All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/25 at 4:40p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Interesting article about public acceptance of OTA television

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
mtburb

Interesting article about public acceptance of OTA television

Post by mtburb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Just happened to stumble upon this brand new article that goes in depth on how the general public actually thinks of over-the-air television reception.
https://consumerist.com/2017/08/03/peop ... and-legal/

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

organman95

Re: Interesting article about public acceptance of OTA television

Post by organman95 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 pm

That as interesting. Only problem with OTA today, is in areas like Northern MI, the area is so vast, with trees, hills, etc, coupled with the extensively lower power/coverage area than analog, and it makes for terrible reception, if at all, in my parts. Manistee, where I live, I can't pick up anything except PBS with an indoor antenna. And even that is hit or miss. And the towers really aren't that far away.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 pm

organman95 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 pm
Only problem with OTA today, is in areas like Northern MI, the area is so vast, with trees, hills, etc, coupled with the extensively lower power/coverage area than analog, and it makes for terrible reception, if at all, in my parts. Manistee, where I live, I can't pick up anything except PBS with an indoor antenna. And even that is hit or miss. And the towers really aren't that far away.
Things really get crazy in Philadelphia...literally so many people complained about not picking up WPVI since it ended up on a low-VHF digital signal thanks to decisions made by the House that Mickey Mouse Built and also since it had and has that market's leading newscasts.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Here, the NBC affiliate went from VHF analog to UHF digital. And being as large an area the market is, every network here has a satellite channel. NBC is TV 7&4, CBS is 9&10, and ABC is 29&8. The first channels of all three are based in the somewhat southwest part of the market, while the second channels cover the tip of the mitt and eastern UP.

That said, when Barrington Broadcasting owned 7&4, they botched the shit out of the digital transition. Ch. 4 in Cheboygan covered roughly south to Gaylord, west to Charlevoix (I think), south-east to Alpena (which Alpena is it's own market) and the entire eastern part of the UP. Both running at 300 kw, if I remember correctly. With digital, Ch. 4 is on 35, with only 78 kw, or as some have called the "Fisher Price transmitter" SEVERELY limiting it's signal. To make up for it, they simulcast on Ch. 8 (ABC, broadcast on Ch. 8) which is located in the eastern UP. Which frankly is stupid, because Ch. 8 completely overlaps the nearly entire viewing area that Ch. 4 (35) covers. It's absolutely ridiculous. Darn near the only way to get locals anymore is either via Satellite or Cable, unless the newscasts are streamed online, which most are these days.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 am

WTOM was 100kW analog while WPBN was 316kW analog. At least Barrington did fix WPBN's digital issues by moving to Kalkaska at 500kW (they were originally at a very low power from a tower at their studio west of TC) and plopping down a 15kW translator at Harrietta (where WPBN's analog stick was).

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:23 am

That translator doesn't penetrate through the hills and trees though. I understand contour and boundaries, but let's be realistic...the power needed to stretch a digital signal is FAR more than analog in some areas....

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 am

I cut the TV cord last week. I bought a $30 antenna on Amazon and it works good for ABC,NBC,CW,PBS. It works pretty good for CBS but I might need to tweek the position. Unfortunately I didn't do my homework and it doesn't do VHF so I can't get FOX at all. But I think either Sling or Playstation Vue will fix that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic