I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

NPR Where?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

NPR Where?

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:37 pm

I have a C Crane, low power FM transmitter I use to broadcast my SXM programs all around the house and property. I use 90.1 MHZ because that's an unused frequency in this area. This evening my 90.1 signal is getting buried under an NPR station on 90.1. Anybody have any idea where it might be coming from? I suspect it's somewhere in MI or OH.

My location, for those who don't knew, is London ON, about 100 miles east of Windsor.

audiophile

Re: NPR Where?

Post by audiophile » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:07 pm

WUCX Bay City, MI

The band was pretty hot tonight.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks for that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 pm

WUCX even makes its way into Metro Detroit from time to time. WCMU-FM used to be somewhat common, too, on my side of town until WAHS boosted power. I still do receive WCMU on top of WAHS occasionally.

Labor Day was the first time in ages that I received CKSY over Family Life Radio's 8 Mile Rd translator on my side of town. It's been many, many months since the FLR translator was overcome by CKSY.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 pm

The fm band was very hot most of the day today and looks to be similar tomorrow.

I picked up a French-language station on 101.5. Sounded like an NPR-type station - probably from Canada? Google was of no help on this one. Picked up in northeast Michigan on Lake Huron. Detroit reception was also strong and stable up here most of the day - had an extended listen to 105.1 The Bounce for the first time ever.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:38 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 pm
The fm band was very hot most of the day today and looks to be similar tomorrow.

I picked up a French-language station on 101.5. Sounded like an NPR-type station - probably from Canada? Google was of no help on this one. Picked up in northeast Michigan on Lake Huron. Detroit reception was also strong and stable up here most of the day - had an extended listen to 105.1 The Bounce for the first time ever.

That French station was a real catch. Don't know where it could be from, but it isn't Ontario. Must be Quebec or Manitoba.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/onta ... uences.asp
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:26 am

Low powered 101.5 Sarnia is a translator of CBEF Windsor. That could be what you picked up.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:00 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:26 am
Low powered 101.5 Sarnia is a translator of CBEF Windsor. That could be what you picked up.
That looks like what I probably had. First time I've ever picked this one up, though it looks like it has only been on the air on this frequency since late May of this year.

At 1900 watts, that seems rather short-spaced with WWBN. Has the Banana's coverage east of Flint been adversely affected by this?

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 am

WUCX is very common through Southwestern Ontario, as is, of course 101.5 Sarnia (predictably so). WUCX is in day and night at Long Point and heard at Evangola (Lake Erie Beach, NY outside of Buffalo) perfectly well too. I didn't realize you were in London, Turkeytop. I'll have to post all my Lake Huron and Erie scans here when I finish the work on them, as they are decently close to your location. I haven't bothered with any scans in London for 10 years, though I was in town last week.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 pm

I was searching for signals on 90.1 around the lakes, Buffalo, Port Huron, Cleveland, Erie, ETC... no luck ..There is a CP for a 90.1 in the southern suburban area of Detroit but it will be a christian music format if it is on the air now.
But I found 15 90.1 stations in Ontario but not likely to carry US NPR programming !!!@, I forgot how enormous Ontario is !
Yep WUCX is a big signal , 30 KW on a 150 Meter tall stick !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic