All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Songs that dont fit the radio format

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Deleted User 10525

Songs that dont fit the radio format

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 am

Recently on WFRO 99.1 out of Fremont OH, which carries a satellite fed Bright/Hot acish format. I heard "self esteem" by Offspring. I for a minute, had thought " wow did they go rock?" no way. Well, the format is the same but the song choice surprised me.

A long time ago, on Mix 95.7 in Toledo I heard "my heart cant tell you no" by Rod Stewart. Which came off as odd to me. I had thought maybe it was a cross over hit on the R&B charts. When the song was new.

What's something that you heard, that just didn't quite fit the stations format?

sfpcc

Re: Songs that dont fit the radio format

Post by sfpcc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 am

This happened a long time ago. I was listening to WRIF and they mentioned a kid around 10 called in and requested My Girl. They could have been jerks and said that doesn't fit our programming, but they played it. I thought that was cool.

Around 1983 WRIF had an overnight programing called Rock Cafe where they played a lot of deep cuts, ("Why Don't You Read The Book" by Nazareth for example.) One night around 2:00 AM I heard "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson, which was weird even for that kind of program. This might be a little cliche but hearing that song for the first time blew my mind.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 am

Usually late at night, when adjusting audio processing, I often asked for Boston's "Foreplay / Longtime" to be played. It is one of the best songs out there to observe low density to absolute packed density audio, with a nice dynamic range overall. It is a great song to observe your final stages of adjustment on many formats.

I had more than one PD come in screaming at the jock for "breaking format", and they usually just looked sheepish and pointed at me. I was usually charging way to much to waste time yelling at me.

Probably helped the ratings at most properties.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:52 am

The local station here does an "All request Friday" within reason. No Alice-in-Chains, Korn, etc. But just about anything else goes. They have an Adult Alternative format.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm

For some reason 93.1 "The Bear" has a really annoying habit of playing The Beastie Boys "Integalactic" at least once a day.

I love the Beasties, but that song makes me want to punch a baby... especially when it is sandwiched in between some decent rock songs.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:14 pm

I've head Mix 92.3 in Detroit play Sam smith before.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:03 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 am
Usually late at night, when adjusting audio processing, I often asked for Boston's "Foreplay / Longtime" to be played. It is one of the best songs out there to observe low density to absolute packed density audio, with a nice dynamic range overall. It is a great song to observe your final stages of adjustment on many formats.

I had more than one PD come in screaming at the jock for "breaking format", and they usually just looked sheepish and pointed at me. I was usually charging way to much to waste time yelling at me.

Probably helped the ratings at most properties.
I usually tried to find song I knew within the format. At Churban stations in the 1990's Rush, Rush by Paula Abdul was great for checking the system. The repeated highly sibilant portions of the song turned most HF limiters to pure distortion.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 am

Not just a song - but an entire syndicated show. Back around the year 2000 when 98.5 WUPS was a Hot AC/Adult CHR station, they carried the short-lived "World Atomic Rhythm Party" hosted by Shadoe Stevens. Played a lot of dance music/hip hop that 98.5 would never have played otherwise. I do have a short aircheck of this show playing the song Take California by The Propellerheads.

A current show that I would say doesn't really fit the format is BackTrax USA - 1990s version on 96.1 WHNN. They actually play some good music that 96 would never touch during regular rotation.

Lastly - WHSB 107.7, back in 2004, for a brief time did what they called "The All Request Drive at 5." They played a LOT of hip/hop and rap music including songs like Dirt off your Shoulder by Jay-Z, Slow Motion by Juvenile, and Tear it Up by DMX just to name a few. They also played some alternative-leaning stuff that barely charted even on the alternative charts, Everybody's Fool by Evanescense being one song I remember hearing.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 pm

WMTE-FM (in its Kool 101.5 days) aired House of Hair for a while in the 2010/2011 timeframe. In the same market, WWKR has aired a Christian music countdown show on Sunday mornings for years, which makes no sense at all especially when there are at least two CCM stations that cover most of K-Rock's coverage area

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:06 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 pm
WMTE-FM (in its Kool 101.5 days) aired House of Hair for a while in the 2010/2011 timeframe. In the same market, WWKR has aired a Christian music countdown show on Sunday mornings for years, which makes no sense at all especially when there are at least two CCM stations that cover most of K-Rock's coverage area
Back in the 90s, WGFM used to serve as a backup for WCBY on Sunday mornings, as WCBY aired local church services. I can remember a few times when WCBY was off air, so the church services were moved to WGFM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic