All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/16 at 8:15p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The NO NEWS Experiment

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Calvert DeForest

The NO NEWS Experiment

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I decided to give it a try this week, just to see what happens.

Since the beginning of the week, I haven't watched a newscast. Haven't surfed any news sites. Haven't watched any news-related videos or listened to any podcasts about current events. The only news I've listened to are the hourly casts on WGN Radio, as Nick Digilio (who hosts a program without such content) is part of my morning routine. Other than that....nothing. Haven't even ventured into the Pol Pot forum this week. I know just enough about what's going on, but I'm not immersed in it.

The result so far is that I've noticed an upswing in my overall mood. I'm feeling less anxiety and stress. I'm more focused at work and home. I feel more connected with my wife and kids. I have a heightened awareness of my immediate surroundings. I notice people, and find myself more aware of opportunities to assist them when I can. I look forward to quiet time as a chance to just be quiet. Noticeable changes after only five days. Gotta say I'm liking this experiment so far. Wonder how it might feel if I kept this up for, say, a month? Now that I know it can be done, I might just shoot for it.

Anyone else given this a whirl? Thoughts? Results?

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

Big Signal

Re: The NO NEWS Experiment

Post by Big Signal » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 am

I'm with you Calvert, I haven't watched local news in years and I haven't been watching the news networks lately. I agree that I"m less stressed out and I'm busy with other things in my life. Besides that, I don't know what to believe anymore. :?

It's all about the money!

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 am

I did the same thing with social media. It felt great. Unfortunately I had to rejoin because some close connections only communicate that way.

As for news, I don't watch news anymore. If someone in my house turns on anything related to news, I leave the room. If I am caught off guard and do find myself overhearing the typical newsie stuff popular today (or anything related to Trump, SNL, all the social phobias and accusations, etc), I immediately feel my mood changing and find myself in a position to get out of the situation quickly.

Otter Mii-kun

Post by Otter Mii-kun » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 pm

The crap that's presented on the mainstream news is why I don't tune in to television news at all. If anybody has the news on, I try as hard as I can to avoid hearing it, whether it be leaving the room, or even covering my ears with my fingers.

I have enough things in my life stressing me out, and tuning in to television news (especially the major network's evening news programs) will only add to that stress.

Isn't it nice how deregulation has brought us such oversized and dangerously overleveraged broadcast owners? (Yes, I'm looking at YOU, Sinclair, Nexstar, Cume-U-Less, and iFart!)

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Once the Presidential election wrapped up I pretty much completely dropped all polititcal and foreign affairs discussion. I avoid all political websites as well as all news outlets.

I've decided, at least for the time being, that I'm going to exist purely in "my world". My personal relationships are taking priority. The occasional news blurb I might hear in the background has little to no effect on me. When someone wants to bring up politics, religion, etc. I simply shrug my shoulders and say something like, "Couldn't care less".

It's been a great feeling to just say, "screw it" if even for a little while. I highly recommend it.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:40 pm

No news is good news, right? I don't mind news so much but it's really the constant politics I dislike. But I will say I feel a lot better not being exposed to it. I especially stay away from the cable news channels. I don't need constant updates and the various pundant commentaries on them. I don't need to hear network spin either. The media is simply over-saturated with politics.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:53 pm

906XJ wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

I've decided, at least for the time being, that I'm going to exist purely in "my world". My personal relationships are taking priority. The occasional news blurb I might hear in the background has little to no effect on me. When someone wants to bring up politics, religion, etc. I simply shrug my shoulders and say something like, "Couldn't care less".

It's been a great feeling to just say, "screw it" if even for a little while. I highly recommend it.
It's a great plan....and it feels great.

The problem is, on the party bus driving down the curvy mountain road, sooner or later, just as the bus starts to leave the road, someone notices no one is driving. Oftentimes the least qualified driver reassumes the wheel.

Not to knock your position, as I enjoy it too, but apathy is part of what brought us the two absolutely lousy presidential candidates we were faced with in 2016

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 pm

My Family and I have been pretty heavily involved in politics at all levels for the last thirty years.

I'm on hiatus for the forseeable future.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 pm

I surmised your screen name was a tail number......but it's a 33 million dollar item that Delta owns. Would make a killer business jet, though.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Hehe, actually it's the same name I use at the North American XJ Association forum.

My area code (906) plus the code for the early Jeep Cherokee (XJ).

It gets me where I'm going, albeit in a little less style than a private jet!

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Well guys, I fell off the wagon... hard.

It started with a couple posts here in the Political subforum and has escalated to a full relapse back to my old haunts.

I feel dirty. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:09 pm

906XJ wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 pm
Well guys, I fell off the wagon... hard.

It started with a couple posts here in the Political subforum and has escalated to a full relapse back to my old haunts.

I feel dirty. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
That's okay....we're here for you. :razz

Going on week 3, and the results have been noticeable not only to me, but to those around me as well. My wife says I seem more relaxed and focused. Our pastor made the same observation. My boys and I had a fantastic spring break. We went to the library, did a nature walk, visited a local museum and took on a service project. I've been able to set my phone (a.k.a. electronic leash) aside and just enjoy life. It's been good.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic