 

cckadlec wrote:
Moraines are just small hills left when glaciers receded. Some good examples are driving on M-37 north of Grand Rapids, US-31 through the southern part of Oceana County (New Era, Shelby, Hart), or I-94 through Jackson, etc. While they're not large and typical tropo is rather unaffected by them, tropo over the lake is greatly affected by them because the inversions are at lower elevations and the stations come in at lower angles and are prone to bounce off those hills, which can be as much as 500 feet high in some places. On the other hand, the same stations can be really intense if you're parked at the base of one of the hills, such as along the beach in Grand Haven (technically a sand dune in that location) where Grand Rapids locals can be entirely blocked on some days by stations as far as Madison.

And totally, Silver Lake Sand Dunes at the beach, including the lighthouse (both the beach level and atop the lighthouse) is a great location. It's one of my regular DXing sites, as seen here:

http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/dx_bandscan_dunes.htm

I-94 Near Jackson is a good location for Ohio and Indiana (Ft Wayne, Lima, Defiance, Toledo even Indianapolis and Cleveland)