Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UAW prez’s house raided by FBI

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Re: UAW prez’s house raided by FBI

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:02 pm
But you all will still believe that these union bosses work for you!

You also put cops on pedestals.

Union bosses? My Union has 750,000 bosses. We're the members who go to work every day, do our jobs, pay our dues and, every four years, elect our leaders. We're the Union bosses.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Union bosses? My Union has 750,000 bosses. We're the members who go to work every day, do our jobs, pay our dues and, every four years, elect our leaders. We're the Union bosses.
Gee, sounds kind of like a democracy.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:13 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:45 pm

If you’re the boss, why don’t you fire the corrupt bosses that make money off your dues, do no work, and are under federal investigation?
Unlike the President of your country and his associates, none of the elected leaders of my Union are under investigation. And we do, every four years, get the opportunity to fire them. We're the Union bosses.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:18 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:13 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:45 pm

If you’re the boss, why don’t you fire the corrupt bosses that make money off your dues, do no work, and are under federal investigation?
Unlike the President of your country and his associates, none of the elected leaders of my Union are under investigation. And we do, every four years, get the opportunity to fire them. We're the Union bosses.
What country do you think I’m in?
I guess I wrongly assumed you're American. My apologies :) .

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Both my wife and I were born into and grew up in poverty. Indeed, the first few years of our life together, we lived in poverty. I got my first big break when I got a job in a Union shop, with decent wages, benefits and something called a Pension Plan.

For the past nine years I've been retired. We're far from wealthy but we live in modest comfort. No one in the working class should have to settle for any less.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:19 pm

I too was born into poverty, however I’m not a victim. I wasn’t poor because other people were wealthy. I chose a better way. I’ll never be “retired” because I’ll never choose to be. I will always work regardless if I get paid for it now. I volunteer and am outrageously generous. For most of my life I’ve made seven figures in investment income and give most of it away. I make choices and so do you.
I never considered myself a victim of poverty and I never blamed my poverty on anyone else. Yes, I've made choices. And I'm mostly happy with the choices I've made. If I have any regrets, joining my Union isn't one of them.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:44 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:33 am

Did you have a choice to join?

Of course I had a choice. I chose to quit my job in the low wage, non-Union shop where I had been working and go to a workplace where the workers had just recently organized their own Union.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 pm

No one forced me to join the Union. I went to work there so I could join the Union. If I was opposed to Union membership I'd have gone somewhere else.

I don't know where you live but, if it's Ontario, you're colossally ignorant of Ontario law. In Ontario, workers get the opportunity to decertify their Union during the lat 90 days of every collective agreement.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 pm

I don't regret a single nickle of the dues I paid over the years. I recovered it all and more in pension benefits in the first year of my retirement.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:21 pm

-
-
-
-
I think we've pretty much exhausted this topic. We'll never agree.

I'll end by saying that signing a Union card was one of the proudest moments of my life. I've been a proud member of my Union for 45 years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic