Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Legendary FM Rock Stations

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14803

Legendary FM Rock Stations

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Living in the Detroit Area Rock Radio was always H*** and we had great radio throughout the years back in 1968 FM was still young stations started to experiment with new formats stations like WKNR FM 100.3 was what they called Underground Rock and WABX 99.5 was Free-Form Radio ,a little later WXYZ FM 101.1 became Album Rock what was the FM Rock station you remember from way back that you wish was still here today?

Arthur Mometer

Re: Legendary FM Rock Stations

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:38 am

The reason the stations began "experimenting" with new formats is because the FCC came up with the rules limiting AM-FM simulcasts. There were exceptions, like Daytimers and COLs under 100000 population.

Frankly, the programming on FM wasn't that compelling the first few years and most people continued to listen mainly to AM. The FM disk jockeys and news people were largely inexperienced, and many were out of control and insubordinate. Many albums were off the wall and tracks played were too long and repetitive, including outtakes and long intros and outros that were boring to listeners after a few plays.

The simulcasts offered static free reception for 60 to 75 or more miles, with much better signals than the 250 watt translators that are now duplicating AM programming. WKNR-FM, WXYZ-FM, WJBK-FM, and CKLW-FM provided service inside buildings and in outlying areas not reached well by the AM signals, particularly at Night. Places as close as Ann Arbor lost those AM signals at Night, and listened to WLS and WCFL and other Class Is at Night, and people like Art Vuolo, John Landecker and Bob Seger all are documented talking and writing about this and listened to them until FM really took off.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:12 am

Unfortunately, I missed the heyday of Detroit rock radio. But for someone my age, I loved when 96.3 went alternative and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention 105dot1 The Edge. Two stations that were rarely, if ever, not tuned in on my radios.

I also loved WLLZ in 1995. Modern rock and AOR? Sign me up!

But having worked with numerous jocks that were there, them telling me stories made me all the more jealous. Everyone I worked with did a stint at W4, WABX, WLLZ or WRIF in the early days. It made me pine for days I wasn't even alive for.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 am

What is sad about that is we will never hear that kind of radio again not even with HD radio CSX had a great idea with Deep Trax on HD 2 but they dropped the ball on that one.

BeerMan

Post by BeerMan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 pm

WABX and CJOM out of Canada were hands down the best. W4 and WRIF were OK but leaned toward being too commercial.

And I disagree strongly with every single word of this quote...

Frankly, the programming on FM wasn't that compelling the first few years and most people continued to listen mainly to AM. Only if you were someones mom or dad! The FM disk jockeys and news people were largely inexperienced, and many were out of control and insubordinate. Sounds like something someone in management would say. Many albums were off the wall and tracks played were too long and repetitive, including outtakes and long intros and outros that were boring to listeners after a few plays. Yes, because radio edit versions and neutered intros and outros and the same old record label approved singles were so appealing.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks for your input, Beer Man.

I don't think its just parents and management who felt like this, but responsible adults and mature older children in general.

Many of these DJs were out of there when they said the seven words or played tracks like Country Joe and the Fish or the MC5 that had those words said in lyrics or spelled out. Some stations weren't really even underground or free form anyway, and had tight playlists unbeknownst to the listeners. They just promoted themselves that way. Advertisers and revenue went to the more restrained programming stations. If you wanted to run a college 10 watt FM NCE or Carrier Current that way, you could go for it, but the over the air stations at least were subject to FCC rules on profanity.

You remind me of the girl who wrote in my 11th Grade Yearbook that "many people disagree with everything you stand for, but not me".

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic