All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The Death of PBS/NPR?

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Vic Doucette

Re: The Death of PBS/NPR?

Post by Vic Doucette » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm
FET-500 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 am
if you're in south eastern Michigan: WDET pulls a 0.6
You're missing the point. This isn't about ratings. Sure, NPR could boost its ratings by filling the hours with mindless chatter, celebrity gossip, sports news, head banging music and screaming political rants. But the other stations are already doing that. NPR's goal is to produce high quality programs and they do that admirably. NPR's programs are available to everyone if they choose to listen
The point is not about saving tax dollars; the money going to public radio and TV is demonstrably negligible. The point is attempting to silence programming that someone doesn't like.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:33 pm

The point is not about saving tax dollars; the money going to public radio and TV is demonstrably negligible. The point is attempting to silence programming that someone doesn't like.
If defunding NPR didn't silence it, they'd probably look for another way to silence it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:01 pm

FET-500 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:46 pm
Here is the entire US Federal budget. You people are wasting energy on Public broadcasting?
It's a $1.35 for each citizen. Money is spent on a station nobody cares about if you're in south eastern Michigan: WDET pulls a 0.6
This is a fine place to start cutting. We can battle over entitlements later.
Nice try, public broadcasting reaches approximately 15 to 18% of the market. The commercial radio ratings book does not accurately reflect public broadcast radio listenership. Try pulling RCC data.

Even in the days of Arbitron commercial broadcasters didn't want public broadcasting included. In Traverse City, 22% of listeners spend time with public radio each day.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:01 pm
FET-500 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:46 pm
Here is the entire US Federal budget. You people are wasting energy on Public broadcasting?
It's a $1.35 for each citizen. Money is spent on a station nobody cares about if you're in south eastern Michigan: WDET pulls a 0.6
This is a fine place to start cutting. We can battle over entitlements later.
Nice try, public broadcasting reaches approximately 15 to 18% of the market. The commercial radio ratings book does not accurately reflect public broadcast radio listenership. Try pulling RCC data.

Even in the days of Arbitron commercial broadcasters didn't want public broadcasting included. In Traverse City, 22% of listeners spend time with public radio each day.

None of that addresses the $1.35 some of us may not wish to contribute.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 pm

FET-500 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 pm
None of that addresses the $1.35 some of us may not wish to contribute.
I have paid 72 million dollars to the Trump corporation this year for the Government's use of his golf clubs. I guess you will need to just suck it up. Also, 3 billion in subsidies to the oil companies. There are bigger fish to fry in government waste.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

KevakaTheGr8

Post by KevakaTheGr8 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm
FET-500 wrote:
if you're in south eastern Michigan: WDET pulls a 0.6
You're missing the point. This isn't about ratings. Sure, NPR could boost its ratings by filling the hours with mindless chatter, celebrity gossip, sports news, head banging music and screaming political rants. But the other stations are already doing that. NPR's goal is to produce high quality programs and they do that admirably. NPR's programs are available to everyone if they choose to listen
I agree that PBS and NPR's goals are to produce quality stuff. One thing that I hate about commercial stations is that they always fill the hours with these mindless shows where everyone is dumb and can't take anything seriously and boring sportscasts constantly INTERRUPTED by Verizon's cheesy ads which make hardly any show left. Even though I'm going into 7th grade in a week (as of 8/19/18) I still watch PBS Kids and I'm an only child and they somehow make the humour not mindless. Even though Delta Dental makes WKAR air these sponsorship messages during PBS Kids breaks alongside these boring WKAR Family spots and random music videos (in which the music videos and the sponsorship messages are worse than Verizon's ads, why does MSUFCU need to use GoAnimate) but at least they're not shoved into my face every five minutes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic