Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-16-2017 at 6:00p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

FM on Smart Phone

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
TC Talks

FM on Smart Phone

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 am

I just picked up a new phone and was amazed that it had FM. The reception varies based on your headphone cord, I was picking up stations out of market like WUPS.

Neither Samsung nor iPhone have this. Given Motorola's history with frequencies, I wonder if they hold the patents blocking others from having FM.

Motorola Moto4G Plus, excellent phone for $250 btw.

(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

TC Talks

Re: FM on Smart Phone

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 am

Cool, it covers global freq ranges...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:34 pm

My last two HTC phones have had FM. Good to hear Moto has it.

DXing on a plane with my phone was fun. DX'ing on the 10th level of cruise boat in the Bahamas was in interesting too!
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 pm

My Samsung Galaxy S7 on Verizon has it.

I'm told that most / all phone have the hardware; it's dependent upon the carrier enabling it or not. Verizon was not doing it for quite a while.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:42 pm

My LG phone also has FM.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Not a phone, but the last couple of generations of the iPod Nano also had FM tuners. Does a pretty decent job. Like all similar devices the headphone cord is used as an antenna. I'd guess you'd not be able to listen to FM on a phone unless it was with phones, and not its little tiny speakers.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:00 am

SolarMax wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 pm
Not a phone, but the last couple of generations of the iPod Nano also had FM tuners. Does a pretty decent job. Like all similar devices the headphone cord is used as an antenna. I'd guess you'd not be able to listen to FM on a phone unless it was with phones, and not its little tiny speakers.
As long as the headphone is plugged in as an antenna, it can be switched to the speakers. The HTC One has very respectable audio for it's size, with two front-firing speakers. You even get some bass. :blink

Most phones have really poor audio, tin can and rope!

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 pm

My ZTE Zmax Pro has FM as well (using he headphone wire as the antenna).

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 pm
I'm told that most / all phone have the hardware; it's dependent upon the carrier enabling it or not. Verizon was not doing it for quite a while.
Yeah, this is what I've read, too. Basically every phone has an FM tuner built in. But US carriers often don't permit it to be activated.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:01 am

My old LG Power had the FM tuner app. It was nominal, but not great. The headphone wire doesn't make for the greatest antenna I guess. I have a Sony Walkman with a digital AM/FM tuner (yes, they still make them) that easily outperforms the phone. Don't use the radio much, as most of what I listen to these days are podcasts or streamed content. Still, it's nice to have an old-school option.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:49 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:34 pm
My last two HTC phones have had FM. Good to hear Moto has it.

DXing on a plane with my phone was fun. DX'ing on the 10th level of cruise boat in the Bahamas was in interesting too!
I have to give this a try...

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

Moto G 1st Gen had it, and so does the current Moto G4 Play, both on Verizon.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:15 am

Platecap, how did you get Verizon to unlock the hostage FM chipset? How far back in the Samsung Galaxy line is there an FM chip?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:10 pm

I recently bought a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and I have Verizon.

My old S4 didn't support the NextRadio app at all. However, on my S7 Edge, it works perfectly.

I'd rate the sound quality, interface, and station/song ID data as "good" across the board. The high end response on my phone is particularly good.

Reception isn't bad, either. I'd describe it as comparable to my clock radio's reception. At my location, I can pick up the WLQV, WDTK, and K-Love (WMXD HD-2) translators with ease. 99.9 MHz and 94.3 MHz are a bit fuzzy, but listenable, as is CJWF from Windsor. Depending on where I'm standing in the house, I pick up either the WEXL translator or a (monaural and scratchy) CHYR when tuned to 96.7 MHz.

Downsides? Given the fact smartphones are mini-computers, it should come as no surprise that the AM band is nowhere to be found in the NextRadio app. Sadly, the developers of the app view the AM band as so "niche" that it's absence from the app is mentioned nowhere on the app's "FAQ" page!!

Also, the app (and your phone's FM chipset) are only designed to receive analog FM. So, if you're hoping to use the app to hear your favorite HD2 or HD3 station, you're out of luck.

Overall, on a four star scale, I'd give this app 3 stars. I'm fairly impressed with it.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 pm

I don't have a Smart Phone, just a Trakfone CellPhone .
Doesn't take pictures , doesn't play games, it can get on the internet if buy some kind of app but burns up my minutes at an extra high rate doing that.
I got it for emergencies in case my Wife or extended family wants to get me when I am away from the house.
I have heard this model called "an Obamafone" because it is cheap and doesn't do much :D.
If I want to listen to radio I have several portables that work on AM and FM and one has AM/ FM/ CW and SSB reception on short wave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic