All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WBBM 780 to diplex with WSCR 670

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Re: WBBM 780 to diplex with WSCR 670

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Marcus wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:18 pm
Where I live 880 WCBS is usually the clearest NYC broadcast at night with 770 WABC being second, and both 660 WFAN and 1560 WFME being tied for third. I have heard 1010 WINS and 1130 WBBR before, but they are always interfered with. The tower height vs. wavelength ratio might be hurting WFAN along with the fact that the middle and upper part of the AM band sometimes skips better at night than the lower half.
That is exactly my experience here in south west Ontario.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 pm

We stay just a ways south of the Grand Rapids area in summer, and back to Flint for the rest of the year. The GR area has really odd AM reception than what Flint does. I think all the sand makes for poor ground conductivity. Stations seem like they just don't get out well there at all. A lot like the NW Michigan area. 50kW on AM acts like a 1kW station around Flint, but stations across Lake Michigan blast in on 1kW like they're a mile away. It's not uncommon to hear small AM's from Wisconsin and Illinois beat up a station ten miles away from their transmitter. If you're out on a boat, even on the inland lakes, you're likely to hear anything but what you THINK should be there.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

schmave

Post by schmave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:05 pm

How do the Chicago stations come in by Grand Rapids? I would think pretty well close to Lake Michigan, but that also would be the area where some cancellation probably starts to figure in, at least for 670, 720 and 780.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 am

The Chicago clears as they come in at Grand Haven, MI:

WSCR--670: Monster signal. Not many listeners because it's so Chicago-oriented (not too many Bears or Blackhawks fans around here).
WGN-720: Great signal, with a fair amount of listeners.
WBBM-780: Great signal, has listeners here in spite of Chcago/Illinois emphasis.
WLS-890: Weaker than the other Class As; has a few listeners around here.
WMVP-1000: Signal is only so-so, and gets torn to pieces by skywave/groundwave interaction at night. Even back in its WCFL days, this was a problem, though the station had tons of listeners back in the day. Not very many now.
WYLL-1160: Decent signal days, at night it beams something like 300,000 watts ERP toward this area. Truly something to behold at night, though there are very few listeners around here to WYLL.

Also of note:
WMFN-640: decent signal day and night, though not at the level of the 50 KW blowtorches.
WCPT-820: Listenable signal days (especially with WMJH-810 operating on flea power--with they ever get their XMTR fixed?). At night, gets beat up by Texas.
Anyway, that's what the Chicago reception is like, here on the other side of the Lake.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Looks like they now have a Construction Permit.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=83014

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic