All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/16 at 8:15p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

NOAA weather radio increasingly becoming a laughing stock

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bmw

Re: NOAA weather radio increasingly becoming a laughing stock

Post by bmw » Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 pm
WX radio isn't very mobile without lugging a box with you.
That got me to thinking - I know most of today's smart phones have a built-in FM chip for 88-108MHZ. That means it would be technologically possible to also include a WX frequency chip. Such a chip DOES exist (and has been around since 2013) https://www.silabs.com/products/audio-a ... o-receiver

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Again, nws has a lovely color radar website on an existing part if my smartphone.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 pm

I use Wx radio to check tropo DX conditions. I have found myself actually using Wx radio for it's intended purpose around 1% of the time.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm

We have one at our place in Florida. I keep it on standby. It comes on automatically to warn of impending bad weather.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic