Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Garage Sale Mystery Gate

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Ben Zonia

Garage Sale Mystery Gate

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Lori Loughlin has been indicted for bribing college officials in return for the admission of her daughter to a prestigious university.

One big disappointing result is that "Garage Sale Mysteries" may be a casualty of this, one that the previously squeaky clean Hallmark Channel would be badly damaged by.

I say that this has been happening for one hundred years or more at Ivy League and prestigious public institutions. It's also been going on in a less quid pro quo form in admission to professional schools over the last 50 years or so. Say, a father gives a generous contribution in return for his daughter being given special consideration for admission to a professional school, without being outwardly quid pro quo. Now we see, athletic scholarships are even being sold this way. The dirty little secret is that the successful legacy graduates' progeny have considerably lower Test Scores and GPA, as well as athletes and minorities.

The solution would be a fool proof proficiency test administered at graduation. The same score would guarantee equal access by all to the cushy entry level and mid career jobs Ivy Leaguers can easily get. Professional Licensing is probably cleaner, but it makes you wonder.

Discuss.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Re: Garage Sale Mystery Gate-Show Cancelled

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:49 am

Now its been cancelled. My spouse absolutely loved this series and others on the channel, and is totally dismayed by this. It was one of the handful of channels she was keeping cable for. Now, it may be time to cut the cable or to scale back considerably. It's a very large monthly fee to carry over into retirement. And without this show, Hallmark may falter, and maybe cable TV itself. If they manage to put Fox News under too, cable as we know it is dead. They might want to tread lightly on the Tucker thing. Two core cable channel scandals in one week is too much. They may be cutting off their noses to spite their faces by canceling shows. The ME Audience is switching over for their Al Jazeera type channels in 27 dialects, and Adult Entertainment Channels to alternative forms of delivering programming. We got their flyer under the windshield wiper when we visited Berkley last week. There goes Greater Dearborn cable hookups.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/when-calls ... 202576139/

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14896

Re: Garage Sale Mystery Gate

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Does it strike you odd that they just don't replace her with someone else, instead of cancelling the show?
When Rosanne got her pee-pee spanked, I would of thought it was no big deal to just hire someone else to do her character. Charlie Sheen got in trouble, they brought in Ashton Kutcher. Was it a traumatic moment for the viewing public? Not really.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 am

Lori Loughlin will look hot in orange. And it won’t be long before Lifetime does a movie on her.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 am
Lori Loughlin will look hot in orange. And it won’t be long before Lifetime does a movie on her.
Don't be too surprised if this whole CollegeGate kind of fades pretty soon.
Postings on other media sites are saying that many politicians, including a former president, are also guilty.
The media is becoming reluctant to shed light on all who have done this apparently.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:17 am

Someone who tries to manipulate the facts wrote:Postings on other media sites are saying that many politicians, including a former president, are also guilty.
Here, let me fix that for you.
Postings on other right wing wacko media sites are making scurrilous claims that are all untrue that many politicians, including a former president, are also involved, but one former president is not. See below.
Don't post unverified shit, it makes you look bad.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coach ... ma-tennis/

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:23 am

This sounds like something the Obama’s started. They’re Not tied in, They created it.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 pm
Steve Korvette wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 am
Don't be too surprised if this whole CollegeGate kind of fades pretty soon.
Postings on other media sites are saying that many politicians, including a former president, are also guilty.
The media is becoming reluctant to shed light on all who have done this apparently.
Heaven forbid that The Obama’s did wrong, They’re royalty remember, The Obama’s could do no wrong, LMAO 😂. Obama was just as crooked as The Clinton’s.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 pm
The solution would be a fool proof proficiency test administered at graduation. The same score would guarantee equal access by all to the cushy entry level and mid career jobs Ivy Leaguers can easily get. Professional Licensing is probably cleaner, but it makes you wonder.
Let me know once that test is developed :rollin:

Success in college, like in other facets of life is more attitude than aptitude. Idiots can be PhDs, geniuses can flunk out. Effort over time means more than one day of performance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic