Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Radio stations with the longest-running formats?

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Radio stations with the longest-running formats?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:17 pm

WMMQ was actually America's first FM Classic Rock station. IIRC, Fred Jacobs had previously launched the Classic Rock format on an AM station in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. WMMQ most likely is the longest-running station with the format.
Fred Jacobs is full of shit.

While it's true that the WMMQ brand (launched in 1983, I believe) is indeed the longest SURVIVING classic rock station,WMET in a tiny little market called Chicago was positioning itself as Classic Rock in 1981. You can find TV commercials for that station from its classic rock days on YouTube. I do not believe for a split second that Fred Jacobs was unaware of what WMET was doing back then. Did he refine the formula a bit? Certainly, but it sure as hell was not a completely original idea. That said, I do acknowledge that he's been a tremendous advocate for the format (and has obviously made himself a wealthy man thanks to his well-regarded consulting services).

In terms of longest running formats - WFUR AM & WFUR FM from Grand Rapids certainly belong on the list. The AM station has aired Christian music, teaching & church services continuously since the late 40's or early 50's. I believe the FM station went 100% Christian sometime during the 60's.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Speaking of Christian stations, WMPC (1230 Lapeer) has been a Christian station since the day it signed on in 1926!

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:14 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 pm
Speaking of Christian stations, WMPC (1230 Lapeer) has been a Christian station since the day it signed on in 1926!
Christian radio since 1926? Interesting. Wonder what exactly the programming was then

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:02 am

organman95 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:14 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 pm
Christian radio since 1926? Interesting. Wonder what exactly the programming was then
George Beverly Shea, same as today.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

jry

Post by jry » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm

If it hasn't been mentioned, WMUZ went up in 58 or 59. Close to 60 years in it's present format. Speculation is that it'll be the only Christian station on the air, AFTER the rapture.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm

LOL
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

jry

Post by jry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:55 pm

[quote=MWmetalhead post_id=563378 time=1509319051 user_id=2]
[quote]WMMQ was actually America's first FM Classic Rock station. IIRC, Fred Jacobs had previously launched the Classic Rock format on an AM station in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. WMMQ most likely is the longest-running station with the format.[/quote]

Fred Jacobs is full of shit.

While it's true that the WMMQ brand (launched in 1983, I believe) is indeed the longest SURVIVING classic rock station,WMET in a tiny little market called Chicago was positioning itself as Classic Rock in 1981. You can find TV commercials for that station from its classic rock days on YouTube. I do not believe for a split second that Fred Jacobs was unaware of what WMET was doing back then. Did he refine the formula a bit? Certainly, but it sure as hell was not a completely original idea. That said, I do acknowledge that he's been a tremendous advocate for the format (and has obviously made himself a wealthy man thanks to his well-regarded consulting services).

In terms of longest running formats - WFUR AM & WFUR FM from Grand Rapids certainly belong on the list. The AM station has aired Christian music, teaching & church services continuously since the late 40's or early 50's. I believe the FM station went 100% Christian sometime during the 60's.
[/quote]

Remember that Fred was sitting there in Charlotte, doing his thing, but he is wrong. It seems to me that he got into a bit of trouble there and was shown the door. This was before the FM was split off of the AM. My ex brother in laws brother was on the air there..... I wonder if he remembers. I think that there was an expense problem.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:04 pm

I'd say things worked out pretty well for Mr. Jacobs at the end of the day. :)

It's no secret that 92.7 was in dire straits (pun intended) at the time.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

RonTMD

Post by RonTMD » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 am

I doubt anyone will top WMPC - a Christian station from the beginning in 1926. Even WWJ changed formats through the years ... remember the talk shows in the '60s and of course NBC Monitor, and the NBC shows of the pre-TV era. If you like antique radios and broadcast equipment, stop in and check out WMPC's museum in the basement. You'll see a Doolittle-Falknor transmitter from the 1930's and the first Gates audio mixer (4 channels), among other things. They held on to much of the retired equipment in the early days. But when it comes to formats, WMPC has held steady for nearly 91 years.
When it rains ... you get wet

jry

Post by jry » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:16 pm

I can remember that the owners were complaining about Freds expenses, what he was charging to the stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic