All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Most distant AM/FM/TV signal you ever tuned in?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Radio Chili

Re: Most distant AM/FM/TV signal you ever tuned in?

Post by Radio Chili » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 am

AM - KFI/Los Angeles to Gland Rapids, MI - 1900 miles (crow flight miles) during the wee hours almost every night in the 60's thru late 70's. Interestingly, I used to hear WLS and WOWO from Ft. Wayne in Puerto Rico regularly after Midnight when I was there in the late 60's! WOWO's distance was 1900 also. WLS was more than 2000 so I guess THAT's really my AM 'record'?!

FM - Some Salt Lake City FM (can't remember the calls or freq.) heard in Gland Rapids during the big Sunspot DX rage week, middle of the day back in Summer of 1989! 1400 mi.

TV - KOB, channel 4 (analog days) 1AM Eastern, one hot Summer night in 1975 for about a half-hour straight and full quieting! Albuquerque to Gland Rapids - 1250 miles.

Radio Chili

Post by Radio Chili » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:18 am

Radio Chili wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 am
AM - KFI/Los Angeles to Gland Rapids, MI - 1900 miles (crow flight miles) during the wee hours almost every night in the 60's thru late 70's. Interestingly, I used to hear WLS and WOWO from Ft. Wayne in Puerto Rico regularly after Midnight when I was there in the late 60's! WOWO's distance was 1900 to PR. WLS was more than 2000 so I guess THAT's really my AM 'record'?!

FM - Some Salt Lake City FM (can't remember the calls or freq.) heard in Gland Rapids during the big Sunspot DX rage week, middle of the day back in Summer of 1989! 1400 mi.

TV - KOB, channel 4 (analog days) 1AM Eastern, one hot Summer night in 1975 for about a half-hour straight and full quieting! Albuquerque to Gland Rapids - 1250 miles.

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:54 pm
ChrisKun2K5 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:20 pm
From Washtenaw County:
Farthest AM: Probably Cuba. The only Cuban signal I can still hear regularly is the beautiful music station, Radio Enciclopedia, on 530.
Farthest FM tropo: WTTS 92.3 Bloomington, IN
Farthest FM E-skip: WEOW 92.7 Key West, FL

Farthest FM tropo ever: then-WTFX 100.5 Louisville, KY from Gaylord, MI
Farthest FM E-skip ever: then-WZJZ 107.1 Lehigh Acres, FL from Gaylord, MI
Impressive! When I lived in Washtenaw County for a year, my farthest tropo was 105.7 KOKZ from Waterloo, IA. The same day that I got that, the 101.7 out of Fort Madison, IA was in for a few hours as well as 94.1 KRNA from Iowa City, IA
The WEOW catch was probably 2005 or so, when I was DXing from a Target store parking lot in Ann Arbor. I lived in Saline at that time. WWUS 104.1 "US1" was another station out of the Keys I picked up that same day.

I also remember picking up WDUV out of Tampa Bay during that E-skip opening when I was up north. I streamed that station online frequently then so that was a particularly exciting catch for me.

I live in Whitmore Lake now and my farthest FM E-skip from here is probably either KILO Colorado Springs or KHMX Houston.

One summer I picked up KSPK in Walsenburg, CO from my house in Saline, and Emailed them a reception report. They were kind enough to acknowledge my reception and send me a bumper sticker and sipper bottle (unfortunately I no longer have either). I considered myself lucky to get that in an age where anyone could "forge" a reception report based on an online stream. Anyone else get a QSL or other cool souvenirs from faraway stations you heard?

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:58 pm

I seem to remember back in the 70's, someone in Norway picked up WFDF.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 pm

They have heard most of the Michigan AM stations frequently in Scandinavia. The ones below 1000 watts are the ones that are harder to hear, but I have to wonder if they just don't try as hard for those. Shortly after WKMF increased to 5000 watts Daytime in 1959, it was heard in New Zealand. Recently, Dan Greer sent a DX verification of WTRX to someone in Spain. It's too bad a lot of stations no longer do DX tests. I remember WTRX doing a DX test back in the late 1970s or early 1980s with songs and jingle IDs between them. I taped it, but it would be hard to find. I think Don McComb had a DX test tape that was used for those. They use Beverage Antennas in national parks in the winter for those DXpeditions. WXYT and WOOD are heard a lot more now, as are WWJ and WFDF. When WLCM 1390 Holt first signed on with its new Night facility, it was heard almost immediately in Finland as I recall.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

XMTRNUT

Post by XMTRNUT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Back in analog times KWGN-TV-2 out of Denver!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:25 pm

WTRX was often picked up in Northern Europe/Scandinavia. When I was there as Assistant Chief, I answered probably a dozen reception reports from there. While we didn't have QSL cards, we did have bumper stickers, which I sent with a letter.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:05 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:25 pm
WTRX was often picked up in Northern Europe/Scandinavia. When I was there as Assistant Chief, I answered probably a dozen reception reports from there. While we didn't have QSL cards, we did have bumper stickers, which I sent with a letter.
Car Stars?

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 pm

That was about a decade before my tenure there. :D

I wonder if Don McComb was Chief Engineer yet, or just working on the air? He did actually do some air work in the Flint market, I recall hearing him on WTAC a few times. Sure do miss that guy, every day. Had two dreams about him in the last week.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 pm
Recently, Dan Greer sent a DX verification of WTRX to someone in Spain.
Hey Art... How is Dan? I lost track of him some years ago, not long after Cu bought TRX. Last time I saw him, I was working for Doug Fisher at WFDF in Flint, around 1998. Is he still doing engineering? Last I knew, Bob Friedel was doing engineering around the Flint cluster, but that's been a while. I heard Bob passed just recently, but not any details really.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:50 pm
I heard Bob passed just recently, but not any details really.
All I've found about his passing thus far... http://news.michmab.com/robert-l-friedle-1943-2018/
Edit: His obituary if anyone wants to read it: http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/bayci ... =190372483
I left a message of condolence. Bob was a great guy IMO.
Last edited by Ed Joseph on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:19 pm

I saw that WTRX QSL letter report on the internet. One of the other posters here knows him quite well. I think he's still there. Last I remember seeing Dave Gale there, he was with the engineering consultant, it looked like placing new transmission lines in above ground troughs to keep them out of the water. That was in the mid 1970s. Then he went to WCUZ. I think he worked at the Ann St. Studios that also had the WJFM STL and automation in it. The WCUZ/WTKG tower is there. Historically, WJFM was WJEF-FM. After that, Don McComb replaced him at WTRX. He stayed until WTRX came back on the air in 1994. Don McComb was at WSAM on the air. He may have filled in airshifts on WTRX, WTAC, and WACY. Lived in Flushing near Ed McKenzie. Hows that for six degrees of separation? Note also David Leyton on the WTRX 1976 Year End Survey, and also on NBC Nightly News last week. More six degrees and less separation.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:19 pm
I saw that WTRX QSL letter report on the internet. One of the other posters here knows him quite well. I think he's still there. Last I remember seeing Dave Gale there, he was with the engineering consultant, it looked like placing new transmission lines in above ground troughs to keep them out of the water. That was in the mid 1970s. Then he went to WCUZ. I think he worked at the Ann St. Studios that also had the WJFM STL and automation in it. The WCUZ/WTKG tower is there. Historically, WJFM was WJEF-FM. After that, Don McComb replaced him at WTRX. He stayed until WTRX came back on the air in 1994. Don McComb was at WSAM on the air. He may have filled in airshifts on WTRX, WTAC, and WACY. Lived in Flushing near Ed McKenzie. Hows that for six degrees of separation? Note also David Leyton on the WTRX 1976 Year End Survey, and also on NBC Nightly News last week. More six degrees and less separation.
I'll have to poke around see if I can find it. I found Dan on facebook and sent a friend request.

I think have met Dave Gale a couple times when I was a teen. I was a radio station groupie. I visited WTAC and WTRX frequently before I got into radio as a career, in the 80's. I do believe said consultant would have been Harold Munn, who was engineering consultant when I worked there. A brilliant man, IMO.

Speaking of Don McComb... I helped get WTRX back in spec after it went dark as WDLZ. I ran monitor points and sometimes I got to go on the air as the DJ with music and jingles. I brought records from home, had a great time on the air and quite a few calls. Mike Thorp and Johnny Burke caught me on the air and stopped in to visit. It was awesome. I helped Don while I was doing evenings at WTAC when Gore-Overgaard owned it. And, believe it or not, I did a weekend airshift at WFLT when Don was also doing some "charity" engineering there, so I was his "assistant" and got paid to help him. He always called me when he needed a good assistant. I bet we worked ten stations together after my time at WTRX. WACY, WHNN, WIOG/WSGW to name a few.

David Leyton... a name heard in Flint on thousands of occasions. Too bad he couldn't make the Big 6 "big" again. I think some preserverence would have been good, but, honestly, I do not exactly know what the cause of demise was, other than going deeper into a bad economy. I sometimes wonder if the talk on the station perhaps hurt it? Nothing against Perry Wright, he was very good at talk (better than he was a DJ IMO) but just maybe many of the listeners were more devoted to WTRX and didn't follow Perry down the dial. A LOT of TRX callers would say it was the only station they listened to. I always used to ask callers if they liked other stations, btw. Just nice to know.

...and also on NBC Nightly News last week Didn't catch that. What was that about?

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:03 am

..and also on NBC Nightly News last week Didn't catch that. What was that about?

NBC Nightly News Link.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vi ... 84?v=railb&

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:52 pm

That's messed up. I don't watch news much anymore. Too damn depressing and I'm worn out trying to discern fact from spin anymore.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Here's the WTRX DX report from Spain.

http://moladx.blogspot.com/2012/04/wtrx ... a-qsl.html

format this

Post by format this » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 am

I haven’t had a chance (or patience) to DX in years, but I used to pull WHO-AM in Des Moines on my clock radio in Portage. Does anyone pull in WHO anymore on DX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:38 am

When propagation is favorable, which is frequent, WHO is quite copyable in Detroit. It can get wiped out by the IBOC from x1130x 1030 WBZ.
Last edited by SolarMax on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

billmich

Post by billmich » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 am

Last edited by billmich on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:35 pm

AM: WOAI, WWL, KOA. Have tried for KFI in the dead of winter but have never quite been able to pull them in. Largely got out of the habit of DXing AM when I moved too close to WLQR-AM's transmitter, haven't really had the time to pick it up again since they went off the air.
FM: Have never DXed much on FM, but in the summertime it's somewhat regular here in the east suburbs of Toledo to get tropo of 106.5 from Cleveland, overpowering WLQR-FM/WTOD when conditions are right.
TV: In the summer of 2004 I lived near Chicago and had a rooftop antenna before the digital switch. Through E-skip I watched a couple innings of a Baltimore Orioles game on WSKY, channel 4 from Kitty Hawk, NC. It overpowered WTMJ from Milwaukee which I got fairly regularly on 4.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic