Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Free preview of Sirus XM in my car

A place to discuss XM, Sirius, and internet radio.
1027BrianFM

Free preview of Sirus XM in my car

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 pm

I bought a 2008 Honda Civic used this past winter. It's got most of the options, GPS and Sirus/XM radio. The Sirus radio wasn't activated and I've never bothered with it but now I am getting a free preview. I've had it for about a month(3 month preview) and honestly its ok but its not something I'd shell out 250$ a year for. The music stations are kinda repetitious, It seems like I hear the same stuff all the time. I do like ch 33 1st wave and 34 Lithium, 66 Watercolors. It beats corporate over the air radio but I'm not super impressed.

WOHO

Re: Free preview of Sirus XM in my car

Post by WOHO » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:28 pm

If you want to re-live the old WJOI 97.1 / WLQR 101.5 beautiful music days, there is SXM channel 69.
The other thing SXM is good for is Noon Saturdays on XM7 is a rerun of AT40 - BUT they have edited the crap out of them to purge any pre 1970 references or music- go figure.

Willie's Roadhouse features WSM Grand Ole Opry on a delay on weekends.

Many a moon ago, XM had WLW on a channel and WSIX; now they just have KIIS and NYC's 'lite'.

The merger of the two ruined the large playlists that XM used to have, replaced by the mini-playlists that Sirius had. Most XM live hosts were canned except for CH 6.

XM also used to run a special for about 2 weeks every two years: it was called "IT" and IT played EVERY TOP 40 song from the beginning of the Billboard charts up to the 90's. Each decade channel would start with January 1st of the first year of their decade thru Dec 31 of the final year of their decade (and was given wider bandwidth for better audio too during IT playing on it). For music-lovers, IT was the pinnacle of radio broadcasting. IT has been killed since the forced merger of XM, and SXM will not rebroadcast it.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:55 am

I enjoy Prime Country, Hair Nation, Ozzy's Boneyard, 80's on 8, and I like Eddie Trunks program on the new Volume Channel. I'm still on the fence about renewing from my trial subscription. I admit I would feel lost w/o it because it's superior to FM radio. The niche channels are great and play the stuff I like. I think FM radio is somewhat out of touch with what listeners wanna hear.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 am

FYI, they've had their largest preview ever- 100 channels, ending May 30, 2017, IIRC. (less the 2 iHateRadio stations)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:36 am

C'mon now - their name is iHeartless. :)
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Seems there is some sort of free preview of SiriusXM going on right now. I don't know for how long.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Two weeks.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Excellent!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Yes, SXM has a free preview, and instead of the chinzy 20 channels, they have nearly every music station thru September 5th. If you like it when you're done, you can get an offer for 5 months for $20 or 6 months for $25 - just cancel the day before the big rates apply.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 am

A missing channel from that preview was Volume 106. I still am not signing up because of the cancellation policy. They need to get with the program and allow online account management rather than having to call and face high pressure reps trying to keep you. Cancel means cancel.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 pm

I don't know what I'd do without Sirius XM!

I get five great channels for hard rock music (Octane, Ozzy's Boneyard, Liquid Metal, Turbo, Lithium) instead of the one semi-decent option on the FM dial where I live (WRIF).

I don't have to deal with all the commercials, song repetition, and morning DJ chatter that pervades the WRIF airwaves.

Faced with a choice, I'd scale back my cable TV package long before cancelling my satellite radio subscription.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:27 am

I had the preview too...

It's a race to the bottom with audio quality. I'm not sure what is worse, HD radio or Sirius/XM.

The cymbals sound like blowing air between your teeth. The plunk of piano sounded like guitar string breaking.

It's gross.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:45 am

I won't give that scumbag company any money. There is NO reason why they can't allow online cancellations. Anyways I would suggest reading this before any decision to subscribe.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_el ... irius.html

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 pm

The bass on Ozzy's Boneyard and Turbo sounded excellent while driving to & from work today. The song selection I heard on Turbo was phenomenal today. I don't like it when they super compress the audio on the Sirius music channels during busy sports times (often Saturdays & Sundays during the early spring, autumn and early winter).

A large number of complaints on that consumer affairs web site look non-legit to me.

I've never had any issue transferring a subscription from a traded-in car to a new vehicle. I even crossed over from an XM subscription to a Sirius subscription once; my unused time on the XM subscription carried over to my new Sirius radio.

Look how goofy some of the comments are:
These guys offer free trial period with free cars, and insist on a credit card number to get it.
The above post doesn't pass the smell test. You do not need to give a CC number to activate the free trial subscription. It should be fully functional the second you drive your new car off the dealership's lot. If it's not fully functional - your dealer in all likelihood screwed something up.
On a recent trip, I was listening to my iPod for 8 hours straight and all the sudden it cut off. I cannot prove this, but honestly believe that SiriusXM somehow is monitoring my iPod/radio usage and cut the iPod off.
I don't know where to begin with the above comment.

Would it be nice to be able to cancel online? Absolutely! But there are plenty of subscription services that don't allow you to cancel online. So, sadly, Sirius XM is not alone in that regard.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 am

The bass is last to be affected by lossy codec compression - so comment your on bass makes sense.

I have Sirius and HD Radio and they both sound like garbage, yet analog FM sounds great in comparison.

PS WRIF in HD sounds much worse than analog...bass is even thinner...if you can fathom that.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

MWmetalhead, some of the comments on there are definitely lame. I read through several pages actually and many of those complaints are legit about the billing and whatnot. Of course there are some services you have to call and cancel. But the major services you can do online...WWE Network, HULU, Netflix, MLBTV, CBS All Access, etc. so there really is no excuse. I firmly believe that SiriusXM has you call them to cancel is so they can lay the high pressure tactics on you and try to entice you to stay. Somewhere in the comments there was an individual or two that had their credit card expire but instead of SiriusXM cancelling their service they kept billing their account even though their credit card was no longer valid and they had collections calling them.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 pm

firmly believe that SiriusXM has you call them to cancel is so they can lay the high pressure tactics on you and try to entice you to stay.
Agreed.
PS WRIF in HD sounds much worse than analog...bass is even thinner...if you can fathom that.
100% correct. Noticed that in a friend's truck a few weeks ago. The processing sounded like something tailor-made for classical music! It was nothing short of horrendous.

The analog processing for WRIF has sounded halfway decent for a while now. WGRD in Grand Rapids sounds worse than WRIF these days, and WGRD for many, many years sounded terrific in the processing department.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic