Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Catholic radio in Detroit

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14990

Catholic radio in Detroit

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Another thread pointed this out but what would be the chances a catholic group would purchase or enter into an LMA with someone? Detroit has a decent sized catholic population. I am thinking an AM station, would I-Heart spin off 1130?, for example. If I recall, didn't 1290 WCAR air catholic programing at one point?

fuzzpower

Re: Catholic radio in Detroit

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:21 pm

WDEO Ypsilanti comes in fine. If you really want another station, prying one of Crawford’s AM stations would be better than WJR.

WCAR was indeed Catholic until Birach bought it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:51 pm

WDEO's ground system is probably shot. Day signal is flimsy even in eastern Oakland County. It is no stronger than 560 from Monroe; if anything, it is a touch weaker.

As Jeff mentioned, the nighttime signal is garbage.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 pm

With Cumulus dumping out of big markets, I suppose anything is possible. WJR's ratings have been sinking but I would likely say, such a format would wind up on 1130 as noted or if Adell got an FM signal and spun 910 off. I do think, Relevant radio could come to Detroit.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:57 pm

WDEO 990 Ypsilanti has a H*** null to the East-Northeast to protect CFPL 980 in London Ontario. WCAR 1090 (that used to be Catholic radio) also has a null to the East-Northeast to protect an allotment on 1090 in Kitchener Ontario. It will be difficult for a Catholic radio operator to find a signal for sale that covers the East side and Macomb County. They could not afford to buy WJR, WWJ, or WGPR-FM. Crawford is having no problem operating WRDT 560, WMUZ 1200, WCHB 1340, or WMUZ-FM. WNZK 690/680 is Birach’s only successful station and the only one with a decent signal. Family Life Radio WUFL 1030 won’t pull out of the market. Entercom will keep WXYT 1270 to clear CBS Sports Radio. iHeart will hang onto WDFN 1130 to clear Fox Sports Radio and Rush Limbaugh if necessary. Salem will keep WLQV 1500 and WDTK 1400. Spanish WDTW seems successful. That leaves WFDF 910 AM Superstation. Will Adell give up on the radio business or buy/lease WGPR-FM and sell 910?

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:10 pm

couldn't they get an LMA on 107.5 FM? that would decently cover the Metro area... I thought Urban One is looking to pull out from running that one...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm

1340 or 1440 perhaps, come to mind. WGPR LMA, very possible.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 pm

1440 has a terrible signal to the north, to protect the Bay City station, as well as WHLS.

You can likely rule out 1590 Marine City, as they have the translator and playing mostly country music.

1480 is also possible but again, their signal is not good to the NE.

Birach would likely part with 1160 or 1460, if they are ever fully built.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 pm

I don't live in WDEO's null - I'm toward the edge of their NE ward lobe - and the signal still stinks.

It is listenable but on the faint and fuzzy side during the day.

Even when I lived in Ann Arbor twenty years ago, I remember the daytime signal sounding undermodulated.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 pm
I don't live in WDEO's null - I'm toward the edge of their NE ward lobe - and the signal still stinks.
WDEO - FCCdata.org - powered by REC

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WDEO&c ... d=&lang=en

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:02 am

WDEO's Proof Of Performance Radials show that the signal is much weaker than that map suggests, except in a few directions (toward Downriver Radio TL and DA Array areas). It's online on the WMVP Daytime Application. Keep in mind that the whole WDEO area around the towers shows 8 mS/m on the M-3 Map, on which the fccdata.org 2 mV/m maps are based. Almost all radials show substantially less conductivity than M-3. So the signal would be much less than 2 mV/m where the contours show on this and other similar maps.

WDEO application by E.H. Munn and Associates.
WMVP application by Glen Clark and Associates.
Some of the best ever in the business. RIP Glen Clark and Harold Munn. Both were very familiar with Midwest Conductivity.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=3

Areas in Western Michigan East of the 2 mS/m region, and in Central and Northern Lower Michigan are worse still. Many recent applications show many radials in the 0.1-1 mS/m range where the M-3 Map shows 8 mS/m. And I don't believe like some that they are faked, as some have suggested. They don't have to fake the measurements, they're just really bad. Comparisons between various engineers making measurements match up quite well. People who visited Western and Northern Michigan have known this empirically since the 1960s at least. Many AM stations in these signal insulating areas simply gave up (WBMB 1060, WABX 990, WHGR 1290, WSNQ 900, WCEN 1150, WDEE 1500, WSHN 1550, and WATZ 1450 come to mind, among others.)Too bad because now the FCC probably would have allowed them to have FM translators. Others, like WTCM 1400->580 and WMIC 1560 ->660, have moved way down the dial.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:14 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:21 pm
WDEO Ypsilanti comes in fine. If you really want another station, prying one of Crawford’s AM stations would be better than WJR.

WCAR was indeed Catholic until Birach bought it.
WDEO is unlistenable in Northern Macomb County, I hope that Cumulus sells WJR to a Catholic Broadcaster, That would be great, As far as any of the Crawford AM’s none have a good signal even AM 1200 is garbage at night in Macomb County.
990 is a strange beast.

By day, it has to protect WONE in Dayton from adjacent-channel interference and probably needs to protect Jackson and Battle Creek stations from second-channel interference.
Nighttime interference is a whole other ball game. CBW is Class I clear, and is protected in Canada it would be a lot easier if it weren't close to Windsor.

Thus, the send almost no RF to the North at all at night.

The area with a good signal both day and night is extremely small - almost limited to Ypsilanti itself!

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm

I live in Whitmore Lake and I can't hear WDEO at all at night. CBW dominates the frequency. Even the daytime signal is quite noisy and seems to be not as strong as it once was. Even when I lived in Saline, CBW cut in very often at night, especially during the winter months.

My preference would be if the Detroit diocese could start a station similar to Tampa Bay's Spirit 90.5 (Contemporary Christian) or Corpus Christi's KLUX (Beautiful Music). I prefer music formats to talk formats when it comes to Christian radio. When I get in the mood to listen to Christian radio, I want programming that reminds me how good God is and of His love and mercy, not fire-and-brimstone diatribes about abortion or how allegedly evil the LGBTQ+ community is. Music formats like K-Love and Smile FM, while predominantly Protestant, provide that. Talk formats like EWTN generally skew too far to the right for my preference. I would imagine I'm not the only Catholic who feels that way, as I have been in the church my whole life and have met very few people who skew that far right. And many of even the Catholics I know will listen to CCM over EWTN (it doesn't hurt that one of CCM's biggest stars, Matt Maher, is Catholic). Some of EWTN's programming is interesting, but I kind of wish they'd do something to broaden their appeal.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Spirit 90.5 streams -- one of my superiors back in Florida where I worked listened online, alternating between them and The Joy FM, another local CCM station in Tampa Bay that also streams.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Didn't we learn from this the last time? FDR had to call in Joe Kennedy to get the Pope involved... Shrine of the little flower and Fr. Coughlin. Remember? It turned into a Communist cell before the Pope shut that down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic