Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Tons of info out today on CBS/Entercom merger spin-offs

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Tons of info out today on CBS/Entercom merger spin-offs

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 pm

I won't bury the lead here - the BIG news is the stations the combined CBS/Entercom will be divesting in Boston.

This list is now considered "official" :
1030 WBZ
98.5 WBZ-FM (The Sports Hub)
100.7 WZLX-FM (a Classic Rock outlet with very strong ratings)
97.7 WKAF-FM
680 WRKO

Source: radioink.com
(https://radioink.com/2017/10/11/shakeup ... bard-move/)

So, the only CBS stations being kept by the combined entity are 103.3 Amp Radio and Mix 104.1!

Of its existing properties, Entercom will unload a Class A FM signal (WKAF) and a ratings challenged 50 kW directional AM (WRKO).

Post-merger, "CBS Radio" (which will be run by Entercom's David Field) in Boston will consist of the following:
-93.7 WEEI-FM (sports)
-103.3 WODS-FM (CHR)
-104.1 WBMX-FM (Hot AC)
-107.3 WAAF-FM (Mainstream Rock, rimshooter from Worcester market)
-850 WEEI (sports; leased to ESPN Radio)

Clearly, Mr. Field was interested in having a critical mass of stations that could reach female listeners, which is why he decided to keep WODS and WBMX and unload the highly successful WZLX and WBZ-FM.

He apparently favors keeping incumbent Entercom stations over incumbent CBS stations. I found it very interesting that WEEI-FM is being kept whereas WBZ-FM is being divested. Even more interesting to me is the fact signal-challenged (and ratings challenged) 107.3 WAAF is being kept in lieu of the much more successful Classic Rock 100.7 WZLX.

More details to follow in my next post...
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Tons of info out today on CBS/Entercom merger spin-offs

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Here is the list of all incumbent Entercom and incumbent CBS stations to be spun-off, inclusive of the previously mentioned stations in the Boston market:

**CBS Radio**
KMVQ-FM/San Francisco
WBZ-AM/Boston
WBZ-FM/Boston
WZLX-FM/Boston
KFNQ-AM/Seattle
KJAQ-FM/Seattle
KZOK-FM/Seattle
KHTK-AM/Sacramento
KNCI-FM/Sacramento
KYMX-FM/Sacramento
KZZO-FM/Sacramento

**Entercom**
KBLX-FM/San Francisco
KOIT-FM/San Francisco
KUFX-FM/San Francisco (this is technically a San Jose station, but San Jose is part of the S.F. consolidated Nielson market)
WKAF-FM/Boston
WRKO-AM/Boston

KZOK in Seattle is a big money maker, as is KOIT in San Francisco. There are undoubtedly companies already salivating over those two stations! Of note, both Country stations in the Seattle market are being retained.

I am surprised that KMVQ was put on the divestiture list instead of Entercom's KRBQ.

KOIT + KMVQ will be POTENT combination for attracting female listeners & ad dollars!!! Seems absolutely nuts to get rid of both. Alice @ 97.3 (retained) will be fenced in from multiple sides and will only be complemented by KRBQ.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Analyzing the San Francisco situation more, it appears the only two successful brands that will stay with CBS/Entercom are KCBS and Alice @ 97.3.

The other holdings will consist of the following underachieving, perennial losers:
--95.7 The Game (ratings starved sports station)
--Q102 (the best of this group arguably, but shitty signal)
--Live 105 (ratings starved modern rocker)

Why on earth would you give a competing company the chance to pick up *both* KMVQ and KOIT???

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:33 pm

I wonder if there will be some format flips with the stations Entercom retains

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic