Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just how bad are the Lions?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
craig11152

Re: Just how bad are the Lions?

Post by craig11152 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:59 am

Its a bit disheartening to ponder game management issues given that was a large flaw in the last guy's skill set.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 am

It is especially disheartening when the average Lions fan could manage games better than those getting paid the big bucks. BTW - you don't ever see these issues with the New England Patriots. They end up being the team I root for after Detroit is finished, and they know how to perfectly manage games, week after week, year after year. So I was expecting better with Patricia.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:20 am

Terrific points; I could not agree more!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:58 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 am
It is especially disheartening when the average Lions fan could manage games better than those getting paid the big bucks. BTW - you don't ever see these issues with the New England Patriots. They end up being the team I root for after Detroit is finished, and they know how to perfectly manage games, week after week, year after year. So I was expecting better with Patricia.
The Wikipedia entry for Bill Belichick wrote:The Patriots [in Bill Belichick's first season as head coach] went 5–11 in the 2000 regular season and missed the playoffs. To date, this is Belichick's only losing season with the Patriots, and also the only year in which Tom Brady did not start at quarterback in any regular season games. However, Belichick won 11 games with Matt Cassel in 2008 after Brady suffered a season-ending injury in week 1.
I'm also sure if you follow the NFL Draft, you know it's the "Patriots Way" to strategically trade down, especially in later rounds. Tom Brady was a 6th Round pick. In that regard I find it somewhat ironic when certain fans and pundits advocate tanking a season for better draft position. Until that time when Quinn and Patricia can fully convert a culture of excuses and mediocrity to one of accepting nothing less than winning, we may be in for a long transition period...if the two of 'em stick around that long. The last thing we want to see is another regime being Lionized. It's more disheartening for me to see Lions castoffs such as Riley Rieff, Larry Warford, and Lakin Tomlinson thriving in regular roles on other teams while we spend big free agent money or high draft picks on their replacements...and still founder!

As for Quinn's drafting, would Belichick's regime have taken the likes of Teez Tabor in the second round or drafting a long snapper? :rolleyes

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:11 pm
Number of franchise playoff wins since 1963 (since the Ford Family has owned the Lions) for all 32 current NFL teams:

34 Pittsburgh Steelers
34 Dallas Coyboys
30 SF 49ers
29 New England Patriots
27 Green Bay Packers
25 Oakland Raiders
23 Denver Broncos
20 Indianopolis Colts
20 Washington Redskins
20 New York Giants
20 Miami Dolphins
19 Minnesota Vikings
16 LA Rams
15 Baltimore Ravens
15 Seattle Seahawks
15 Philadelphia Eagles
13 Buffalo Bills
12 Tennessee Titans
12 New York Jets
11 Chicago Bears
11 San Diego Chargers
9 Carolina Panthers
8 KC Chiefs
7 Atlanta Falcons
7 Cleveland Browns
7 New Orleans Saints
6 Arizona Cardinals
6 Tampa Bay Bucs
5 Cincinnati Bengals
5 Jacksonville Jaguars
2 Houston Texans
1 Detroit Lions

And the Texans haven't been in the league for very long. Jags also for a substantially less amount of time. So the next worst team than the Lions is the Bengals, and even they have 5x as many playoff wins as the Lions.

The Ford family has to be the least successful owner of any professional sports franchise in the history of professional sports in the US.

Seriously - look at those numbers. They're beyond pathetic. And you could also argue that Detroit has had considerably more talent through the years to work with than most of the bottom 10 teams on that list.
I know this portion of the thread is two years old, but the point hasn't changed. Pardon me while I try to hash this out.

I'll be 34 next month. All of those teams and their playoff wins, I have witnessed. I was 6 in 1991 so I saw that Lions playoff win. But if you were born after 1991? The one team there you haven't seen win in the playoffs is the Lions. 26 years. Considering how old the Lions are, when I compare them to franchises with storied histories, dynasties, championships....and then there's the Lions. It's even sadder because this league is designed to be competitive every 3-5 years. Even with all other hurdles out of the way, the Lions STILL can't get out of their own way.

I don't remember which post bmw referred to as "vintage Lions", but it doesn't matter. Could be this year. Or 2016. Or 2007. Or 1996. Only one thing comes to mind when I hear "vintage Lions"...missed tackles, dropped passes, running for negative yards, horrendous play calling and clock management. The Lions could be placed in the Super Bowl by the NFL, 38-0, 1:00 left and still find a way to blow it. They just can't get out of their own way. They suffer from delusions of adequacy and celebrate mediocrity.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I didn't see all of those playoff wins. I meant that I have seen all of those teams win one. As I was born January 1, 1985, the first Super Bowl in my life was San Francisco's shellacking of Miami.
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:29 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm
bmw wrote:
Number of franchise playoff wins since 1963 (since the Ford Family has owned the Lions) for all 32 current NFL teams:

34 Pittsburgh Steelers
34 Dallas Coyboys
30 SF 49ers
29 New England Patriots
27 Green Bay Packers
25 Oakland Raiders
23 Denver Broncos
20 Indianopolis Colts
20 Washington Redskins
20 New York Giants
20 Miami Dolphins
19 Minnesota Vikings
16 LA Rams
15 Baltimore Ravens
15 Seattle Seahawks
15 Philadelphia Eagles
13 Buffalo Bills
12 Tennessee Titans
12 New York Jets
11 Chicago Bears
11 San Diego Chargers
9 Carolina Panthers
8 KC Chiefs
7 Atlanta Falcons
7 Cleveland Browns
7 New Orleans Saints
6 Arizona Cardinals
6 Tampa Bay Bucs
5 Cincinnati Bengals
5 Jacksonville Jaguars
2 Houston Texans
1 Detroit Lions

And the Texans haven't been in the league for very long. Jags also for a substantially less amount of time. So the next worst team than the Lions is the Bengals, and even they have 5x as many playoff wins as the Lions.

The Ford family has to be the least successful owner of any professional sports franchise in the history of professional sports in the US.

Seriously - look at those numbers. They're beyond pathetic. And you could also argue that Detroit has had considerably more talent through the years to work with than most of the bottom 10 teams on that list.
I know this portion of the thread is two years old, but the point hasn't changed. Pardon me while I try to hash this out.

I'll be 34 next month. All of those teams and their playoff wins, I have witnessed. I was 6 in 1991 so I saw that Lions playoff win. But if you were born after 1991? The one team there you haven't seen win in the playoffs is the Lions. 26 years. Considering how old the Lions are, when I compare them to franchises with storied histories, dynasties, championships....and then there's the Lions. It's even sadder because this league is designed to be competitive every 3-5 years. Even with all other hurdles out of the way, the Lions STILL can't get out of their own way.

I don't remember which post bmw referred to as "vintage Lions", but it doesn't matter. Could be this year. Or 2016. Or 2007. Or 1996. Only one thing comes to mind when I hear "vintage Lions"...missed tackles, dropped passes, running for negative yards, horrendous play calling and clock management. The Lions could be placed in the Super Bowl by the NFL, 38-0, 1:00 left and still find a way to blow it. They just can't get out of their own way. They suffer from delusions of adequacy and celebrate mediocrity.
The Lions May be the most exciting football team around... they always find new... dramatic... mind boggling... and exciting ways to lose...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:49 am

NS8401 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:29 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm
bmw wrote:

34 Pittsburgh Steelers
34 Dallas Coyboys
30 SF 49ers
29 New England Patriots
27 Green Bay Packers
25 Oakland Raiders
23 Denver Broncos
20 Indianopolis Colts
20 Washington Redskins
20 New York Giants
20 Miami Dolphins
19 Minnesota Vikings
16 LA Rams
15 Baltimore Ravens
15 Seattle Seahawks
15 Philadelphia Eagles
13 Buffalo Bills
12 Tennessee Titans
12 New York Jets
11 Chicago Bears
11 San Diego Chargers
9 Carolina Panthers
8 KC Chiefs
7 Atlanta Falcons
7 Cleveland Browns
7 New Orleans Saints
6 Arizona Cardinals
6 Tampa Bay Bucs
5 Cincinnati Bengals
5 Jacksonville Jaguars
2 Houston Texans
1 Detroit Lions

The Lions May be the most exciting football team around... they always find new... dramatic... mind boggling... and exciting ways to lose...
Exactly. Every week you say to yourself "There's NO WAY they can blow THIS one". And then an hour later, you're shaking your head saying "I can't believe they fucked that up. Fkn Lions!!!"

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 am

Not to mention, when you get down to the nitty gritty, the Lions don't have that signature game or season...ooh, pardon me. We won 12 games one time and we won one playoff game. Whoopie. But I've seen them win 12 games once. Never a 13-3 or 14-2 season like I've seen with other teams over the years. For other teams, if they went 10-6 or 9-7, heads would roll. Fans want answers and changes made. Us? A 9-7 season is a success because we might back into the playoffs. And yes, we have had lots of talent over the years. But we've also had a lot of busts, or players that went on to be successful with other teams. But we've never had that storybook season, where we pulled it out against all odds, winning the tough game, putting up the numbers and the plays where we had to. Where losing wasn't an option. Every season, it's anyone's guess who could make the Super Bowl. But you know who isn't going to be there, year after year. And the Fords thank you. Because they know a little lip service goes a long way with this fan base. Just go to the podium, make a little speech, toss out a cliche or two, and then sit back and watch the money roll in.

I remember in 2008 when my youngest brother (who is on the spectrum) slammed his hand down on the arm of the chair and went into his room crying after ANOTHER loss on the way to 16 of them. I had to sit him down and explain to him that this is a Lions fan tradition. They upset our father, they upset his father, and someday, I look forward to them upsetting my kids. That's the Detroit Lions in a nutshell. Losing so bad and so often that it actually drives people to tears. And not in a good way.
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-TurkeyTop

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:57 am

NS8401 wrote:
What we/I need to do is a reset of what we think we are watching. Instead of watching an inept sports franchise I'm going to try viewing them as a weekly comedy show. The more inept and bungling they are the funnier the show.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:25 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:57 am
NS8401 wrote:
What we/I need to do is a reset of what we think we are watching. Instead of watching an inept sports franchise I'm going to try viewing them as a weekly comedy show. The more inept and bungling they are the funnier the show.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Perspective. Very zen of you!

-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:42 pm

To answer the original question of "Just how bad are the Lions?" So bad that they're being poked fun of on Jeopardy. This was from last night's episode.

btw - isn't this really a 2-part question, with the correct answers being "Detroit Lions" and "No." ?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhKEHMYSGM

I can't get enough of this video. Go ahead, enjoy it. I found myself laughing out loud because it's so true.

Ironically filmed the summer before we went 0-fer.

-TurkeyTop

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:41 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhKEHMYSGM

I can't get enough of this video. Go ahead, enjoy it. I found myself laughing out loud because it's so true.

Ironically filmed the summer before we went 0-fer.
:rollin That's beautiful! :lol

The narrator mentioned that QB Greg Landry wasn't that "fleet of foot", but there was a time earlier in his career before all the knee injuries when he was known as "Galloping Gregory". I remember he once had a 60+ yard run on a quarterback draw up the middle!
bmw wrote:btw - isn't this really a 2-part question, with the correct answers being "Detroit Lions" and "No." ?
Not really, since the game is predicated on the clue being an answer and the response being in the form of a question...but, nice commentary. :blink

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Well imagine that! The Lions were THREE points away from tying the game in the 4th and they fell apart. Gifted a defensive pass interference call at the LA 25 and still only walk away with three points. A win today against the 10-1 Rams (who I've seen be terrible and a winner, something I've seen from all NFL teams other than Detroit) would have been a confidence boost and a statement. I mean, 9-7 (a Lions favorite) may very well win a playoff spot and they still can't pull THAT off. Looks like another 16 and out season.

-TurkeyTop

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm

So many things I could comment on but I'll settle on that last onside kick with almost 3 minutes , 3 timeouts and a 2 minute warning.
:shock:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic